Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781931 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

Scouts have a rarely-publisized second role of harrassing the primary engie buildings: teleporters. Of course, it seems like most engies build one-shotable nests with turrets, making them resistant to scout attack.

Ideally, the Sabatour would somehow mitigate the sentry somehow, giving the scout an edge. Perhaps it has an alt-fire that stuns turrets? Anyway, something to let him get in close to untended engie nests and clear them out.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

Spies have been theorizing that the Saboteur would eventually be a spy weapon due to the name. Seems the makers of these things themselves decided it was a scout weapon, so no real base for saying the scout took it from the spy. The scout already has a secondary for dealing with sentries, wouldn't mind another.

I absolutely love the Mule Molestor
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile

Molester doesn't just mean harmful unwanted sexual attention. That's its popular interpretation. It means unwanted, aggressive harassment.

Which works for the Scout.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Look, I think it'd be best to just keep the scout away from any pack animals...   :P

On a side note, there's an idea for an engineer secondary...:

Brass Beast of Burden
Allows the construction of a robot mule the engineer can store a built sentry, dispenser, and teleporter inside at the the same time (they would be in the unbuilt, "carried" state, of course). The items stored inside could be of any level. The robot mule would have the health of a mini sentry and would be vulnerable to sappers. It would follow the engineer until the engineer removes all the items from inside it. Equipping the Brass Beast of Burden would remove the wrench's ability to speed up assembling by hitting buildings. Replaces the pistol. The Brass Beast of Burden would provide engineers with a convenient method of getting an engineer nest to the front lines quickly while remaining vulnerable to interception.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

The engie should never carry anything for more than five seconds. He certainly should never carry everything from the spawn to the front lines.

A level one sentry that is operational ten seconds from now is far, far more useful than a level three sentry that will be operational several minutes from now, and infinitely more useful than a level three that was destroyed when the engie carring it was shot.

Here's a quick primer on engie strategy:

1: First, build an entrance. If there's setup time, upgrade it. If it's level 3 and you still have time in setup, build everything else.
2: Leave everything there. Get shotgun. Get out the front gate asap. Kill enemies
3: Find a good place for a teleporter exit. Throw it down and keep moving.
4: Set up the sentry in a good place to harass the enemy.
5: Set up the dispenser in a good place to help your allies.
6: 3,4, and 5 should be different places.
7: Rotate between these places and mix it up.

Of course, it's a bit different in defense; you have time to establish a nest before the game starts. However, don't just build all three things on top of each other. Space them out enough so that enemies can't take them all out at once.

Remember, if you've carried something for more than five seconds, you might as well leave it be, then remote-detonate it and rebuild it whereever you're going.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile

I find that more engies should focus on the teleporter than anything else.

It's probably the most important thing in his arsenal.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Absolutely. One player, of any class, is more powerful than a sentry, on average. A teleporter can bring you ten players per minute.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Absolutely. One player, of any class, is more powerful than a sentry, on average.

I wouldn't say that, necessarily. But a sentry's usefulness is inversely proportional to the skill of the enemy team. Against a skilled, or even just coordinated team they're little more than a distraction.

The only time I prioritize a sentry over a tele is when there's a short distance between spawn and the area I'm trying to lock down, or the battlefield's a huge clusterfuck and I'm worried about being able to defend my other gear.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile

It feels like a sentry is generally used wrong.
A sentry is an denial of area weapon, and to give your team mates a safe place to fall back too.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I understand the point of building up on the front line instead of quickly making a level 3 back at spawn and porting it to the front lines, but comeon guys. How many times as the enemy team absolutely crushed you before you could build anything up, always seeming to attack when your teammates could barely not help you? Sometimes you just need a solid NO of a sentry to deter some teams, and you gotta build that at spawn.

If you have tried to build on the front lines but get interrupted a few times then just build at spawn.

Also new sentry idea because this one is baller.

+Shots have reverse knockback
 +200% knockback effect
 +Rockets at Level 3 increase knockback effect on target by 200%(Additive)
 -Suffers falloff
 -Damage reduction(15-20%, whatever works best)

Basically a sentry for going "GET OVER HERE!". I want it to do low damage at range but pulls enemies closer, dealing quite a bit of damage at close range. I was considering a much more massive damage nerf(50%?) and dealing minicrits at point-blank range, but the pull mechanic seems more of the point and is already incredibly powerful. I may want to decrease the health or make this sentry not be affected by falloff/allow crits to deal extra damage to allow a chance for captured enemies to escape the situation, and force engies to help it out and kill their victim before they destroy the gun.

Knockback changes will just be simple. When hit by the level 3 rockets the victim will receive double knockback force for perhaps eight seconds? I want to leave some extra time on there so soldiers and demos can have some fun, but not too much time so a wall of bullets doesn't become a pushback wall on whatever uberpairs decide to rush in. The bullets of this gun would deal quadruple knockback on targets affected by the rocket debuff.

Two options for how falloff would work. Either the very edge of the range for the sentrygunwould suffer a .5 multiplier to damage which would be reduced until a 1.0 multiplier at midrange. Or the second option of having .5 damage at the furthest tip which curves up to 1.0 at point-blank. Both of these would apply to the max range of the Sentrygun, 1100 HU. Midrange for the gun would just be halfway, 550 HU.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 09:06:36 pm by Duke 2.0 »
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If your team can't protect you long enough to build a level 1 sentry, what makes you think you can get a level 3 built, carried, and then deployed under fire any better? And worse, the time it takes you to build that sentry is time the enemy isn't dealing with your sentry at all. A level one in place is worth something; a level three that isn't placed somewhere, or died in transit when the enemy team targets the soft, squishy engineer carrying it, is worthless.

A sentry that has reverse knockback and no other changes might be interesting...

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A sentry that has reverse knockback and no other changes might be interesting...
If by interesting you mean,"The most OP weapon in the game", sure.
It's hard enough to not die from a sentry when you CAN run away from it. A vacuum sentry would be a direct upgrade. Buffing something that doesn't need buffing at all is bad.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile

Also new sentry idea because this one is baller.

+Shots have reverse knockback
 +200% knockback effect
 +Rockets at Level 3 increase knockback effect on target by 200%(Additive)
 -Suffers falloff
 -Damage reduction(15-20%, whatever works best)

At that point just make it a straight up deploy-able tractor beam. Has more health than a normal sentry, faster to set up, longer range, prioritizes fast moving targets, completely distinct art and hitbox, can only shoot around 50 degrees in front of itself, replaces normal wrench and replaces normal sentry. Not sure about leveling it up.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sentry counters scouts, oh wait, silly items everywhere now nothing makes sense anymore :I

Tractor beam sentry sounds like fun. Add a shield (take only 10% of normal damage or so from the front)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

See, changing stuff up too much just feels weird. I kind prefer minor changes with one quirky feature as the core.

The addition of falloff to the SG would help mitigate the tractor beam effect at longer ranges and provide a way for enemies to escape if they are quick on their feet. It also ensures that despite dealing constant damage it won't kill a target before it gets pulled in close. Knockback boost is added to compensate for the heavily reduced damage at most ranges so it can achieve its job somewhat. I consider adding slower turn speed to help out scouts a little bit.

Gotta be fragile though; I want foes to have a chance of dealing with this thing. Some mechanic for dealing more damage to it the closer you are. I don't know if ramp-up affects sentries though. I know crits don't, so who knows.

If your team can't protect you long enough to build a level 1 sentry, what makes you think you can get a level 3 built, carried, and then deployed under fire any better? And worse, the time it takes you to build that sentry is time the enemy isn't dealing with your sentry at all. A level one in place is worth something; a level three that isn't placed somewhere, or died in transit when the enemy team targets the soft, squishy engineer carrying it, is worthless.

A level 1 sentry can easily be dealt with by two people. A level 3 is slightly more problematic and provides much better area denial. This generally works better on cart maps where you can afford to take some time letting the enemy team advance so long as your gun is denying a part of the track later on. It's still a very situational tactic though.
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 774