Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 777787 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I MAY actually be able to run a TF2 server. Not sure if my specs are good enough, and it wouldn't have 100% uptime, but it could work.
Hmmmm. That means I should have to get around to it, though :V

Well I'll join if you do put it up.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile

I've faced a few master snipers and IME they're as annoying to face as the level lets them be.  Facing them as attack on the final map of Dustbowl?  Leave and play something else.  If you're on something more sane its entirely possible to flank and kill them as long as you know where the long lines of fire you need to avoid are.  Remember, if they're zoomed in they have the same pathetic FOV as every other sniper, while if they're not the most damage they can do in one shot is 150.  That might seem like a lot but remember A if you're a combat class on a good team you should be overhealed and B even if they unscope they'll still move at 1/3 speed for the time it takes to reload, so you'll get your own hit in for free.  Also well designed TF2 maps have only a few places where snipers can engage at a range and not be firing down extremely narrow lines of fire; its entirely viable to rush and occupy those positions from the beginning as scout unless you're playing an attack/defense mode.

Master soldiers and scouts on the other hand there is no trick, you're just going to die 1v1 unless you're a comparable skill level.  They're also more common because those classes see more use in competitive play.
A good enough sniper can still stand against that. I've had a couple of times were some group of offense classes (generally a pyro, soldier and scout) come running towards me with the intent of flanking me. I just turn around, and headshot, headshot, headshot, and they're all gone.
By "flank" I mean approach from a direction where you enter their line of sight close enough that you are already in range to shoot them.  So approaching the enemy battlements on 2fort from their own spawn as an extreme example.  Or rocket jumping onto the first cliff in Badwater and then emerging to kill the snipers on the ridge.  In CP maps which typically have 2-3 ways to advance at all times, its often as simple as advancing down one path, then circling around and shooting them in the butt with your scattergun.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile

I just got TWO random hat drops in as many days. :o
I think the hat gods have given me a sign.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quick, craft'em together for a new, different hat!

Or not, you don't have to listen to me.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've heard if you give hats to people who have "hat" in their name, the game gives you an even better hat as a reward.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile

I might try that...
do you have the same name on steam?
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

One time I got a tyrant's helm in a random drop. My soldier always wears it now.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've heard if you give hats to people who have "hat" in their name, the game gives you an even better hat as a reward.

I might try that...

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile

I might try that...

Go here instead and get refined metal for said hats so you can get hats you might want more!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

I don't think there's a better feeling than playing demo and panning demoknights that charge at you to death.

E:
Also, there are quite some people willing to do hat4hat trades.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Love and War! "I've done nothing but teleport bread for 3 d
« Reply #10270 on: August 08, 2014, 06:29:58 pm »

Mini-Sentries with the Wrangler is a good counter to many classes. Except heavy.

I tend to consider the Gunslinger as the best item in the game. One of those items that can change a class's gameplay around entirely, yet still be a fun all-rounder. Combat engineer is great.

Drop dispenser, go running, drop mini-turret, go killing. It's the most low-key engy you can play, is a great excuse for not being any good at engy, and still gives you all the basic engy skills (but encourages fluid play).

To the questions a couple of pages back of what you should buy as your only purchase:- Buy a Gunslinger. Expanded inventory, a cool turret, a reasonable melee weapon, more HP, no random crit (which gets you better at shooting) all-in-one. Some great builds can be made from it, and you can switch your focus from aggressive to defensive play by switching the item in and out as you wish. It's also like a scout-play training platform, just totally not.

An engy buying a Gunslinger in TF2 is sort of like an engy buying an AV turret in PS2. You get a free shotgun, a reasonable basic kit anyway, and you can do pretty much whatever you please from that point onwards.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 06:46:15 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile

Mini-Sentries with the Wrangler is a good counter to many classes. Except heavy.
If you are using a Wrangler with mini-sentries you are Doing It WrongTM. Grab your pistol and just shoot them along with your sentry instead. The number one thing that makes the Gunslinger so good is that between your sturdier self with shotgun/pistol and the mini-sentry, you are more or less counting as two people. And most of the time, if an enemy focuses on one of you, he's going to get killed by the other. By using a wrangler, you've made all your damage come from a single source; An enemy will just kill you while you're trying to wrangle him, then take out the sentry while it's disabled.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gunslinger's an achievement unlock, so you really shouldn't buy it. The most value for money item is usually going to be special keys during an event, followed by regular keys any time.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, people who use mini-sentries are basically TF2 satan.

Before they came out, there was all sorts of fun shit you could do because the game required situation awareness.  Now doesn't matter how ninja you are as scout, if you don't have a soldier helping you, you aren't going to be able to get kills within the radius of the mini-sentry.  Just like, period.  No point in trying.  True of normal sentries, but getting one of those up is actually somewhat challenging.

What it really needs is to not turn beyond its 90 degree ark.  Tiny gun, tiny area denial.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile

What it really needs is to not turn beyond its 90 degree ark.  Tiny gun, tiny area denial.
I like this idea.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!
Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 774