Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781176 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Classless update is here!
« Reply #990 on: September 03, 2009, 02:52:19 pm »

Hey, I just checked, I got a halol.

Thats funny, considering I used the achievement unlocker. Well, I used it to LOCK my achievements, but still, technically, I've been cheating  :D

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: September 03, 2009, 03:02:04 pm »

No valve are apparently fine with the achievement unlocker, because you know that can only help you get items that are useful in the game. Not like the idler where people actually got hats!
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: September 03, 2009, 03:05:09 pm »

I've been idling around, too. Not using software tho.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: September 03, 2009, 03:56:38 pm »

I'm planning to get the game when I get a new laptop.  Will I have a halo or will I be classed as scum?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: September 03, 2009, 03:57:43 pm »

I'm planning to get the game when I get a new laptop.  Will I have a halo or will I be classed as scum?

I'm not sure, you haven't done anything vile though so you should get one.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: September 03, 2009, 03:58:09 pm »

Hmm, i believe you may get a halo.

Oh, and apparantly the Idlers gets a badge. and also take moar damage from Haloers.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: September 03, 2009, 03:59:04 pm »

Oh, and apparantly the Idlers gets a badge. and also take moar damage from Haloers.

=-O

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: September 03, 2009, 04:05:13 pm »

I was just wondering, since the lack of a halo could incriminate me as a scum, heh.

And it seems a bit unfair to put a permanent and tangible penalty on the idler, like receiving increased damage.  I'm a bit confused now - I thought you unlocked TF2 weapons through achievements, but I've seen all sorts of things like "Rare drops" (making me think of Runescape - huh?) and items which you have to stay logged on for ages to get (making me think of SSB - wha?).  How does it work?

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: September 03, 2009, 04:08:55 pm »

I was just wondering, since the lack of a halo could incriminate me as a scum, heh.

And it seems a bit unfair to put a permanent and tangible penalty on the idler, like receiving increased damage.  I'm a bit confused now - I thought you unlocked TF2 weapons through achievements, but I've seen all sorts of things like "Rare drops" (making me think of Runescape - huh?) and items which you have to stay logged on for ages to get (making me think of SSB - wha?).  How does it work?

Items are recieved from unlocking achievements.

Sometimes though, just playing the game gets you a random item.

Every 15430 seconds, the game rolls dice to see if you get a hat.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: September 03, 2009, 04:15:01 pm »

A very large die too.  With over 100 sides on it.

Correction:  Make that less than 100 sides.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: September 03, 2009, 04:15:47 pm »

That seems, well, a bit stupid.  I suppose you could throw the people who suck (like me) an item every now and again to keep them happy, but I generally prefer to get something through skill rather than persistence or luck.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: September 03, 2009, 04:21:30 pm »

There's items unlocked by skill (achievements) and items received by sheer luck. After playing the game awhile you'll have everything. Hat's just had a ridiculously low sheer luck chance rate, so yeah.

I don't really care about hats so whatever. I personally don't see the huge problem but I find it kind of funny that Valve trolled people hard. They released all these joke websites telling you hats make you superior, and then when people use a cheating program for hats, BAM (suckerpunch, rope-a-dope, own't).

It's almost beautiful.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 04:26:35 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: September 03, 2009, 05:05:33 pm »

They released all these joke websites telling you hats make you superior, and then when people use a cheating program for hats, BAM

I'm still not sure why you insist that joining a random server and going off to watch Scrubs (leaving me to rage that I have four friends trying to join and the server has eight spectators) is perfectly legit while using external code to do the same thing is somehow this horrible sin.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: September 03, 2009, 05:17:30 pm »

I find all of this nonsense silly.

I agree with the sentiment against retroactive item removal along with mistaken identities, but I also agree with valve's reason that items (and specifically hats) are there to reward people FOR PLAYING TF2.

They could've used more tact in all this instead of giving me a NOT A FATTY hat.

Idling in game is different because you're not circumventing anything. And Valve really can't punish people from idling on a server while in TF2. Thats just plain stupid, at least they have the excuse of a 3rd party program against TOS to go back on for the idle program, but idle servers are still allowed because once they start punishing people for what they do on non-valve servers while in-game, or even punishing non-valve servers from running custom maps, then people will get REALLY pissed.

In the end, the droprate was tripled, so just play the damn game to get a hat. and attribute this to valve being as dumb as they are smart.

I hope the goddamn soldier update comes soon.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: September 03, 2009, 05:17:43 pm »

It's simple he was frustrated about his hatlessness, then valve gave him a little medal and said "Feel free to take it out on idlers". Being the good little boy he is he did what every other haloer on the steam forums is doing and said ok and proceeded to be as obnoxious as possible.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 774