Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 711 712 [713] 714 715 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 777743 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 war-themed hat simulator!
« Reply #10680 on: November 22, 2014, 04:42:08 pm »

Do not fall into temptation, brother! Use the demoman as it was intended by God Gabe!
Why did you cross out God and then replace it with God?

Also, I'm fine with any demo tactic as long as it's not using the sticky launcher like a backup grenade launcher. That said, that's totally what I do when I run out of pills and running isn't an option.
(using stickies for airshots and shooting over low cover is acceptable, though. Seriously, have you ever tried airshotting with the grenade launcher? Sometimes an enemy just goes straight up because of a miscalculated jump and you can't waste a chance like that. )

BTW, I should get a strange grenade launcher.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10681 on: November 23, 2014, 11:23:11 am »

I believe you mean "using the grenade launcher like a backup sticky launcher".

Edit: you didn't see anything *waves both arms while backing away* :/
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 12:31:59 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10682 on: November 23, 2014, 12:30:31 pm »

The sticky is the Demoman's actual primary weapon.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #10683 on: November 23, 2014, 12:34:48 pm »

Do people actually use the sticky launcher as an ambush weapon? Or is just the 'shoot explosives into people's face' type weapon?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10684 on: November 23, 2014, 12:38:36 pm »

You can use it to set up traps, and then it's also a faster firing rocket launcher with higher damage, double ammo capacity and better effectiveness at long range when you need it to be.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10685 on: November 23, 2014, 12:40:53 pm »

Do people actually use the sticky launcher as an ambush weapon? Or is just the 'shoot explosives into people's face' type weapon?
Scottish Resistance master race.

Yeah, I use the scottish resistance for ambushes/territory defense. The ability to detonate selected stickies makes lots of tactics viable, like making a spread out minefield of stickies. Then when people walk over it you can detonate one sticky, send them flying, then detonate other stickies as they fall and juggle them to death. That's always fun.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10686 on: November 23, 2014, 12:54:53 pm »

You can use it to set up traps, and then it's also a faster firing rocket launcher with higher damage, double ammo capacity and better effectiveness at long range when you need it to be.

I'd like to point out that while this is true, the rocket doesn't have an arming time, and it has less capacity for self damage.  So it can be used more effectively at close range, where almost all of TF2's weapons are at their best.  Sadly the arming time still isn't THAT long but if you get up in their face as scout or soldier you can get an easy kill.

At very high levels of play you have people direct hitting you with stickies at pretty much any range and then it gets downright annoying.  There are reasons that the only class besides medic consistently restricted to one per team in competitive play is demoman.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10687 on: November 23, 2014, 01:30:24 pm »

Yeah, the sticky launcher is pretty OP imo. At least sollies can't detonate their rockets when you dodge them.

It's very useful in a variety of situations, though, even in ones where a nerf probably wouldnt harm it much.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10688 on: November 23, 2014, 01:38:12 pm »

Scottish Resistance master race.

Yeah, I use the scottish resistance for ambushes/territory defense. The ability to detonate selected stickies makes lots of tactics viable, like making a spread out minefield of stickies. Then when people walk over it you can detonate one sticky, send them flying, then detonate other stickies as they fall and juggle them to death. That's always fun.

The Scottish Resistance has some real advantages, I have trouble using it aggressively.  The extended arming time, and the fact that you have to be looking at the bombs before they detonate makes hit-and-run more difficult.  Also, they do not air-burst as easily.

I love demo-man, especially for his indirect fire ability.  One of my favourite tactics is to be able to lay down a minefield over a wide area, for example, near a cart, and blow it as soon as I see the cart moving.

I use Scottish Resistance to set up ambushes, when defending a CTF, or to blow away any sticky bombs when attacking Payload.

The long reload time is probable the biggest disadvantage.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10689 on: November 23, 2014, 02:17:25 pm »

Ah, an extra benefit to the Scot-Res I forgot is that the detonation of selected stickies lets you use burst damage. Like, if you're fighting in an area you've trapped and using your grenade launcher on enemies and they happen to walk near stickies and aren't dead from your grenades, you can explode the stickies without needing to switch, and still have backup traps for other enemies. The Loose Cannon's knockback is useful for forcing enemies into your sticky traps.

Or if you've trapped a control point or cart and enemies are gathered around it, you can shoot a few pipe bombs, and as the pipes explode you can detonate the stickies at the same time (you're aiming at them anyway with the nade launcher) and get a big explosion all at once and still have stickies in other areas if needed.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10690 on: November 23, 2014, 02:49:43 pm »

I don't like the alternative grenade launchers. They both lack a vital part of the grenade launcher, the ability to bounce off things. I can bounce some pills through a door where I know an enemy is waiting, and even if it doesnt hit him it forces him to move because they stay on the ground and still do some damage.

The sticky launcher is a weapon I use far less, mainly when I need to buy myself some time to reload (but at that point I'm usually running away already.)

That said, pick your fights is vital for every class I play, except for medic. The best thing to do when you can't win is run away.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10691 on: November 25, 2014, 10:35:45 am »

I don't like the alternative grenade launchers. They both lack a vital part of the grenade launcher, the ability to bounce off things. I can bounce some pills through a door where I know an enemy is waiting, and even if it doesnt hit him it forces him to move because they stay on the ground and still do some damage.

The sticky launcher is a weapon I use far less, mainly when I need to buy myself some time to reload (but at that point I'm usually running away already.)

That said, pick your fights is vital for every class I play, except for medic. The best thing to do when you can't win is run away.

I agree with you there.  I prefer Demoman as artillery, so I do not like the Loch and Load's direct hit requirement.  The Loose Cannon is a bit better for me, since knock-back plus increased speed is useful, but again, it is useless for indirect fire.  Personally, I love playing Demo in Turbine.  The ability to lob grenades into the enemies' enclosed space overlooking the central room is incredibly useful.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10692 on: November 25, 2014, 09:50:08 pm »

Anyone wanna play TF2 some time this week? I'm home from college for Turkey Day break from now until Sunday morning. We could go pubbing or MvMing or something.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #10693 on: November 26, 2014, 09:50:20 pm »

I might be on.

might
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10694 on: November 26, 2014, 09:53:46 pm »

Wait, tomorrow is Turkey Day? I thought that was Friday.

Turkey day is Thursday. Friday is "trample people who get in the way of your shopping" day.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now
Pages: 1 ... 711 712 [713] 714 715 ... 774