Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 692 693 [694] 695 696 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781799 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Love and War! "I've done nothing but teleport bread for 3 days"
« Reply #10395 on: September 18, 2014, 01:05:56 am »

I like how the pistol fires nearly as fast as you can click. I find when it comes to spies, it's not so much trying to kill them but just making them jumpy and making mistakes. A spy who just got hit by a stray bullet is probably going to move in case more are coming, potentially bumping into someone.

You have no idea the shit I've pulled off as spy by ignoring people who are shooting me.  The fact that that trick works is the best thing that newb spies baby sphees have ever done for me.
Hours of spychecking as the pyro has trained my senses to detect even the subtlest of spies.

In other news, apparently I can be the top scorer on valve servers as a sniper.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Love and War! "I've done nothing but teleport bread for 3 d
« Reply #10396 on: September 18, 2014, 07:45:49 am »

I know what you mean. Sometimes you just look at a guy and think, "He's obviously a spy. He can't possibly be friendly." And then you pump him full of lead until he either dies or turns out to be obviously friendly. Or stop and start blasting the scenery with you. That's always weirdly fun when that happens.

And I can be the top-scoring sniper on a Valve server. It's not that difficult. The only other person on it has to be AFK though.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Love and War! "I've done nothing but teleport bread for 3 days"
« Reply #10397 on: September 18, 2014, 11:08:27 am »

I just hate it when teammates go around acting like obvious spies just for the lulz.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10398 on: September 18, 2014, 11:58:03 am »

I think sometimes spychecking procedures can look suspicious (turning to look at teammates, trying to get behind them).  Then again if a teammate starts firing at you you can almost always demonstrate you aren't a spy quite easily.
Hours of spychecking as the pyro has trained my senses to detect even the subtlest of spies.
Set 'em all on fire and let God sort them out.  The best cases are the ones where you accidentally catch a spy that was behind the guy you were checking.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10399 on: September 18, 2014, 04:33:58 pm »

As guy who's put a lot of hours into spy I can usually tell at a glance.

To play spy against skilled players, they need to be distracted.  If they have time to think "hey, is that person a spy?", then you're going to get found out.  Part of that is working quickly, but ideally you want to backstab people who are already engaging someone else, which is why heavies are such a great target.  Disguises are a terrible defense for a number of reasons; so you need to either be so convincing it never even occurs to them to think about it, or be in enemy LOS for only very short intervals.  Ideally both.

Also, there's a recent Jerma video where his sentry is getting sapped and there's a pyro standing next to it not spychecking or anything.  Guess who wasn't a spy :P
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10400 on: September 18, 2014, 04:51:09 pm »

You don't really need to use your disguise much unless you're in a map like 2fort where there's no ammo; just keep moving, grab ammo. If there's no ammo on the map, use the C&D and only cloak when in frequented areas. 2fort is hard for spies.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10401 on: September 18, 2014, 04:56:56 pm »

Yeah, there reaches a point where you can tell someone's a spy on sight, with there being essentially nothing they can do to avoid you knowing (aside from never being seen). I've actually been banned a couple times on servers, from killing disguised or cloaked spies (usually as sniper, when they think they're safe with just a disguise, especially from across the map).

That said, most people are oblivious, so I wouldn't say disguising is useless in the average server. There'll always be people who will know instantly, or just spycheck everyone regardless, but a little creativity and forethought can make disguises convincing for most players (at least the first time). Whenever I've played spy lately I just disguise as someone on my own team, so enemies don't try to dodge ambassador shots. It really throws people off when that enemy medic with his saw out headshots you. And so long as you keep changing disguises, it's way harder to predict than disguising as someone on their team.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10402 on: September 18, 2014, 05:08:00 pm »

Disguising as your own team works pretty well with the Dead Ringer too, almost no-one suspects it.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10403 on: September 18, 2014, 06:05:38 pm »

Its also worth it to get good with the revolver.  Its not your main weapon but its still a very necessary part of the class.

If you think about it in terms of "where can I start a fight from where only one enemy can see me and he doesn't expect anything" suddenly your angles of attack increase greatly.  The revolver is ideal against classes which are low health and typical or worse move speed, so especially engineers, snipers, and (most deliciously of all) pyros.  Fighting a pyro from directly outside their FT range, with room to backtrack, you'll kill them in 3 hits IIRC while they'll be stuck fighting with their secondaries, generally inferior to the revolver for a quick fight.

Even better though, if you have one of the two autocritting revolvers you can set up ranged assassinations where you kill in two hits regardless of range.  The ambassador is beyond my abilities but with the diamondback I'll often pretend to be a cowardly pubby sniper and then shoot people as they move past me.  Or you can attack from weird side areas and pick off the enemies in the rear, often snipers.

Also while we're on this topic... am I the only one who disguises as sniper 80% of the time?  It shouldn't work but it always does.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10404 on: September 18, 2014, 06:53:16 pm »

Disguising as spy used to work fairly well, but last time I played, people seemed to hit me more than they used to. So maybe next time I play, I'll try sniper :3
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10405 on: September 18, 2014, 07:32:46 pm »

Them Alien Isolation promo items. These hats are getting silly. That scout outfit is super silly.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10406 on: September 18, 2014, 07:36:53 pm »

Scout disguise is best disguise, at least when you have the invis watch. You're so small!

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10407 on: September 18, 2014, 07:55:29 pm »

Since I use the Your Eternal Reward, I can't disguise as easily. However, in my experience, snipers tend to get left alone and spies are seen as very suspicious (same goes for anyone in an unusual place, especially if they are behind people).
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10408 on: September 18, 2014, 08:21:08 pm »

You can modify your config files to add a zooming function to your Ambassador.  This can then be pretty horrible if you can get to your opponent's sniper spots and start gunning their guys down from miles away (this seems to happen quite a bit on the last point in Upward).

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10409 on: September 18, 2014, 10:23:27 pm »

Three step process to kicking ass on pubbie servers if you're somehow the only spy on your team.

1. Disguise as sniper (or disguise as spy until you cross over to enemy lines, then switch while cloaked)
2. Cloak behind the enemies, using ammo to feed your watch.  Uncloak in a cranny somewhere.
3. Walk in a straight line towards the nearest person and stab them in the back.

Optional:

4. Play on the same server for two hours and watch as no one catches on ever.

If you're playing people who actually know what they're doing, mix in engi and demo.  In theory soldier should be exactly the same as demo but for some reason soldier disguises will got you shot more.  Pyro works suprisingly well but it also puts you at a lot of risk for meeting the person you're disguised as.
Pages: 1 ... 692 693 [694] 695 696 ... 774