Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 750 751 [752] 753 754 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781933 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: SCREAAAMMM FORTRESS VII! "Souls go here"
« Reply #11265 on: December 17, 2015, 03:34:31 pm »

THEY LISTENED TO B4NNY
THEY LISTENED TO B4NNY, THE ABSOLUTE MADMEN

PHLOGNISATOR GOT A BUFF

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 03:40:50 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11266 on: December 17, 2015, 03:36:35 pm »

this update's balance changes are bonkers

did they get icefrog to help with this goddamn

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #11267 on: December 17, 2015, 03:50:49 pm »

PHLOGNISATOR GOT A BUFF
A Mmmph'ing Pyro used to be practically invulnerable to everything but backstabs or sustained fire from several enemies at once. Why would it be made literally invulnerable instead?

The damage penalty was also removed from the Degreaser (amongst its nerfs), so that's probably an attempt to make the flamethrowers more similar to each other. Why would they, in a game that lives and breathes quirky weapons, try to do that?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11268 on: December 17, 2015, 04:46:13 pm »

Wow, oh, hey! Universal switch speed increase... that's actually a BIG DEAL valve, I'm honestly not sure how to feel about it.

Panic Attack is SOMEWHAT USABLE... just get rid of the awful spread and it earns it's way out of "Awful weapon hell" and joins "Meh... Whatever Purgatory"

Zatoichi is no longer super stupid! I might actually use it now as an easy, no ammo way to build uber with medics! "I'm stabbing myself for you, German Man!"

Nice guy bonuses given to pyro, scout, and sniper!

PHLOG BUFF... ha ha ha... hahahahaahHAHHAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA THE PUB NUBS ARE REALLY GONNA FEEL IT NOW HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Concherer is buffed, right when I thought we couldn't get any more ConchBox Sollies. Well, the regeneration was actually the weakest part about it, so I'm not upset.

BEGGAR'S BAZOOKA NERFED! And a really significant nerf at that! I know that decreasing a circle's diameter drastically decreases it's volume, but I'm math dumb so I don't know by how much exactly. I'm guessing it's a lot though, so I might not feel guilty from using it anymore!

CRIKEY METER! CRIKEY METER!

"Get ubercharge from hitting heal arrows"... I legit yelled 'WWWWHHHHAT?!' irl. That's an awesome buff to medic's already strongest weapon.

Three times setup speed for mediguns... "Hey you, both demos, want to set up 16 crit stickies between you and still have a charge ready for when the gates open?"

and the buff to the Vacc... I need to try it out.

Man, I feel bad for the Targe using babies. Now they're even bigger losers than before.

Sorry Engie, just nerfs for you! You were a bad boy this year.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11269 on: December 17, 2015, 04:53:46 pm »

After getting over the phlog change (I stared at it for a solid 2 minutes), everything looks pretty great. Separating holster/switch times looks like a pretty good way to fix some of these items. I mean, I would've just removed the degreaser's ability to airblast players entirely, but this looks practically tolerable. Really happy with the demoknight changes as well, this deals with most of the stupid excesses pretty well.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11270 on: December 17, 2015, 05:12:45 pm »

I mean, I would've just removed the degreaser entirely, but this looks practically tolerable.
FTFY
completely losing airblast would just have made it entirely useless. degreaser was (and will probably still be) used because it was better at everything than stock. that hasn't changed much. afterburn is irrelevant.

pyro is a shittily designed and broken class. unfun to play against and ultimately pretty useless
dumb changes to numbers aren't going to fix anything

Really, these pyro changes aren't accomplishing anything. Nerfing degreaser is a shitty way to make stock viable.
It looks like they just listened to b4nnys rant and ignored all feedback by people who actually play against or as pyros on a regular basis (e.g. reputable pyro mains, hl soldiers/demomen)
Even then,  b4nny suggested giving the pyro weapons niches, to make the degreaser the combo weapon and stock the reflect weapon. Which is still pretty dumb and would just result in stock being the only viable option in comp, unless pyro got some HUGE buffs to make it a viable flank class. To give some context, pyro would be competing with soldier and scout, the two most powerful DM classes in TF2. So that is also probably never going to happen.

The healing for extinguishing is just weird. I guess it's nice that I'll be able to farm heals off a teammate being burned by an enemy pyro, like I currently do for points :V

Phlog buffs are ridiculous. Phlog was already downright unfun to play against and just gives pyro a bad reputation while teaching new pyros bad habits  ("don't pick your fights, just use this weapon for a free kritzkrieg and a full heal! Who cares about that silly airblast, you never use it anyway!")
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 05:39:54 pm by miauw62 »

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11271 on: December 17, 2015, 06:05:16 pm »

HAPPENING. DOWNLOAD

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11272 on: December 17, 2015, 06:15:51 pm »

I mean, I would've just removed pyro entirely, but this looks practically tolerable.
FTFY

Now we're getting somewhere.

Hard to tell without playing it yet, but the switch-from speed increase getting halved, together with the ability to move after getting airblasted, makes it less of a "rightclickaimupsecondaryweaponleftclick and you're dead" sort of deal, which is all I'm really looking for. But with base weapon switch speeds times decreased, I'm thinking it may end up not being very noticeable.

That is the big problem with pyro though, that ultimately it's always a worse version of either scout or soldier. Can't buff it without making it stupid (unless the flamethrower gets reworked completely), can't nerf it because it's already bad. So I guess you keep increasing flamethrower base damage and buff the phlog, so people can at least... nope, still not getting that.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11273 on: December 17, 2015, 06:26:28 pm »

I mean, I would've just removed pyro entirely, but this looks practically tolerable.
FTFY

Now we're getting somewhere.

Hard to tell without playing it yet, but the switch-from speed increase getting halved, together with the ability to move after getting airblasted, makes it less of a "rightclickaimupsecondaryweaponleftclick and you're dead" sort of deal, which is all I'm really looking for. But with base weapon switch speeds times decreased, I'm thinking it may end up not being very noticeable.

That is the big problem with pyro though, that ultimately it's always a worse version of either scout or soldier. Can't buff it without making it stupid (unless the flamethrower gets reworked completely), can't nerf it because it's already bad. So I guess you keep increasing flamethrower base damage and buff the phlog, so people can at least... nope, still not getting that.

Pretty much yeah.

Here are some numbers for pyro's new weapon change speeds.

Also I'm in bed so I can't participate in happening ;_;
Also I won't be able to sell my cases for 50 bucks before their price drops to .001 scrap due to escrow ;_;

E:
https://www.reddit.com/r/truetf2/comments/3x97pr/tf2_blog_the_tough_break_update_is_coming/cy2shmc
Rip engie
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 06:45:09 pm by miauw62 »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Tough break update! Merry Smissmas everyone!
« Reply #11274 on: December 20, 2015, 01:07:01 am »

Having played around a bit, things don't seem very different. The demoknight changes are noticeably better, but degreaser pyro's about as dumb as before. Still the brainless airblast -> unmissable crit/minicrit, with the slightly reduced time making very little difference. At least the cost got increased, and getting airblasted in other situations is less of a death sentence now, with more airstrafing (and christ is it nice to have at least one pyro weapon where out-of-fight afterburn isn't obnoxious).

The phlog buff is as bewildering as ever, but it's just a formalization of the previous ridiculous damage resist mechanic, so it isn't too different. I'm really surprised they didn't change it from crits to minicrits, that to me seems like an incredibly obvious change.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11275 on: December 20, 2015, 01:15:28 am »

Guys we should all pubstomp all pubs in the world with phlog for the glory of Gaben.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #11276 on: December 20, 2015, 06:42:32 am »

Just going to pluglessly shame this since it didn't get much attention; we could use some more members.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/fellowshipofthephlog

It is done.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11277 on: December 20, 2015, 07:55:15 am »

Just going to pluglessly shame this since it didn't get much attention; we could use some more members.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/fellowshipofthephlog

It is done.
Our marriage is tomorrow. Be there at 3PM, wear something nice. Also wield a phlog.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11278 on: December 20, 2015, 10:17:05 am »

Has this game been fucking ruined for anyone else?

- www.gfycat.com/VigilantArcticDuckling Phlog pyro made more obnoxious. Someone suggested it should only get phlog crits from the front, which is an okay idea.
- I like the medic changes. Rewards a medic playing well.
- I like the stock flamethrower changes, and how airblast restores health. While it's not ideal, it's a good idea as it rewards newbies who look at you burning for actually putting you out.
- Carbine is not 100% useless now. Makes for a fun stabbing time. That said, it is now terrifying to face a sniper in close quarters as you no longer know if he has bushwhacka crits until he pulls out his glowing kukri.
- Axtinguisher is worse than useless. I know it needed some way of making it able to compete with the Powerjack, but a 75% draw speed reduction AND a 33% damage penalty? yikes.
- Claidheamh Mor is now just a shitty Half-Zat. No point to it.
- Persian Persuader is now essentially a straight downgrade.
- Tide Turner is useless. You exchange MASSIVE amounts of damage for mobility - you can hit max 88 / 107 now, instead of 195/ 222 or whatever skullcutter crit is.

- WHY DID THEY NERF ENGI SO HARD. Now even the attentions of a half-awake spy is enough to seriously endanger an engi nest. I like playing Spy, and I like playing Engi, but all this change will encourage is engis to run minis more, even after they were nerfed. No point investing so much time in a L3 sentry when you can just get a mini up in much less time and much less time lost if it dies. Not to mention the 0.5s downtime after sapper removal. Rescue Ranger is now poor. 75 hp @ 4 bolts was what, 300hp healed? Given buildings go down in three hits to direct grenades or rockets, (216 hp), the lower clip size means you're going to have to go in for more risky repairs or teleport it away.
Now that it's 60hp @ 4 bolts, you're only going to have 240 hp repair, and a lengthy reload.

I can understand the engi nerfs as he slows the game down with the sentry gun, but it's just not fun to play anymore.

And my single biggest issue:

Glitches and framerate problems. The fuck is wrong with this game? I'm still getting invisible players and similar issues, not to mention nearly unplayable fps on an eight year old game, that I might add is running on a GTX 960 and an i5-4690k @ 3.5ghz. 15-25fps in barnblitz is pathetic. I can't in good faith pay for this update, where it's done just as much damage to my framerate as Gun Mettle did.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #11279 on: December 20, 2015, 01:18:44 pm »

And my single biggest issue:

Glitches and framerate problems. The fuck is wrong with this game? I'm still getting invisible players and similar issues, not to mention nearly unplayable fps on an eight year old game, that I might add is running on a GTX 960 and an i5-4690k @ 3.5ghz. 15-25fps in barnblitz is pathetic. I can't in good faith pay for this update, where it's done just as much damage to my framerate as Gun Mettle did.
I haven't played this game in months because of this right here. Performance-wise it seems to be constantly getting shittier and shittier. I mean, I guess that's to be expected from constant additions of new content, meaning more code and processing and stuff that may or may not be streamlined.

Is sv_pure still completely enforced on every server? That's another thing I'd complain about, skins were fun but because of a few tryhards Volvo went and blocked everything everywhere and don't seem interested in a more elegant solution than "no more skins ever".
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 750 751 [752] 753 754 ... 774