Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 777737 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: "Surprise" Update OUT!
« Reply #570 on: May 29, 2009, 04:47:44 pm »

Looks like the system rolls to decide whether to give you stuff every 25 minutes.  It follows a certain distribution pattern--people get stuff more often 50 minutes after their last find, than they do 25 minutes after.  Finding stuff farther out than 50 minutes is rare.  It's not a simple "oh, 40% chance, so most people find it by the second roll"...the second roll really DOES have a higher independent chance than the first roll.

There is some speculation that the rolls are based on time spent online recently.  IE, if you've played ALL DAY, your rolls get skewed a bit.

In any case, the 25-minute thing is an absolutely verified thing (lots of timestamps of it happening, right down to the second).  And it's based on personal time playing--if you play for 20 minutes, then leave for a few hours and come back to another server, your next roll is in 5 minutes.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 29, 2009, 05:20:50 pm »

I played for an hour or so the other day.  Didn't get a single thing, though a few other folks did.  Then my computer overheated.

You should get that checked out.

I mean, yo shod get tat checkd out dog.

How?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 29, 2009, 05:22:08 pm »

If your computer gets to a heat where it is unplayable there is something wrong.

EDIT:  Oh, you mean how?  I guess you can diagoose it.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 29, 2009, 06:57:09 pm »

I think a lot of people will be happy about this.  ;D

Added Sniper/Spy milestone achievements as an additional way players can get the new unlockables
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: May 29, 2009, 06:58:29 pm »

YES!!!!!!!!!!!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: May 29, 2009, 07:00:48 pm »

I think a lot of people will be happy about this.  ;D

Added Sniper/Spy milestone achievements as an additional way players can get the new unlockables
I'm sooo HAPPIIIIIII!!! 

I've played for 20 hours recently and didn't get a god damned thing during that time, not even duplicates.  Now since I play spy quite often I should already have all the spy items I wanted thanks to the ridiculously easy spy achievements.

EDIT: Oh that's just awesome...I need to get 1 more achievement to get my earned unlocks...None of what I have left are easy.  And when I finally DO accomplish it I don't get the achievement because of a cannot connect to steam error.  Marvelous.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 08:15:24 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #576 on: May 30, 2009, 03:31:09 am »

Unlucky, mate.

Unlucky.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 30, 2009, 01:29:47 pm »

I'm actually pretty good as a spy now with the Cloak and Dagger and Ambassador. I was on a team last night with a guy who was able to make great use out of the Dead Ringer in Capture the Flag. Spy is probably my favorite class now.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: May 30, 2009, 02:24:36 pm »

Yeah, I use the dead ringer whenever I do spy now. But to be honest, it depends on the map, sometimes the C&D is more effective, but the dead ringer has tricks to it.

I for example, normally disguise myself as one of my team, one that's already hurt, then open the ringer and rush in with the team. So they will see just another regular enemy (Note your team mates see you as the class you're disguising as well, if you have it toggled on, they will see another friendly pyro instead of a spy, for example) and will 'kill' the disguised me. Note, the enemy team will think they killed an enemy whateverclass and if you are random with it, they will never know who's the dead ringer spy. So while I'm cloaked, I disguise as one of their team (no smoke with dead ringer as it has no fading off animation your cloak starts full on) while moving behind them... Then the usual spy fun begins. A complex but pretty fun and rewarding way of doing what spies do.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: May 30, 2009, 04:54:09 pm »

Now that I finally got the stuff  I'm playing around with them.

I see quite alot of utility in the cloak & dagger.  Since I commonly play pyro as well I know many of the common spycloak recharge spots.  Where spies liked to hide out at while their cloak recharged. As you could very rarely get all the way behind enemy lines in one cloak.  There was always that short time where you were hiding in a corner waiting for a recharge.  If anybody saw a friendly standing there it set off spy alarms all over the place.

Now with the cloak and dagger you can hide very easily. Any corner or wall will work, as you don't have to worry about being visible while you wait for a recharge anymore.  Heck, in some wide open spots I don't even find a corner.  I just stand in the middle of the room to recharge.  Just dodge any fire you see coming and try not to be directly between an ally and an enemy.

For the dead ringer...I see it's uses but I'm not all that impressed.  What you mentioned before as using it to get behind enemy lines is the primary use I can see to it.  But it does carry some risk to it.  If a pyro burns you there's a good chance you'll still end up on fire when it cloaks you, and from what I saw a couple days ago if you get backstabbed by an enemy spy, instead of yer decoy falling to a backstab animation they explode like hit by a rocket.  That's a big tipoff if the other spy knows what's what. (At the time I thought it was odd that the pyro exploded, but I didn't put 2 and 2 together right away and regretted it.)

Ambassador seems to just be a different revolver.  Better for one shot at a time things instead of trying to fill the air with bullets.  Excellent on oblivious razorback snipers.

I managed to get all 3 milestones for sniper as well.  I love the huntsman.  I'm a horrible shot at long range.  But I can twitch shot at medium and short range pretty well.  So the huntsman fits me well.  Even if you are in a long range fight the dropoff is barely noticeable full charge, and is easy to compensate for on weaker shots.

I dislike the razorback.  Mostly just from experience as a spy. Its way too easy to just ignore completely and still get off a kill.  So the speed reduction seems to steep for me.

Jarate I like, but I haven't determined if I like it enough to get rid of my SMG.  The mini crits are helpful, as is the ability to put out fires on myself and teammates, but it means I have to rely on my khukri at short range. As the bow is just too slow for a prolonged fight at that range.  Miss the first shot and yer screwed without a backup weapon.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 04:56:35 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 30, 2009, 07:55:43 pm »

Hell, I cannot get how people are capable of sniping at close to medium ranges. I can only manage at long ranges where twitching to a specific pixel is not necessary.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 30, 2009, 09:26:18 pm »

Don't need to twitch to a specific pixel at short and medium range, top 10% of a target pretty much means a headshot in my experience.  When they're closer to the enemy than the 2fort sniper decks close to perfect pixel accuracy is usually close enough to count.

I also seem to get more headshots at long range with the huntsman than the rifle overall oddly.  I think that dropoff can actually be an advantage sometimes.  Dropping the arrow onto the target's head instead of having to hit it straight on might actually increase yer headshot chances, though it could just be my imagination..

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 30, 2009, 11:05:12 pm »

You know how the default bow aim is a ( . )?  You put the target inside that area if he's still. You predict ahead if he's not. Nothing so hard about it.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 31, 2009, 02:14:19 am »

You know how the default bow aim is a ( . )?  You put the target inside that area if he's still. You predict ahead if he's not. Nothing so hard about it.

Yeah... You know... Except for the whole part where you have to calculate exact physics with no depth perception... Quite hard.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 31, 2009, 04:22:24 am »

Yeah... You know... Except for the whole part where you have to calculate exact physics with no depth perception... Quite hard.

The Huntsman does have a bit of a learning curve! But I guess once you use something enough you'll just get a feel for it; now I certainly haven't learned to use this thing yet myself, but I can see it being really handy in the inventory of a skilled 'hunter'. I'm sure they'll put out a few updates for it as well.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 774