Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781145 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile

That's the great thing.  EVERY explanation has the makings of an awesome story...and in every single one, the Announcer is the cruel mistress behind the scenes, while both teams are just little puppets.

The round will begin in ten seconds!  DANCE, PUPPETS, DANCE!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

What I mean by my heavy statement: His weaknesses are instant-kill classes. Every other class that has a weakness can at least run for cover. Heavies don't have that luxury.

Say you are a demoman and you see a pyro going for you. You have a couple of seconds to react and somehow either kill the pyro using awesome demoman skills, or run away. A heavy see-HEADSHOT!

Even with my horrible aim, I could take down heavies with no problems. I'm just thinking they could use either a defensive boost or more health. Their current health advantage means an extra second of sustained fire as opposed to the normal health rates.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So let me get this straight.  You're saying that, as a sniper, if a single lone heavy walks out onto the bridge in 2fort alone, you can kill him easily?

No kidding!  Heavies need cover fire, and they need distractions when advancing!  If their buddies can pin down the snipers, suddenly they own the place...and if you're a sniper sneaking into the enemy base and you have enough time to charge up a shot and kill a heavy, well, the other team probably has bigger problems than "heavy is weak to headshots".

Not all classes are useful in all situations.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Heavies are made to soak damage in front of the more squishy members of the team. If they can be felled in one hit easily in most situations, then they cannot fulfill their purpose.

I can understand some situations are better for classes than others, but heavies are most vulnerable in positions they were made for. Sure they have a very harmful position, but they should be able to take some punishment.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile

I separate most classes by range instead of a rps scheme. Heavy is a close to mid range class. Any insta kill class is dead if the heavy turns to them in close range while firing.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Heavies are made to soak damage in front of the more squishy members of the team. If they can be felled in one hit easily in most situations, then they cannot fulfill their purpose.

I can understand some situations are better for classes than others, but heavies are most vulnerable in positions they were made for. Sure they have a very harmful position, but they should be able to take some punishment.

No, I'm sorry, I'm pretty sure you're wrong.  Heavies aren't meant to soak damage.  You can aim AROUND them.  No, heavies are meant to be a source of constant damage that is fairly hard to make go away--and that's different.  Also, "most situations"?  I think you really haven't been playing the heavy right, or you've been playing against people who use him badly.  Specifically you're using him in places that he shouldn't be...like long sniper alleys.

Heavies LOVE indoors spaces, and they love places where you have to try to run past them.  A heavy is a way of saying "You are going to take one hundred and fifty hit points of damage if you want to go through this room", or "Anyone who stays in here with me is dead".  With good medic support, they can beat down anyone who doesn't have time to organize against them...which means they're great on defense (O tends to get chased in and be in a hurry), or as part of an offensive push that can make it into the enemy buildings (oh crap!  it's a heavy!)

None of these are sniper friendly spots.  Heavies don't like sniper friendly spots.

Heavy is one of my favorite classes since all the way back in early TFC (I was usually my clans' heavy if I wasn't their conc-jumping medic); if anyone's going to whine about them being underpowered or too easy to counter it would be me.  But no.  I think they're perfect.

EDIT:  Did I really just type that?  I've been playing Team Fortress for WAY too many years.  Gah.  All the memories are welling up again.  Of all the hours I've spent in my life when I've been alone doing nothing, the most happy and satisfying of all of them were while I was a Heavy, guarding the flag, in Well.

Because every once in a while, someone would peek into the flagroom.  And soon after, they would die.  Horribly.

On public servers sometimes they would even try to ride up the elevator while I unloaded on them from above, which was hilarious...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 06:31:54 pm by Sowelu »

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The area between what is effective for snipers and what is effective for pyros is small and hazy. While I agree that a medic-heavy combo against people not organized towards them, that applies for every class.

Still, I have issues with Heavy. Except as a defensive class, in which case they do indeed rock.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile

Defensive? Hold back a crit uber on them to see what aggressive means. beats the hell of any other crits except for maybe a good demo who has the time to cover the field with crit stickies.

I'd always rather classify them by range when picking a class to play in the team, not if they are defensive or aggressive, all can do both. I play an aggressive engie for example, once I had 10 kills in a life without a single sentry up. For each part of each maps, some areas are better for short ranged people, some areas are better for mid range, and some for long range. So I try to balance the team by picking what's the best option to the area we're fighting in, while keeping in mind what everyone else is.

As for snipers, if you are doing the sniper game of killing the other team sniper, you're being useless, spies should be killing other snipers while you kill the enemy's medics/pyros/heavies/soldiers. As for pyros, it depends, you're better off protecting sentries or going from behind people if the map allows that. If you don't use the backburner, like me, you can protect your team by deflecting soldier's missiles as well, pretty awesome when you're charging with a payload and they are trying to missile/bomb your team.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile

Some of my friends are addicted to this FPS game, but I refused to try it out, because of it's cartoonish graphics. However I might give it a try, because as I heard you need serious teamwork in this game in order to be successful. [...however if it's true this is not a "skill game", IE. you don't need to have good aiming skills for example, and I don't like this part, but ah well, I shall see.  ;D]

Definately don't let the style of the graphics (which I actually happen to like) turn you off the game. Although it seems odd to say such a thing in the DF forums.

Yeah it might seems odd to say things like this on the DF forum, but somehow this cartoonish gfx looks extremely weird. I will try out the game anyways.  :)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile

Some of my friends are addicted to this FPS game, but I refused to try it out, because of it's cartoonish graphics. However I might give it a try, because as I heard you need serious teamwork in this game in order to be successful. [...however if it's true this is not a "skill game", IE. you don't need to have good aiming skills for example, and I don't like this part, but ah well, I shall see.  ;D]

Definately don't let the style of the graphics (which I actually happen to like) turn you off the game. Although it seems odd to say such a thing in the DF forums.

Yeah it might seems odd to say things like this on the DF forum, but somehow this cartoonish gfx looks extremely weird. I will try out the game anyways.  :)
It only seems that cartoonish in still pictures, in my opinion. When it's in motion it looks better than a lot of more realistic games out there, It's always amazing to see the weapons reflection and shading when you turn around.

Abyss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have to agree on the graphics, the cartoony look really is a boon for the game. It actually doesn't pull you out of the game, and all of the movements seem very realistic and the faces are pure gold. I believe that one of the reasons Valve went with a cartoon style is because it is a video game, and unrealistic moments WILL happen no matter how good the engine. If the graphics are uberrealistic, then when something odd happens it will draw the player out of the game. But if the graphics are presented in a somewhat silly style, then when something silly happens the player's immersion isn't damaged.

Although the characters closing their mouths after yelling when dead can be disturbing...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

the faces are pure gold.

The Heavy changes his expression based on things like his damage intake and how many hundred bullets he's fired recently.  He gets so HAPPY when he wipes out several enemies, and as a medic keeping him healed, it's a true joy to watch.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile

Yeah, snipers get a sarcastic smirk once they do a few headshots too. It's fun.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

the faces are pure gold.

The Heavy changes his expression based on things like his damage intake and how many hundred bullets he's fired recently.  He gets so HAPPY when he wipes out several enemies, and as a medic keeping him healed, it's a true joy to watch.
And it's a joy to hear his singing and laughing in similar conditions. The voices are pure gold too.

Though currently I can mostly enjoy just the voices as my crappy computer forces me to crank down on graphics and so the facial expressions (isn't there an option to get even fancier expressions on their faces somewhere?). I really look forward to playing TF2 with the new computer I'm getting in a few months.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 03:09:47 pm by LASD »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 774