Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Of Water & Windows  (Read 777 times)

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Of Water & Windows
« on: February 25, 2009, 10:05:47 pm »

I plan to build an underwater fortress, and with my cunning plan to drain the ocean, it should work well. Windows worry me, however. I read once something that mentioned water pressure and windows and now I need to know if any have had water pressure break windows. Or ocean waves. I can deal with ocean wildlife messing with my windows, but the ocean itself is a different matter.

So, anyone have experience here?

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: Of Water & Windows
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 10:28:10 pm »

If I remember correctly my green glass windows were able to withstand the heat of magma when I carefully placed them in my dining room, which lined my local magma pipe.

I don't really know much about water, but magma, don't worry about it!
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 11:57:47 pm »

If I remember correctly my green glass windows were able to withstand the heat of magma when I carefully placed them in my dining room, which lined my local magma pipe.

All constructions will survive magma.

Green glass windows, uninstalled, will melt.

I doubt water pressure will break the windows; I've never heard of anything like that.

Charging sharks or other ocean predators apparently will break your glass windows. I've only been told that, though.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 12:11:02 am »

All constructions will survive magma.

Green glass windows, uninstalled, will melt.

I doubt water pressure will break the windows; I've never heard of anything like that.

Charging sharks or other ocean predators apparently will break your glass windows. I've only been told that, though.
Only if the creature in question has building destruction, and if they can path to inside your fortress.

Now if water creatures can path over land despite not being able to live there, then you might be in trouble.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 01:25:49 am »

Huh... I have thought about this numerous times. An aquatic fort of doom would be fun to construct. Except I haven't a clue how to work pumps and such. I realize the wiki is there, I've read it, still don't quite understand. Anyway, off to see if I can get my dwarves to spoon the ocean out with buckets...
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 03:07:44 am »

One of the more annoying contingencies of ocean forts is that it's nearly impossible to install water-facing windows and still have a completely free access to the ocean.

Artificial lakes and/or winter-freezing bodies of water, however, are solid.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 01:11:13 pm »

One of the more annoying contingencies of ocean forts is that it's nearly impossible to install water-facing windows and still have a completely free access to the ocean.

Artificial lakes and/or winter-freezing bodies of water, however, are solid.
I'm constantly bumping into that myself, I don't want a ugly obsidian wall around my fort, but I do want underwater constructions (Green glass domes anyone?)
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 01:24:14 pm »

Clearly the only way to get a real underwater fortress without it being accessible part of the year or ugly obsidian everywhere is to drain the ocean. The only non-cheating way of doing this is a chasm next to an ocean. I am working hard on getting such a feature existing, but don't have much aspirations for an underwater fortress.

Although that would be wicked. After I make the space station fortress and goblin pyramid in a lake of magma I'll work on this.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 02:31:58 pm »

Don't forget, your first tantruming dwarf probably wont be very popular with the others in the room as he reaches the windows.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 06:21:27 pm »

I'm not sure if water pressure can destroy windows, but it might just be safer to build walls out of glass blocks.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."