Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 777809 times)

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Free To Play! "I have manslaughtered 1,593 physicians"
« Reply #7530 on: December 07, 2011, 01:06:39 pm »

Har. Har. Har.

No flaming intended -- I'm fine with all sorts of people as long as they don't propogandize.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7531 on: December 07, 2011, 06:04:31 pm »

Naw, "Homophobic" is a buzzword that can mean either any insult calling sexuality into question, or any dissaproval of militant homosexual activists.

Honestly, WHY!? Why not pick a better word? Plenty of buzzwords for the cause of the day are less misleading...

You must live in a strange and terrifying world. Here, go join your people and leave this thread.

On the subject of keys, I did some math. You can give yourself a 99.99% chance to get an unusual hat by opening about 700 crates. The interesting thing is that if 10000 TF2 players do that, there will statistically be 100 players that get no hats at all...

Wow, that wiki is sad.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7532 on: December 07, 2011, 06:35:44 pm »

I don't see how anyway can really be sore about Valve introducing crates or the Mann Co. Store. The game was 4 years old, it stands to reason it wasn't garnering a whole lot of new sales. However, it still had a huge regular playerbase of people with hundreds to thousands of hours. It made sense, and helped them justify the transition to Free-to-Play. And Valve resisted making it "Pay-to-Win", which I have a lot of respect for, instead making cosmetic changes (Unusuals, Stranges) the only stuff you wouldn't be able to get through straight grinding - and even then you could theoretically get it through trade. Crate drops are a little annoying if you don't intend to ever open one, but besides that...meh.

Naw, "Homophobic" is a buzzword that can mean either any insult calling sexuality into question, or any dissaproval of militant homosexual activists.

Honestly, WHY!? Why not pick a better word? Plenty of buzzwords for the cause of the day are less misleading...

You must live in a strange and terrifying world. Here, go join your people and leave this thread.

On the subject of keys, I did some math. You can give yourself a 99.99% chance to get an unusual hat by opening about 700 crates. The interesting thing is that if 10000 TF2 players do that, there will statistically be 100 players that get no hats at all...

Wow, that wiki is sad.

I think you mean to say it's fascinating and hilarious. Total derail, though.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7533 on: December 07, 2011, 06:42:12 pm »

Yeah, whenever I find myself giving humanity too much credit, I go visit Conservapedia for a while.

But back to the thread, I agree that Valve has done a laudable job balancing an honest, balanced F2P experience and making a reasonable amount of money.

Going even further back, did Mr. Mann ever beat up that ninja doctor?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7534 on: December 08, 2011, 12:21:24 am »

(And that's assuming you mean ping, not latency. Ping is defined as the round-trip time; latency is the one-way time. The game displays ping on the scoreboard. If you actually meant latency... that's downright terrible!  :P )

Uh, I'm looking at the column labeled "latency" in Steam's server widget.

And yes, you can't do much with the Steam Community until you've paid money for a game. It's to prevent spammers signing up new accounts and posting everywhere.

That makes sense. I wonder if there's a cheap game I can pick up...

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #7535 on: December 08, 2011, 01:32:00 pm »

So guys, Soda Popper or Shortstop for my scout?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7536 on: December 08, 2011, 01:50:43 pm »

The Soda Popper is Force-A-Nature turned situationally practical (as opposed to almost completely impractical). Use it with the pistol. The Shortstop, despite having been nerfed recently, is still pretty crazy, especially with forced crits (four 50+ damage shots at medium range?).

I'd say Shortstop, unless you really like the pistol for some reason.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7537 on: December 08, 2011, 01:54:26 pm »

Shortstop. It's probably the best gun for the scout. I choose to use the FaN because I like it for the movement abilities, but it's not fantastic.

Hey, you know what needs to be added? A melee weapon with knock back. It doesn't need to do a lot of real damage, and it wouldn't be very good for outright killing, since you have to chase the enemy down every time you hit them, but it would be great for controlling melee combat in a new way, and for playing with near environmental hazards.

Maybe as an engie's weapon, so he has something fun to play with in Medieval mode. Since his weapon has a big effect on what he's building, there's lots of ways to balance it. Maybe -20% repair rate or something.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7538 on: December 08, 2011, 04:28:03 pm »

Maybe as an engie's weapon, so he has something fun to play with in Medieval mode. Since his weapon has a big effect on what he's building, there's lots of ways to balance it. Maybe -20% repair rate or something.
Concussive Air Can
Can remove sappers, can't repair or upgrade buildings
Has airblast ability of pyro's main weapon
Deals normal damage in melee range
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7539 on: December 08, 2011, 04:36:34 pm »

Little too weak, I wouldn't use that at all without the ability to build. How about it has half the attack speed, which would translate into making it significantly worse for building and de-sappering?

I imagine a large wooden mallet would work.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7540 on: December 08, 2011, 04:42:12 pm »

Little too weak, I wouldn't use that at all without the ability to build. How about it has half the attack speed, which would translate into making it significantly worse for building and de-sappering?

Too weak, even with airblast? Reflect rockets and grenades at the cost of needing a teammate to upgrade your buildings, plus enhanced melee and the knockback to shove things around?
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7541 on: December 08, 2011, 05:02:35 pm »

Ah, I misread that- I thought I couldn't build or repair stuff. Still, if it's an air cannon, it makes the engine in a burnable, flameless pyro with a pistol.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7542 on: December 09, 2011, 01:19:09 am »

Too weak, even with airblast? Reflect rockets and grenades at the cost of needing a teammate to upgrade your buildings, plus enhanced melee and the knockback to shove things around?

Unable to upgrade or repair?  I'd never use it.   If I'm going to need a teammate anyway, a pyro/engie combo seems it'd be a lot stronger than an engie/engie airblast combo.  Particularly since pyro/engie can operate independently if needed, while an engie with a normal level 1 sentry isn't doing much.

KG
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 01:21:10 am by kg333 »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7543 on: December 09, 2011, 01:49:53 am »

Engi/airblast engi would allow two level 3 sentries, and defend em from rockets and grenades better, whereas with just the pyro, you'd only have one sentry
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 774