Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 657 658 [659] 660 661 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781052 times)

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Summer of Balance '13 "Hey, lotta' good that gun didya!"
« Reply #9870 on: September 28, 2013, 12:38:18 pm »

Medic, Soldier, Demoman, and Heavy are all the easiest ones, IMO.
Sniper and Engi are also quite easy, but there are a few finer points that make them a little bit trickier.
Scout and Pyro are somewhere in the middle, as they are sort of fragile, but fast and with close range weapons, and capable of killing even a heavy in seconds.
Spy is the most difficult, but also one of the most rewarding. Bad spies will get spotted and die almost immediately, good spies will kill the entire team many times over and make sure there are never any hostile sentries/teles up anywhere.

Thank you for that bit of information. From what little I've done in the game so far I seem to do alright with Heavy and so-so with Soldier. I'm terrible with Demoman but that's because I don't do good in FPS when it comes to grenades due to some brain and nervous system stuff that fucks with my general perception of things. I'm going to try Medic later since that along with Sniper and Pyro might be up my alley. Right now I've got to wait for my mother to get here. She's bringing me some stuff from several towns away.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9871 on: September 28, 2013, 12:48:41 pm »

Another apprentice wishes to join the ranks of the Pyros.

Quick tips:
-Don't ever use phlognisator or backburner. These guns are widely accepted as noob guns and they nerf the airblast, which is one of the most important abilities of the pyro, a lot.
-Practice your reflexes for reflects and know your projectiles. Reflecting a rocket makes it mini-crit, but, most importantly, it makes it on your team's side, so it can't harm your teammates anymore. Reflected pipebombs are also on your side.
-Know your maps. Pyros benifit enormously from being able to ambush enemies and confuse them.
-Use airblast liberally. If there are no other enemies around, you can juggle them in the air with your airblast so they won't be able to escape.
-Flare gun is not always superior to the shotgun, choose whichever one fits your style. Flare guns (mini)crit burning enemies.
-Check for spies and learn to recognize the hit noice, so you can detect if somebody is a spy even if they're using the spycicle. If you find a spy, use your airblast to lock him in a corner and burn him to death.

Yeah, I like playing pyro. I'm pretty good at it.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9872 on: September 28, 2013, 12:57:02 pm »

My advice? Try out the medic, but make sure that you pay close attention to healing all your nearby teammates. A common pitfall of new medic is that they'll do what's called 'pocketing', where they only heal a single teammate.

Also, when playing pyro dont bother spychecking. /kidding

(I main spy :P)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9873 on: September 28, 2013, 12:59:28 pm »

Nah, Phlog is devastating when used right, though lack of AB does suck. (getit?)
Don't use the Degreaser + Axtinguisher combo though. People will hate, and I mean HATE, you for delivering instant >195 damage to the face (or back, for that matter).

Try the Medic sometime, too!
Everone wants one but nobody wants to play him (unless you're a Medic main, but those are hardly ever seen outside the competitive scene).
Trust me, with slightly intelligent teammates you can guarantee victory with a well-timed Übercharge.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9874 on: September 28, 2013, 01:05:42 pm »

I only ever use my Axetinguisher against heavies, since it's rather hard to kill them without it unless they're really bad.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9875 on: September 28, 2013, 01:20:56 pm »

Heavies are usually hard to kill to begin with, Axt or not.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9876 on: September 28, 2013, 01:29:18 pm »

Since you're a beginner I would advise playing a class that isn't terribly vital to your team or people will yell at you. Although people yell at you anyways for no reason sometimes.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9877 on: September 28, 2013, 01:32:14 pm »

The only class that is vital to a team is an engineer, since most servers restrict the amount of engineers on one team.

If you want a nice, friendly server, I'd recommend Aerolite Gaming (ALG). I've played there quite a bit and the regulars are friendly. There's a 24/7 turbine map and a 24/7 2fort map. There's also a payload map but it's empty most of the time, sadly.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9878 on: September 28, 2013, 03:10:36 pm »

Sooo any opinions on the quickfix?
I kinda like it because it often causes enemies to fire at you even if they don't have the firepower to take you out and you can uber MUCH MUCH more often.

The downside of course is the fact you can still get stabbed by a spy and enough damage at once (stickies) will kill you or the heavy obered or not... and the no overhealing of course.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9879 on: September 28, 2013, 03:16:29 pm »

Sooo any opinions on the quickfix?
I kinda like it because it often causes enemies to fire at you even if they don't have the firepower to take you out and you can uber MUCH MUCH more often.

The downside of course is the fact you can still get stabbed by a spy and enough damage at once (stickies) will kill you or the heavy obered or not... and the no overhealing of course.

It's my favorite Medigun, despite the community saying otherwise.
It's just more flexible and less punishing to use, and until I can afford a Strange Kritzkrieg it's my favorite Strange.

It's a Spammer MG (along with Vaccinator) in a way, as opposed to Elitist MGs ie. Kritz and stock.
And I like spamming (in that context anyway. Forum spam is rightfully frowned upon.)

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9880 on: September 28, 2013, 04:25:40 pm »

Well I'm getting the hang of the Heavy class. Against the AI I managed to score 33 points in one match. Then again I've got the stamina to play maybe two or three matches before starting to wear out so I can't really play too much. I'll give that server a try sometime but right now I'd like to practice a bit more with the AI before I do any multiplayer. I'm kind of worn out from moving heavy furniture and drunk off of large amounts of Rockstar and Mountain Dew thanks to the ADHD bit so my estimation is that I'd do multiplayer by the 2nd to the 5th of October at the earliest, give or take a day or two.

I'm in no mood to rush as I'm still trying to get a feel for the controls. I don't play many FPS, if any at all, and I'm used to third person view so first person is kind of disorienting to me. I am going to consider giving Pyro a t6ry sometime so I thank you for the advice everyone. I'm also interested in giving Sniper and Medic a try as I may have said. In hindsight I don't like Soldier too much but I'd be willing to give that one a shot as well given opportunities to practice.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9881 on: September 28, 2013, 04:33:55 pm »

Don't worry about practising offline, the majority of people on public servers are pretty terrible anyway. If you put in any modicum of effort or thought you will probably be pulling at least your own weight.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9882 on: September 28, 2013, 04:34:05 pm »

When you do do multiplayer, try public servers (The Valve #** *gametype* servers)

They tend to have a lower average skill level so you're not completely fish-out-of-water from the get-go.

Practising on AI is all well and good to get the controls down and skills related to your own character, such as rocket-jumping or when to pop an uber-charge as the medic. But the AI isn't exactly comparable to actual players. Be prepared to change up any and all habits you built against the AI.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9883 on: September 28, 2013, 04:37:25 pm »

To be fair, the AI isn't bad. It's just, well, different.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9884 on: September 28, 2013, 04:39:11 pm »

To be fair, the AI isn't bad. It's just, well, different.

Cue Scout bots with pistols.
Pages: 1 ... 657 658 [659] 660 661 ... 774