Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130174 times)

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1980 on: June 29, 2010, 09:30:13 am »

Embarked, tried to stirke the earth, realised nobody had a pick So we couldn't dig. Got set upon by Elephants.
Quickest abandon fort in all of dwarf fortress.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: June 29, 2010, 09:48:05 pm »

got a nice sword dwarf in my 2nd migrant wave , made him the militia captain , put him in a squad and carefully set the training schedule to only require one dwarf, gave him a barracks , an uniform and all that stuff, noticed him a few times doing the odd industrial labor, (for first two years all dwarves do any job in my forts) year three, no kobolds, no goblins, only a peaceful human civ and the dwarven starting one, happened to glance at his skills, the accomplished sword dwarf skill had rusted... to dabbling! *facepalm*  Another facepalm , embark site has no flux , talked to the dwarven laision first fall and requested flux stone, and they dutifully brought three, but the face palm... the moment the laision set foot on the map the fall of year two, he dropped dead of old age, first I knew of it was the gleefull announcements that the monkeys had made off with the <<=STEEL_breastplate=>> then the grieves, and leggings, and high boots, and shield, and his weapon, all masterly decorated masterwork steel worth perhaps 50k dwarfbucks or more each. and it's now year 4 and they have still not apointed another laision, no steel industry for me it seems.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: June 29, 2010, 10:07:46 pm »

Embarked, tried to stirke the earth, realised nobody had a pick So we couldn't dig. Got set upon by Elephants.
Not true. I once managed to land my wagon in a 4x5 island just off the coast. Couldn't get to land because of an aquifer, so no stone. I still don't know how they got out, but they got into legends so I guessed they must have gotten off in some suitibly dwafy way.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: June 29, 2010, 10:40:50 pm »

Started a cavern fortress.  The meeting area will be above ground to combat cave adaption, but otherwise, all industry and farming will be in the caverns.  When I was just one wall away from sealing off the rest of the first cavern I found, a troglodyte started chasing my mason.  The mason ran to the stairs, so I activated my woodcutter to intercept.  The mason then turned the other way, ran right past the incomplete wall and further into the unexplored cavern.  By then, the woodcutter showed up (without his axe of course, forgot to tell him to keep it) and the three of them ran around aimlessly, none of them fast enough to catch anyone.  So I recruited the mason so the woodcutter could catch up.  The three of them start wrestling, when I realize another troglodyte has joined in.  I order the rest of my dwarves the join the match while two more troglodytes show up.  By the end of it, three dwarves are hospitalized, the mason, the carpenter, and my weapon/armorsmith, and the troglodytes are dead.  The rest of the cavern is sealed off.  No chance to make soap, water isn't close enough to use... this will be Fun.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: June 30, 2010, 05:29:36 am »

Started a nice fort in a swamp for a bit of a change.  No aquifer, and a lots of limonite, coal and dolomite a few Zs down, so a chance for early magma-less steel.  Obviously popular - massive migrants pushed me over 70 dwarfs within first year.

Decided to fill the moat around the surface keep, mainly for aesthetic value.  Also decided to make a small offshoot for a well.

Anyone see what's coming next?  Yep...

What z-level did I build that well at?  Below the water source level.  Where did I build it?  In a small un-doored chamber next to my core stairwell.  Did all the dwarves drown?  No, one farmer wasn't at the party.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Dungeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: June 30, 2010, 07:11:53 am »

I started a new world to mess around in, mod, that sort of stuff. Playing around with making an Adamantine fortress, which is really cool. But I'm getting absolutly no Migrants. Only Human caravans and Elven.

Anyway, there's one Dwarf, which I named after myself. The dude has over 60 cats...

Now, I know I like cats, hell, I love cats. I have quite a few of them in real life. But...seriously, everytime I turn around, DungeonDwarf is adopting more and more cats.
I support the eating of Goblins to handle Dwarf food issues. Om nom nom nom, Goblin burgers.

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
  • Thus spice intestinally loft Blanka.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: June 30, 2010, 11:46:40 am »

Urist McNounVerb cancels Gather Plant: Scared by Hoary Marmot.

"Whore-y Marmot? It wears too much makeup and a tubetop?"
"Yeah, and fishnet stockings."
"Maybe Urist was scared of catching the clap."
Strike the earth!
Dwarf Fortress: It menaces with spikes of AWESOME.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: June 30, 2010, 07:02:24 pm »

Not true. I once managed to land my wagon in a 4x5 island just off the coast. Couldn't get to land because of an aquifer, so no stone. I still don't know how they got out, but they got into legends so I guessed they must have gotten off in some suitibly dwafy way.
Even then, in 40d, using nano-fort, someone embarked on an exposed magma pipe and bottomless pit in one region tile. This made the volcano 'erupt'. They died quickly. And then there are the people with the thermonuclear catsplosion turned on from the beginning.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: July 02, 2010, 03:54:16 am »

So my master brewer goes into a mood and starts demanding stone.  A quick look at his profile shows that he's a big fan of orthoclase ...... and I'm sitting on a gigantic pile of sedimentary rock.  I don't want to lose this fellow, so I start digging my main stairwell down to find an orthoclase-friendly layer.  Finally, I hit an igneous intrusive layer (what other game can make you say "Yay! Gabbro!" ?).  I designate another set of stairs so that I can start some exploratory mining.  "You have discovered a gigantic cavern!"

Yeah, and I also discovered a nest of troglodytes right next to my stairwell.  And I have no military set up yet.  Oops!

Note to self: do not do exploratory shaft-digging via your main stairwell.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

musicmastermsh

• Bay Watcher
  • likes procedurally generated music
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: July 02, 2010, 12:45:47 pm »

My current fort's mayor is my best legendary miner.

My entire mining corps is in the middle of channeling out a large pit to expose my dining hall to the sunlight.

This liason arrived and started following the mayor, as he is prone to do.  Even though the mayor is channeling the floor out over a very deep pit.  So... when the liason ended up on the tile the mayor was removing...

And thus, I find a liason corpse in the middle of my dining hall.

Joe-Schmoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: July 02, 2010, 01:01:50 pm »

Ok, this next story is one that I can tell my friend anytime and he will laugh uncontrollably. I don't think it's quite as funny, but here goes.

It's my first fort, and things are (shock!) going rather well; aside from the common newbie mishaps, of course. My fort had two entrances...one near each murky pool that my fisherdwarves were frequenting. One of these entrances was a 2x2 set of floor hatches set into the roof of my fort.

Unfortunatelly, the roof of my fort was a popular grazing area for the packs of horses that liked to roam around. Every now and then, a fisherdwarf would flip out because he saw one of these horses, but in general they avoided us and we avoided them. I thought nothing of it until one day I got a HUGE slew of messages: "Urist McEquiniphobe cancels job: interrupted by Horse". *Pause*. *Zoom to location*.

Ohhhhh crap, one of the horses decided to take a shortcut THROUGH my fortress. Turns out, my hunter (who I had been allowing to hunt at will) pegged one of the bastards in the leg, which sent it into a frenzy. THE CHASE WAS ON. THROUGH MY FORTRESS.

This horse ran in one entrance, past one of the main workshop areas, along the main hallway (FULL of nobles and children) past all of my indoor farmers, and out the front door again. Actually, that's a lie. He didn't use the front door, he jumped into my well and escaped via the aqueduct. Oh, did I mention it was GUSHING BLOOD THE ENTIRE TIME? My main hallway (smoothed walls, engravings, etc.) was now covered in horse blood, as were all the dwarves that happened to be walking along it at the time. Oh yeah, and my water supply was forever red with blood. After the initial ruckus had died down, people got back to work, but I learned my lesson: KEEP THE HATCHES TIGHTLY SEALED.

So everything was fine after that, right? Wrong.

Turns out the fisherdwarves had pets. These pets would often be found begging to be let through one of the floor hatches, and I would pause the game, allow animals through the doors, unpause, wait for Mr. Scruffles to open the hatch (don't ask me how animals can open those things...), pause the game again, set the door to be "tightly sealed", and then get on with whatever it was I was doing. Needless to say, this bugged the hell out of me; I wanted to leave the doors open.

I did what I SHOULD have done from the start: built some traps. I made it impossible to use the hatches without passing at least 3 sawblades large, serrated discs.

I think you can see where this is going...horses are stupid, and not even 4 BUTCHERIES WORKING IN PARALLEL could keep up with the amount of dead horse carcass that piled up on my doorstep. *Shudders*. The entire hillside was red with blood. I swear, if blood behaved like a liquid and not a contaminant, my fort would have had a minor flood every time someone opened one of the hatches.

Another unfortunate side effect was that my dwarves got blood all over them after having used that entrance. They'd go to the well to clean off. The well soon became saturated with the blood of every living creature that ever bled. I dunno, maybe it's kind of badass that my fort's premier meeting area was a place where everyone sat around and chatted while standing knee-deep in blood. Or maybe it's just gross.

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: July 02, 2010, 03:38:48 pm »

That is just awesome...

A friend of mine asked about what he saw on screen:
"Is that lava?"
"No", I responded "that is the blood of my enemies"
He: "Can you give me a copy of that game?"

:D
Glossary #52
Execution shaft aka. dwarven wormhole

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: July 02, 2010, 04:35:14 pm »

That is just awesome...

"Is that lava?"

Why can't my friends be like that.

"What the Carp* are you playing?"
"Dwarf Fortress"
"Dude, it looks like a bunch of dots moving around! What are you supposed to do?"
"Survive and build useless constructs of Magma."
"Well, can you shoot anyone?"
"with a Crossbow and Arrow"
"Well that is gay."
"It is good once you get into it. There are plenty of things you can do!"
"Like Dropping a Nuke after a 25 kill streak?"
"Dude, there is no kill streak, you could kill a million Goblins, Elves, Humans, animals, and other stuff." Closest thing to a nuke is the 'Catsplosion theory'"
"Uhh, whatever this game sucks, there are no graphics and crap."

:'( Now I can only talk about Dwarf Fortress to Complete Strangers on a Fourm! No Offense.

*= Blocking a Vulgar word, is all.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: July 03, 2010, 12:04:00 pm »

That is just awesome...

"Is that lava?"

Why can't my friends be like that.

"What the Carp* are you playing?"
"Dwarf Fortress"
"Dude, it looks like a bunch of dots moving around! What are you supposed to do?"
"Survive and build useless constructs of Magma."
"Well, can you shoot anyone?"
"with a Crossbow and Arrow"
"Well that is gay."
"It is good once you get into it. There are plenty of things you can do!"
"Like Dropping a Nuke after a 25 kill streak?"
"Dude, there is no kill streak, you could kill a million Goblins, Elves, Humans, animals, and other stuff." Closest thing to a nuke is the 'Catsplosion theory'"
"Uhh, whatever this game sucks, there are no graphics and crap."

:'( Now I can only talk about Dwarf Fortress to Complete Strangers on a Fourm! No Offense.

*= Blocking a Vulgar word, is all.
No joke, dude. I'm working at a summer camp and you just quoted verbatum all the questions these little kids asked/responded with when they watched me playing it during lunch.

Kids these days, always with the fancy graphics and shoot-em-ups >>;
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

Joe-Schmoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: July 03, 2010, 02:37:28 pm »

Kids these days, always with the fancy graphics and shoot-em-ups >>;

Well, in my circle of friends, we all play a lot of different games (shooters included). But when the non-dorfers hear the dorfers talking about hilarious stuff that happened...they become dorfers.

I find that scorn and derision are the best tools for convincing people. Instead of "there are no killstreaks or nukes, sorry" you could have said something along the lines of: "Ok. Why don't you go and feed someone else's killstreak while I build a machine that bathes my enemies in lava and then dumps their corpses next to the dining room for butchering?"
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 729