Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 659 660 [661] 662 663 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781775 times)

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Summer of Balance '13 "Hey, lotta' good that gun didya!"
« Reply #9900 on: September 29, 2013, 09:05:04 am »

Some fancier items do make life easier, but you'll get them soon enough from drops if you play enough.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9901 on: September 29, 2013, 09:20:25 am »

Levels don't matter, just what the item actually is. I still don't know why they have levels, really.

What rocket launcher?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9902 on: September 29, 2013, 09:21:13 am »

Some fancier items do make life easier, but you'll get them soon enough from drops if you play enough.

Mostly applies to melee weapons, since the only ones that aren't trash are the Bottle, Knife, sometimes also Kukri and Fists.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9903 on: September 29, 2013, 09:31:38 am »

I think the bottle is kinda crappy considering what you can replace it with.
The Eyelander comes to mind here. Sure, a little less max health, but if you can get 2 kills with it, you're already running like Usain and have made up for most of the health loss.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9904 on: September 29, 2013, 09:52:17 am »

Clearly the Pain Train is the best melee weapon.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9905 on: September 29, 2013, 10:00:24 am »

Levels don't matter, just what the item actually is. I still don't know why they have levels, really.

What rocket launcher?

The Beggar's Bazooka, which doesn't seem very good at first glance, especially since with how I've been using the Soldier's rocket launcher I've been using it at long range - making it less effective.

Mostly applies to melee weapons, since the only ones that aren't trash are the Bottle, Knife, sometimes also Kukri and Fists.

That's good to know considering that if I do die in melee it's usually to a Spy or a Scout. Usually though I'm blown up by rockets,  torn up by miniguns, headshotted by sniper rifles, exploded by grenades or burnt to a crisp by flamethrowers. I can't dodge for shit, especially since the whole brain and nervous system stuff I have do deal with because of my Autism and Tourettes makes my reflexes and sometimes my reaction time a little on the poor side in most situations.

In other news I gave Sniper a try against the AI. My points went down drastically but my survivability increased exponentially. I died maybe four times in three matches, which is a record low in my case so far. I think I might give Sniper a try on the public servers later to see if I die less often.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9906 on: September 29, 2013, 10:12:21 am »

Just a heads-up; there is never ever a team that needs a sniper.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9907 on: September 29, 2013, 10:18:12 am »

As a side-note, I would recommend fiddling with your mouse-settings. I tend to have mine around... 3? ish? some low number like that. with 50% acceleration. Allows me to do fine-aiming while also whirling-around if I need to to take out being behind me (I play spy a lot)
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9908 on: September 29, 2013, 10:26:01 am »

Bollocks. Heavy-medic pair walking all over your payload cart in hightower? Bust out dem sniper and fire away. I've single-handedly turned matched around with the Huntsman.

'Sides, sometimes it's not about team necessity. Technically, no team ever needs a sticky-jumping skullcutter-wielding Demotard, but I play that all the time. "Countersniping" I'll call it when I'm haunting sniper perches.
And your team doesn't already have 3 snipers? Really, there is a saturation of players that like playing only as sniper.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9909 on: September 29, 2013, 10:35:55 am »

I call it the "CoD effect"

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9910 on: September 29, 2013, 10:44:50 am »

I myself use a mousepad to play, so I tend to stray away from sniper. Well, I used to. I've found that I'm pretty lucky with the Huntsman, especially when there's a lot of people on a server. Even when there's very few, I can get a really decent number of kills. Add that to the Jarate/Bushwacka combo, and I make a decent sniper.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9911 on: September 29, 2013, 11:07:29 am »

I myself use a mousepad to play, so I tend to stray away from sniper. Well, I used to. I've found that I'm pretty lucky with the Huntsman, especially when there's a lot of people on a server. Even when there's very few, I can get a really decent number of kills. Add that to the Jarate/Bushwacka combo, and I make a decent sniper.
That's only a result of the fact that the Huntsman uses the same hitdetection mechanism as the rocket launcher. Ie, the heads are about a cubic meter large.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9912 on: September 29, 2013, 11:15:35 am »

That's only a result of the fact that the Huntsman uses the same hitdetection mechanism as the rocket launcher. Ie, the heads are about a cubic meter large.

Hence the term Lucksman.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9913 on: September 29, 2013, 11:32:51 am »

If you're going to play soldier, start with stock equipment or at least not the beggar's bazooka. You'll want something much more precise to learn to properly rocket-jump, which is essential for soldiers.

Also, turning hit sounds on is quite useful. As a Pyro I mainly use it to hear if my enemies are still burning.
If you're being hit by anything but not dead yet, try to find out where the damage is coming from and take cover.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:34:43 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9914 on: September 29, 2013, 11:46:35 am »

As a side-note, I would recommend fiddling with your mouse-settings. I tend to have mine around... 3? ish? some low number like that. with 50% acceleration. Allows me to do fine-aiming while also whirling-around if I need to to take out being behind me (I play spy a lot)
This may help a lot more than just me experimenting with various builds. I'll give that a shot.

Bollocks. Heavy-medic pair walking all over your payload cart in hightower? Bust out dem sniper and fire away. I've single-handedly turned matched around with the Huntsman.

'Sides, sometimes it's not about team necessity. Technically, no team ever needs a sticky-jumping skullcutter-wielding Demotard, but I play that all the time. "Countersniping" I'll call it when I'm haunting sniper perches.
And your team doesn't already have 3 snipers? Really, there is a saturation of players that like playing only as sniper.

So far I like playing as Heavy, Sniper and Soldier, in that order. Ergo I can say I'm not one of those guys.

If you're going to play soldier, start with stock equipment or at least not the beggar's bazooka. You'll want something much more precise to learn to properly rocket-jump, which is essential for soldiers.

Also, turning hit sounds on is quite useful. As a Pyro I mainly use it to hear if my enemies are still burning.
If you're being hit by anything but not dead yet, try to find out where the damage is coming from and take cover.

I'll keep that in mind. I'm thinking I should look over the manual because there are various commands I see people using that I don't know how to use yet. So far all I can do is walk, jump, shoot, and shout MEDIC. I'd like to be able to do more.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:49:07 am by MadMalkavian »
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.
Pages: 1 ... 659 660 [661] 662 663 ... 774