Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fake injuries...  (Read 941 times)

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fake injuries...
« on: February 28, 2009, 12:32:48 am »

I am having a bit of trouble getting my Ant coloney mod to work and need to fix a few things.
1) In DF mode my ants just stand around doing nothing. They are flashing with the red cross yet none of them are injured. I have a feeling its because they are missing a vital body part.
2) In adventure mode civs fail to wear armor, hold weapons or even wrestle enemies properly. When I first start playing all civs i have tested just fall on to the ground and won't get up again. They can move about but do so lying down. Could this be due to the creatures having four legs and only two arms?
3) My wasp civ won't fly. Is there a specific key you have to press? I have tried '<' and '>' but those don't work, the wasps have the flier tag and two wings so I don't see whats wrong. I have a feeling its something to do with the other two problems.

Anyway here are the files:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: Fake injuries...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 12:51:23 am »

3. I believe the only way to fly is to jump off a tall building. If a creature has a [FLIER] tag it won't fall.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 02:28:17 am »

Try rearranging the body tags so that it goes UB, LB, then the Head. The game does weird things sometimes, and this can cause problems as the game will try to connect the head to a upperbody that doesn't exist until a fraction of a second after it tried to connect it. Always try to build bodies in this order.
1. Upperbody
2. Lowerbody
3. Head
4. Limbs
5. Connectors and joints, such as necks and elbows

Edit: Just realized that this isn't your problem. Your wasps are lacking the 2LUNGS tag, so they are suffocating to death without lungs. Either add lungs or give them the [NOBREATHE] tag. You probably want to follow the advice above anyways, though.

The reason your wasp civ can't fly in adventure mode is that the game only calculates the world up a z-level or two above the highest terrain in that block, so if you are on flat terrain you will only be able to fly up maybe one z-level, or maybe not any. Only in mountains or towns will you be able to go higher.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 02:50:26 am »

I was able to fly with fliers via < > so there should be some other problems.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 03:46:07 am »

Try rearranging the body tags so that it goes UB, LB, then the Head. The game does weird things sometimes, and this can cause problems as the game will try to connect the head to a upperbody that doesn't exist until a fraction of a second after it tried to connect it. Always try to build bodies in this order.
1. Upperbody
2. Lowerbody
3. Head
4. Limbs
5. Connectors and joints, such as necks and elbows

Edit: Just realized that this isn't your problem. Your wasps are lacking the 2LUNGS tag, so they are suffocating to death without lungs. Either add lungs or give them the [NOBREATHE] tag. You probably want to follow the advice above anyways, though.

The reason your wasp civ can't fly in adventure mode is that the game only calculates the world up a z-level or two above the highest terrain in that block, so if you are on flat terrain you will only be able to fly up maybe one z-level, or maybe not any. Only in mountains or towns will you be able to go higher.

Thanks for the help, that seems to work. I didn't realise creatures needed internal organs so I didn't add them. As insects don't have lungs and I didn't know what to name what they do have I just left it out.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 12:39:35 pm »

I think that is the only time in my life I have heard or will hear, that someone didn't think living creatures needed organs. Ahhh, Dwarf Fortress.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 12:49:39 pm »

I do think Toady was confused about the new dwarves, until he realized that the brain was acting as a protective layer for the skull.

Daft

• Bay Watcher
  • Enthusiastic but Incompetent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 08:56:43 pm »

3) My wasp civ won't fly. Is there a specific key you have to press? I have tried '<' and '>' but those don't work, the wasps have the flier tag and two wings so I don't see whats wrong. I have a feeling its something to do with the other two problems.

In Adv. Mode? For me it's always been ALT+direction, dunno if that would work here but it's worth a try, right?

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 03:11:39 am »

of course, just to be clear as you have not stated which mode, no civ is capable of flying in fortress mode (having the [flier] tag will lead to them constantly cancelling jobs due to 'dangerous terrain')

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 03:14:11 am »

The flying civ is an enemy civ and an adventuring civ.