Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 549 550 [551] 552 553 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781596 times)

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
Meet the Pyro, coming soon
« Reply #8250 on: April 27, 2012, 08:46:53 pm »

*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Free To Play! World's #1 hat simulator "Outsmart bullet"
« Reply #8251 on: April 27, 2012, 08:48:36 pm »

Alternate universe Aperture Science gets to see Meet the Pyro before we do? Damn it, that's unfair!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8252 on: April 28, 2012, 03:00:14 am »

The pyro is my favorite class.
Nothing like people goin all liek: 'PYRO EEZ NOSKILL  BRAH!' and then falling out of the sky with my flamethrower, burning him and running away while i unload lead into his body.
Thats why i want meet the pyro.
Tough i wonder what new weapons will come for the pyro? The only good alternative flamethrower is the degreaser. lets hope valve doesnt screw up again.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8253 on: April 28, 2012, 03:08:32 am »

The pyro is my favorite class.
Nothing like people goin all liek: 'PYRO EEZ NOSKILL  BRAH!' and then falling out of the sky with my flamethrower, burning him and running away while i unload lead into his body.

Heh. That, or having someone bitch about how pyros are useless, and can't do anything about a sentry. Cue another pyro demolishing said sentry nest singlehandedly.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8254 on: April 28, 2012, 04:11:22 am »

Pyro's can be scary, but not from ambushing with a flamethrower. I was playing huntsman tonight when a pyro reflected my jarate, and then immediately reflected my arrow into my head. When I WTF'd, his response "I'm a Pyro."

Yes you are sir. Yes you are.

Makes me wish I could pull that kind of crap, but I never really play Pyro anymore. I play with a lot of people who can reflect effectively, and that alone makes Pyro a viable class. Shit is deadly.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8255 on: April 28, 2012, 09:00:48 am »

Yup.
My reflection skills are getting worse tough, so i need to play more pyro.
Another funny thing about pyro is how there are 3 or 4 excellent pyros on my favorite server. (including me)
and how we all play pyro diffrently, but all are awesomely good.
Sentry's are hard for pyros to take down unless you can get to them and start circlestrafing them. (but thats true for every class)
Deflecting arrows is hard. But nothing like owning a charging demo by just standing still and pressing m2, then proceeding to shotgun him.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8256 on: April 28, 2012, 11:33:13 am »

Kunai is a bad weapon and there are too many bad spies using it. Only excuse for using it is the high of using its novelty for fun.

SIR. You have insulted my honor. Kunai is best knife to use when DRing:

If you take more than 60 damage as spy with your cloak down, more often than not you're boned anyway (against decent players).
If you're using the dead ringer the low health vulnerability can be largely negated anyway.
The health buff after a stab lets you (if spotted) escape without major risk, engage others head on, or continue a chain-stab even under heavy fire (since you keep getting overheals). As long as you make the first stab, you're golden.
You can ignore healthpacks completely. Just find another back.
Backstabs extinguish you. Totally boss.

TL;DR <3 Kunai
Sorry buddy, health bonus is less than a soldiers total, and they also die near-instantly to everything. Especially in the point-blank range of maximum rampup needed for stabs. DR works just fine with other knives and more health, healthkits are generally next to metal pickups you want anyway. Only now you can be oneshot by everyone instead of two!
Yeah, as a primary spy player kunai isn't worth the effort. Any pyro worth his salt isn't going to let a spy stab freaking anything after they find one. They just corner spies with airblasts. If a pyro findes you, the first thing you should be doing is making the DR fake-kill and extinguish you while you run like a little girl.

At most, the only two knifes I end up using are the normal one and the Eternal Reward, the latter only being used with the Familiar Fez & L'Etranger to make use of the silent decloak ability.

Silent DR decloaks are fantastic, by the way. Only downside is that because of the Eternal Reward you're basically worthless around engineers until you can stab up a decent disguise.

The nerf has really made sandviches much less useful.  If you have a medic buddy, I understand, but otherwise, I don't see a reason to carry it around.  The reason you use shotgun is that you don't get any movement penalty and don't have to wait for spinup etc.  If you walk into an enemy group you have time to back off to cover and can punish pursuit at the same time  Use shotgun while scouting and switch to mini once you determine where to ambush at.
I don't know why people think the sandwich is ruined forever. Let's ignore the fact that you're still a walking healthkit dispenser for your teammates (protip, not just pocket medics!). Clear and area but take a lot of damage in the process, get in an ambush position without full health, kill a pyro whose afterburn is going to finish you? Munching on Sandvich is still often quicker than running down a healthkit. Sure, sometimes you get caught munching, but honestly I think that makes it more balanced and fun. It still comes in more useful than the shotgun, for me.
The thing that made the sandvitch so useful for a heavy is that it made for a perfect retreat mechanic. If you were taking too many hits, turning tail, dropping one down, pulling out the running gloves, then retreating to the next choke point back was a fantastic strategy. Now, that mechanic is totally bungled because heavies now have to be incapacitated while eating it normally. Retreating under the buffer made by that initial, quick heal is made impossible now.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #8257 on: April 28, 2012, 11:54:52 am »

The problem was, every single heavy had the sandvich, precisely because it was so good. Now it fulfills more of its original use- healing in exchange for being incapacitated for several seconds- and doesn't make the shotgun entirely useless.

Honestly, I'm not cheering that it happened, but I do respect that Valve is putting effort into making the game stay at a constant power level instead of each new item being slightly stronger than earlier weapons.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8258 on: April 28, 2012, 12:10:04 pm »

The problem was, every single heavy had the sandvich, precisely because it was so good. Now it fulfills more of its original use- healing in exchange for being incapacitated for several seconds- and doesn't make the shotgun entirely useless.

Honestly, I'm not cheering that it happened, but I do respect that Valve is putting effort into making the game stay at a constant power level instead of each new item being slightly stronger than earlier weapons.

pff, if they'd want to do that, they'd remove the 10% extra damage from the backburner.
No offense to you. But backburner gives the pyro a bad name and causes people never to learn anything new, instead jsut infinitly w+m1-ing at the enemy infinitely.

EDIT:
Anybody opposing me, think about this:
If you are ment to attack people from behind. why would you be able to win from a normal pyro in 1v1 combat?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 12:18:12 pm by miauw62 »

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8259 on: April 28, 2012, 01:50:52 pm »

Not to mention the enforcer, essentially all of the spy cloaking devices, the Jag, the equalizer and the splendid screen...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8260 on: April 28, 2012, 02:29:20 pm »

Not to mention the enforcer, essentially all of the spy cloaking devices, the Jag, the equalizer and the splendid screen...

Wait, are you calling the C&D overpowered?

???

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8261 on: April 28, 2012, 02:43:37 pm »

compared to the invisibility watch, a spooky ghost sheet would be an upgrade.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8262 on: April 28, 2012, 04:30:29 pm »

compared to the invisibility watch, a spooky ghost sheet would be an upgrade.

I see you don't use it often. It's the best watch of them all.

Why do you think it's so bad?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8263 on: April 28, 2012, 06:21:52 pm »

If you're claiming all of those are overpowered or a straight upgrade, you should look at a video of how much time the jag takes off construction.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8264 on: April 28, 2012, 10:26:03 pm »

Id say the Jag is fairly balanced, though I play alot of engi, as an eg:  My strange normal wrench has a sentry kill:melee kill ratio of 11:1, my gunslinger has 6:1 and my Jag has 30:1,  the build speed is great but it often feels like using a wiffleball bat for melee, which is pretty much essential against spys
If life gives you lemons, burn them.
Pages: 1 ... 549 550 [551] 552 553 ... 774