Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781820 times)

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Classless update is here!
« Reply #975 on: September 03, 2009, 01:38:58 am »

Well to think of one off the top of my head, I used to be on a forum waay back that offered one which recorded your stats and uploaded it to their server.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 02:32:49 am by thatguyyaknow »
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: September 03, 2009, 02:19:13 am »

I guess I lost my Scotman's Stove Pipe. Oh, well. At least it made me get my new kill record (20 kills) just as I got it with some placebo magic or something.

The thing that really bugs me about this though is that the people that idled on achievement_idle servers won't be getting punished at all. As the difference is just using more resources (which is apparently the moral high road). Also, I feel really sorry for Drunken_Fool.

I think it would've been fair to give a warning before doing this kind of thing as they indeed didn't have any policy. Or, not really, I just understood they couldn't let the "ill-gotten" hats remain in the game.

And the last complaint, they just made hats ridiculously common, giving 95.5% of players hats. And the halos are apparently causing all kinds of problems in game. Like people getting kicked or not healed.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 04:24:17 am by LASD »

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: September 03, 2009, 02:33:44 am »

EDIT:
Well lets be fair the halo sucks, it makes you look ridiculously ugly and reveals that an awful lot of characters are bald under their hats. I honestly wouldn't wear it if I had it.

EDIT2: My new favourited server is called "Taking the high low road" after that name how could I not idle on it. And now I know that what I'm doing is 100% valve approved, and about 1% different. that percent being the fact that the little icon on my taskbar is now the TF2 cross/circle as opposed to a steam icon with a hat on it.

EDIT3: I'm getting a lot of my info from 7chan but apparently the item loss is affecting 15-20% of active players, that's got to be painful for valve that their system is so screwed that 15-20% of players would end up using this program.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 03:21:33 am by thatguyyaknow »
My HoM.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: September 03, 2009, 05:39:22 am »

Well then, this was an expected outcome, other than the Halos, have there been any other changes?

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: September 03, 2009, 05:55:08 am »

They tripled the drop rate for hats, though it is still painfully low. It just means all us idlers who switched to server idling will recuperate our losses slightly faster and no idlers will still have to get very lucky.
My HoM.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: September 03, 2009, 05:56:38 am »

They tripled the drop rate for hats, though it is still painfully low. It just means all us idlers who switched to server idling will recuperate our losses slightly faster and no idlers will still have to get very lucky.

silly Idler.

Don't idle, there's no point.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: September 03, 2009, 05:57:34 am »

Why? My computer is good enough to run TF2 in the background without it killing any other processes so there is no real loss and the potential of extra hats.

Also worth noting a lot of people on the forums seem to be under the impression idlers idle instead of playing. That's just plain stupid I play when I want to play and idle when I don't.
My HoM.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: September 03, 2009, 06:00:31 am »

Blarg, I have the Scout's first baseball helmet right now.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: September 03, 2009, 11:13:36 am »

Kind of peeved. I JUST got a hat yesterday. I hadn't even gotten a chance to play with it and they've already deleted it. Oh well. I'm more pissed about losing my Sandman, really, but I'll get it back.

Also, Drunken_f00l (The guy who made the idler) said multiple times that if Valve had asked, he would of taken the idler down in a heartbeat. So why did Valve do this shit retroactively after 6 months? Then, to top it all off, Drunken_f00l also has a community weapon. I shit you not, Valve decided to commemorate what he's done by giving him a special Kritzkrieg. They still took all six of his hats, though.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: September 03, 2009, 11:21:01 am »

Maybe the hype needs some drama added...

Say, anybody else getting bugged performance report screens during roundchange?

Maybe I shouldnt have used the "Achievement unlocker" tool to lock all my achievements again.... I wanted to get that "carrot on a stick" feeling back, I kid you not. I even asked valve to clear my achievements. They said they couldnt so I did it myself. So either that killed my performance report screen (I even reset it) or it's just coincidence.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: September 03, 2009, 12:31:01 pm »

Maybe I shouldnt have used the "Achievement unlocker" tool to lock all my achievements again.... I wanted to get that "carrot on a stick" feeling back, I kid you not. I even asked valve to clear my achievements. They said they couldnt so I did it myself.
Using the achievement unlocker is a bannable offense now/valve could take away all your items. Same with using the idler program again. Weapons that were taken away due to the idler program should be reinstated within the next few days.

Also, Drunken fool made TF2items.com, which valve likes, but he made the idler program, which they don't like. So they still made an example out of him.

Really, there was a third party program to unlock achievements and unlock items, people who used it got items taken away months ago. There was a NEW third party program to idle and unlock items, and people who used it ALSO got items taken away. In both cases valve said using third party programs to cheat will now get all their items away or banned.

Are you people not seeing a pattern here?  ??? Don't use bloody programs that screw with TF2.

EDIT: fixed items for weapons
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 12:39:41 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: September 03, 2009, 01:30:21 pm »

Using the achievement unlocker is a bannable offense now/valve could take away all your items.
See, that was the whole purpose of that exercise from the start, so valve should really be my guest.

I deleted all my items myself, and then relocked my achievements, to give me that carrot on a stick feeling again... So how exactly can they punish me? That's right, by unlocking all my items again :D

Seriously.

So back to my question. Anybody gettin bugged performance report screens?

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: September 03, 2009, 01:44:20 pm »

The first time, they only took them away for a week.

It's not the items, it's the retroactiveness for something they had said was ok.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: September 03, 2009, 02:18:21 pm »

A friend said this:

Quote from: Laserhead
Hey guys,

I was walking around the house with a lollipop today and suddenly, out of nowhere, Dad sees me and says, "Hey! No lollipops allowed in this house!" I was not aware that I could not eat lollipops because for 3 months, Dad had been aware that me and all of my friends (almost 11,000 of them) had been eating lollipops right in front of him and he had said nothing.

Right after giving me a warning, Dad proceeded to rifle through all my stuff and take all my lollipops. While he was at it, he took away some other candy too, even though he'd said he was fine with that. In fact, it wasn't even after the warning; he looted me AS he was saying it, before I had time to react and put the candy away.

Then he told all my friends that I was a worthless fatty and gave them special "NOT A FATTY" badges, even if they were, in fact, fat from non-lollipop candies.

Don't you hate Dads?

No one really cares about the lost items. It's the fact that their "cleansing" was imprecise, came months and months after they'd been aware of the problem, only targeted the third-party idlers, and came bundled with an official "YOU'RE BETTER THAN OTHER PEOPLE GO LAUGH AT THEM AND CALL THEM CHEATING FAGGOTS" T-shirt. 

I'm well aware that valve has every right to do whatever they want within their games. If they wanted, they could, today, declare rocket-jumping a bannable offense and ban everyone who had ever done it. 

There is a difference between "have power to" and "can do without being a dick."

I wouldn't have minded losing that pile of ubersaws I've accumulated. Losing my legit flare gun makes me a little sad.

The worst part by far is the huge storms of trolls that've appeared to say "CRRRRY SOME MORE WORTHLESS CHEATER DEAR GOD HOW COULD IT NOT BE OBVIOUS THAT WHAT YOU WERE DOING WAS DICKING I HAVE NO PITY FOR YOU WHATSOEVER" and, of course, the fact that they have an official valve-stamped piece of evidence saying "You're right! You are better than them! Taunt them! Make them cry! Spread suffering!"

invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Konork

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: September 03, 2009, 02:46:52 pm »

Any "legit" items people lost were most likely really a duplicate from the idler after you deleted the achievement items. Also, Valve is going to give back weapons to the people who have the proper achievements
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 774