Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 662 663 [664] 665 666 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781111 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Summer of Balance '13 "Hey, lotta' good that gun didya!"
« Reply #9945 on: October 01, 2013, 11:24:39 am »

All you need to spend money on is something like a single key or so so you can get tradeable items. I've got a set of really nice gear by trading. (Strange Flamethrower for vintage backburner & vintage flaregun, Strange shotgun for one ref and that mexican sombrero with skulls for the Pyro for I don't know how much actually.)

Also, if you're coming in 4th or 3th place in your team as a Medic, that means one day you'll be able to come in first with twice as many points as the second person. It's a great feeling.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9946 on: October 01, 2013, 11:35:16 am »

All you need to spend money on is something like a single key or so so you can get tradeable items. I've got a set of really nice gear by trading. (Strange Flamethrower for vintage backburner & vintage flaregun, Strange shotgun for one ref and that mexican sombrero with skulls for the Pyro for I don't know how much actually.)

Also, if you're coming in 4th or 3rd place in your team as a Medic, that means one day you'll be able to come in first with twice as many points as the second person. It's a great feeling.

Yeah, once you get good at medic, you'll top score like nothing just from healing people and popping ubers. You basically never need to kill anyone to get the most points. Though, in essence, points don't really mean anything, but top scoring as Medic just shows you're doing your job.

Actually, I take that back, I'm actually something of a medic main, and my nemesis is any other medic on my team. I hate it when I look at the scoreboard and he's scoring higher than me. When I'm outscoring him, on the inside I'm all like "YEAH, IN YOUR FACE OTHER MEDIC! WHO'S THE HEALER NOW BITCH!" I don't know if this is healthy or not.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9947 on: October 01, 2013, 04:47:35 pm »

It's totally healthy. You're a medic! It has to be!

ALTERNATIVELY:

It's called the free market! If he was the better medic they'd all go to him for healing!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9948 on: October 01, 2013, 05:59:10 pm »

Yeah, once you get good at medic, you'll top score like nothing just from healing people and popping ubers. You basically never need to kill anyone to get the most points. Though, in essence, points don't really mean anything, but top scoring as Medic just shows you're doing your job.
I once saw proof of a guy top-scoring solely using the extinguish function of the Manmelter. 43 extinguishes. Points are a little broken.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9949 on: October 01, 2013, 06:27:04 pm »

I find the medic-pocket-medic love triangles that sometimes pop up interesting. I know when I play medic, some serious passive aggressiveness goes on when another medic gets overly flirty with my steady patient. "Oh no, the other medic burned to death, I guess I was looking somewhere else".

Generally medics are desperate for a good pocket, and the first impression of hats/miscs is the easiest way to filter candidates. Most experienced medics wouldn't think of ubering a lowly hatless peasant, and some won't even bother overhealing baldies and the begibus'd masses. Usage of the voice menus often seems to reassure medics that you're paying attention and/or have used a keyboard before, which is another good first impression for getting pocketed. 'MEDIC!' is pretty crude, I usually go for the more refined 'Help!', and of course a 'thanks'. More advanced voice menu usage is also nice, like jeering when your team fucks up, 'nice shot'/'good work' when your medic gets a kill, etc... fully wooing a medic to where they'll follow you literally anywhere takes a lot of stuff like that.

Oh, and don't let them die. I guess that's important too.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9950 on: October 01, 2013, 06:32:26 pm »

Medics who pocked and then don't heal other team members really irk me. It's not like keeping one person alive helps much if everyone else has to hang back and scrounge around for health instead of actually fighting.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9951 on: October 01, 2013, 06:34:13 pm »

Don't use "Help!". Seriously. As a main medic, as someone who is on the other side of the interface design, DON'T USE "HELP!".

Use "e", use "Medic!". It's that close to your wasd for a -reason-, "Medic!" gives me an indicator on where you are and how much health you have, so I can triage. All help does is tell me you're in trouble. No, not even that. It tells me "someone" is in trouble. I don't know who except their name, and I have to hover everyone nearby to see if they're even close to me, let alone actually need help. Nor does it tell me what kind of trouble, nor how much health you have, or if you even want a medic and instead want a soldier to come and take out a sentry.

Have a heart. Don't "Help!"

I don't even care if you don't use thanks or not, though I like it and I use it too. But "Medic!" versus "Help!" is a matter of interface, UI, triaging, and the difference between you getting a prioritization when you're on fire and at 20% health and you dying horrible while I'm still trying to figure out who actually called for help in the first place.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 06:37:46 pm by Descan »
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9952 on: October 01, 2013, 06:35:14 pm »

I find the medic-pocket-medic love triangles that sometimes pop up interesting. I know when I play medic, some serious passive aggressiveness goes on when another medic gets overly flirty with my steady patient. "Oh no, the other medic burned to death, I guess I was looking somewhere else".

Generally medics are desperate for a good pocket, and the first impression of hats/miscs is the easiest way to filter candidates. Most experienced medics wouldn't think of ubering a lowly hatless peasant, and some won't even bother overhealing baldies and the begibus'd masses. Usage of the voice menus often seems to reassure medics that you're paying attention and/or have used a keyboard before, which is another good first impression for getting pocketed. 'MEDIC!' is pretty crude, I usually go for the more refined 'Help!', and of course a 'thanks'. More advanced voice menu usage is also nice, like jeering when your team fucks up, 'nice shot'/'good work' when your medic gets a kill, etc... fully wooing a medic to where they'll follow you literally anywhere takes a lot of stuff like that.

Oh, and don't let them die. I guess that's important too.

Very true, a good pocket that goes out of his way to protect me is someone I will follow to the ends of the earth. One game, that person was a sniper, and for that brief ten minute game, that was true love right there. The kind you only find once in a lifetime. He headshooted spies and pyros walkin up on me, he bushwackah'd sentries to death, even going so far as to rocket surf up to a high ledge and caught the sentry off guard, he voice chatted to communicate with me directly, we held off the enemy hordes. It was a real match made in heaven. Then the match ended and I never saw him again :(

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9953 on: October 01, 2013, 06:39:04 pm »

That's why you add people and tag them appropriately. "Good Pocket Sniper," "Is Polite," "All the Furries," etc.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9954 on: October 01, 2013, 06:42:29 pm »

Don't use "Help!"

I should be more clear... I use 'Help!' when I'm near a medic and in their field of view, and in other cases if I'm chasing them and they're oblivious or something (and I'm that desperate for a heal), then I'll  'MEDIC!'. The idea is that using 'help' instead of 'medic' makes them aim at you, read your health, read your hats, notice your prompt 'thanks!', and then seriously consider dumping whatever bozo they were healing before.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9955 on: October 01, 2013, 06:44:10 pm »

That sounds a lot harder and more prone to failure than a simple "Yo." over voice-com. :v

I've found voice-communication a good indicator of a person's aptitude. >_> Both whether they use it, and of the people using it, what they say/sound like.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9956 on: October 01, 2013, 06:49:29 pm »

Eh, I personally only use voice coms over external programs like vent/mumble/skype, and in that case you obviously don't need to woo the medic, if you know them already.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9957 on: October 26, 2013, 02:05:55 pm »

So I guess Valve forgot about Halloween this year?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9958 on: October 26, 2013, 02:36:31 pm »

The last post referring to Halloween on the tf2 blog on 18th September was 1000 hours to go until the Witching Hour which would put it on Monday/Tuesday, which is when I suspect the event will start.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scream Fortress 2: Sooooon! "They're still right behind you"
« Reply #9959 on: October 26, 2013, 07:24:38 pm »

Halloween is starting to be pretty much the only time of the year when I play TF2 nowadays. Still eagerly awaiting what spooky things they've got cooking for this year. My Halloween costume collection is also pretty extensive so it's always fun to dust that off. Oh yeah, a new Gibus style is also imminent.
Pages: 1 ... 662 663 [664] 665 666 ... 774