Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 764 765 [766] 767 768 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781999 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Meat Vs. Match update! "Look, this isn't a banana simulator"
« Reply #11475 on: August 17, 2016, 05:46:45 pm »

quickplay is still gone
With these promised changes, the only remaining quickplay features missing from casual are autobalance and the ability to spectate or switch teams. Unless you miss those features that much, quickplay is gone in name only.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Meat Vs. Match update! "Look, this isn't a banana simulator"
« Reply #11476 on: August 17, 2016, 06:21:50 pm »

Not really, since you can't play TF2 the way you used to when Quickplay was around. And don't give me that community servers bullshit,  pony mods, ads and other terrible crap is not the TF2 experience.
Oh sure, you have *casual* except it's nothing like TF2, it's just training wheels for competitive tryharding.

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11477 on: August 17, 2016, 06:32:33 pm »

Sure, community servers are still crap, but casual has calmed down by now, people have stopped being excited about seeing their XP number going up, and tryharding has gone way down. It's just like pubs again. You might want to check it out again.

Oh, and if you feel more salty about losing in casual than in pubs, then you may realize that you yourself are too invested in your shiny new XP value. If that is the case, try playing a couple games dicking around on purpose. It'll help you distance yourself from your XP.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11478 on: August 17, 2016, 08:55:01 pm »

What element of casual forces you to "tryhard"? There is more incentive to actually play the game since you get to be on one team for an entire match (something that basically never happened in Valve pubs) but it's not like you're punished for messing around.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #11479 on: August 17, 2016, 11:48:11 pm »

I'm pissed that I spend 5 minutes in matchmaking, trying to get to a server and it won't make a single match.
I'm pissed that if I take longer than most to load I'm holding the entire back.
I like the way it used to be, pop in and out. Don't like this particular map ? No problem, here's this other Valve server with said map. And so on.
Edit: Leafsnail, player reports are now a thing, prepare to be reported for breathing wrong.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 11:53:12 pm by Xeron »

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11480 on: August 18, 2016, 12:34:54 am »

I'm pissed that I spend 5 minutes in matchmaking, trying to get to a server and it won't make a single match.
I'm pissed that if I take longer than most to load I'm holding the entire back.
I like the way it used to be, pop in and out. Don't like this particular map ? No problem, here's this other Valve server with said map. And so on.
Edit: Leafsnail, player reports are now a thing, prepare to be reported for breathing wrong.

Player reports have always been a thing.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #11481 on: August 18, 2016, 05:34:07 am »

I find the time that looking for a match, take about as much for me to initialize the server listing.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11482 on: August 18, 2016, 07:22:14 am »

There are votekicks but they've always been there and it's pretty difficult to actually kick anyone because nobody gives a shit about the votes. If you've been sitting in spawn for the entire game you have maybe a 40% chance of being kicked.

Really I think the new system leads to a better gameplay experience than the old one even with the obvious mistakes in its implementation. The removal of autobalance and the fact that good players can't all stack onto one team like they always used to is enough to do that.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11483 on: August 18, 2016, 08:03:31 am »

It's still worse than quickplay. There's still no actual balancing.

None of this would have been a problem if Valve's head hadn't been so far up their ass that they couldn't just add XP to valve servers.

Also, casual ENCOURAGES teamstacking. Party up with a bunch of people and never, ever get balanced to the other team. They should have fixed autobalance. All of the features currently in casual should have been in a month ago, when MyM was released, and yet it's still terrible.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 08:07:37 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11484 on: August 18, 2016, 09:03:27 am »

There's no balancing other than it keeping the same number of people on each side. That's still a huge improvement over quickplay where there was an active anti-balancing mechanism of all the experienced players switching sides as soon as one team got the upper hand.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11485 on: August 18, 2016, 09:21:06 am »

That really didn't happen that much. And it's not like the problem is solved. The moment a team starts losing, all the experienced players leave, so the team starts losing harder. Anybody who is subbed in notices that they're fighting 12v7 and also just leaves instead of getting steamrolled.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11486 on: August 18, 2016, 09:34:43 am »

That hasn't been my experience at all. People get subbed onto a team with missing players pretty fast, and I've actually seen games get turned around a few times because the new players were better than the old ones.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11487 on: August 18, 2016, 10:04:38 am »

well yeah, and all the good players instantly switching wasn't my experience on quickplay. and even though it sometimes happened, systems could have very well been put into place to make it harder.

and anyway, teamstackers won't get separated from eachother in the first place in casual mode, because they're in a party.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11488 on: August 18, 2016, 02:33:10 pm »

well yeah, and all the good players instantly switching wasn't my experience on quickplay. and even though it sometimes happened, systems could have very well been put into place to make it harder.

and anyway, teamstackers won't get separated from eachother in the first place in casual mode, because they're in a party.

Teamstacker seems like a poor word choice there, it seems you're just talking about people being in a party. I'd define stacking teams as what happens when a good player speculates on which team is going to win and switches to it, which is impossible in casual (from what people have said here anyway, I haven't tried it). Also, autobalance breaking up actively stacked teams never happened, because a person could join spectator and wait a couple minutes to switch to the winning team again.

One thing that I think would bother me about casual (though I'll probably never try it while the server browser exists, I never trusted quickplay either) would be not being able to switch onto the losing team. Those are the fun matches, when you get to actually turn things around, and as much as people complained about getting autobalanced, I think I almost always ended up glad when it happened to me. Seeing your teammates winning with their minisentries and heavies and plastic-tier puff pyros, so cock sure, and not being able to shit in their milkshake, that would drive me crazy.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11489 on: August 21, 2016, 08:46:25 pm »

Had a hacker switch their name to mine today. Luckily I was able to explain that via chat and call a vote against them, but it could have easily led to me being kicked.

Really the votekick menu should just have the player's class and score on it so they know to kick the 120 point sniper rather than the 25 point soldier

e: also the actual vote menu that comes up should have it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 08:49:21 pm by Leafsnail »
Pages: 1 ... 764 765 [766] 767 768 ... 774