Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Male, Female, and Beyond  (Read 2782 times)

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Male, Female, and Beyond
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 10:15:26 am »

I've been thinking. Be afraid!

"Women's Rights" should be called "Gender Equality" or something similarly generic, since it would define 'proper' behaviour for both sexes. The more Conservative "Gender Equality" is, the less women would be seen wearing anything other than dresses (in fact, women wearing pants in an Arch-Conservative society should be a misdemeanor). At Elite Liberal status, many men would be seen wearing dresses in public, too.

Another request I have, especially in light of the new gender system (which affects actual gameplay and isn't just cosmetic like names), is a way to define both the gender of your founder during character generation and the ability to randomize the name until you get one that you like. Maybe also an editable text file with all First and Surnames in it?

Finally, you seem to be in a productive mood lately. Any guesses as to when we'll see the next release?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 12:06:47 pm »

I'm inclined to biological sex and given name random on character creation, since they are out of your control. You can always fix your character up to your liking in-game. Granted, you might have to be going by an alternate name and bucking Conservative society on the gender issue, but that's life for you.

Next release should be awhile yet, there's some major work on the slate for 3.19 that still needs to be done. Anywhere from two weeks to two months, if I stay in a productive mood.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 08:29:57 pm »

is a way to define both the gender of your founder during character generation and the ability to randomize the name until you get one that you like. Maybe also an editable text file with all First and Surnames in it?
This.

Rakeela

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 03:03:36 am »

It would be hilarious (at least to me) if the game randomly determined at the start of it whether the world started out patriarchal or matriarchal.
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the blood god, for it is a dwarven number.  It's number is five-hundred and eighty nine.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53222.0

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 07:31:34 am »

Can we have gender equality instead of womens rights?
It could go like this:

Transvesticism and sex change Illegal, people must comply to gender norms.

Transvesticism discouraged, sex change minor offence.

Transvesticism and sex change discouraged.

Sex change discouraged, but feel free to express yourself.

Be who/what you want to be.

Rakeela

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 09:13:11 am »

Since part of the theme of the game is to be over the top, those'd result in a death penalty, not merely illegality.
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the blood god, for it is a dwarven number.  It's number is five-hundred and eighty nine.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53222.0

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 07:32:53 am »

I'm inclined to biological sex and given name random on character creation, since they are out of your control.

Well, not really. We can just restart repeatedly until we get the name/gender/whatever we want.

Which is sort of a pain in the ass...

Also, huge thumbs up to the idea of a list of names that we can add to!

Edit: And huge thumbs up for adding in gender, as well. Great!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 07:38:08 am by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2009, 03:20:18 pm »

I'm inclined to biological sex and given name random on character creation, since they are out of your control.

Well, not really. We can just restart repeatedly until we get the name/gender/whatever we want.

Which is sort of a pain in the ass...

Yes, exactly. Jonathan, I understand your position from an ideological standpoint, but this seems to be one of those cases where fun should take precedence over realism. Remember also that, going by this criterion, the questions in the beginning would render character generation logically inconsistent because they allow you to define stuff that is just as much outside of your control as your name and gender, for example parental behaviour during your early childhood or the date of your birth.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2009, 03:22:28 pm »

Just have gender be choosable at the start of the game. The name can be randomized, since that's why Codenames were invented in the first place. It was the name Conservative society gave to you, you know...
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2009, 05:03:53 pm »

Okay, I'm persuaded to let you customize your character more at start, including at least gender and maybe name as well.

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2009, 05:32:54 pm »

Thank you! It's just a small crack in the fourth wall at the very beginning... it'll only hurt a little bit, I promise! ;)

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2009, 10:00:26 pm »

Okay, I'm persuaded to let you customize your character more at start, including at least gender and maybe name as well.

Yay!
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2009, 02:00:59 am »

Indeed, thank you!
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2009, 10:53:15 am »

While I always want the option to create a custom character, it would also be cool if we had a "Random Start" option, where everything is randomized.

It's a lot easier than running the program with dice and coin in hand. ;)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2009, 12:06:14 am »

Added the ability to change your name, gender, and have it randomize your character history choices. If you have it randomize your history, it'll still go through the process, but it will select the answers for you (and display only those) instead of letting you decide how to answer each question.
Pages: 1 [2] 3