Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2135865 times)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #315 on: July 04, 2009, 01:13:46 am »

Train up your gemcutters, man. Totally!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Kelbin

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:terrifyingly blocky features]
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 04, 2009, 08:03:23 pm »

Aah yes, One of my old forts and my first fort to build a bridge and link it to a lever, I wanted to test it and so i ordered my dwarves to pull it and my ONLY miner was outside coming inside hauling something.

Urist mcminer has been crushed!

And that day i learned to:

1. Start with more then one pickaxe/miner.

2. Check bridges before ordering pull lever.

3. Remove haul duties from miners.
Coalition soldier cancels attack dummy brain: interrupted by Rocklet. x6
Rocklet has scuttled!
Crab has been crushed! x106
Coalition soldier has been crushed! x6
Crab has been crushed! x43

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 05, 2009, 07:08:47 am »

When I realised I was playing 0.27. and that's why the wiki was wrong :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 05, 2009, 01:33:31 pm »

I decided I wanted nice, tall cliffs, and since the fractal map generator was introduced, it never gives them to you.
Oh, it will, just not by default.

What must I do to make that accursed piece of ramptastic nonsense give me sheer, tall the cliffs I crave?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 05, 2009, 01:36:59 pm »

I decided I wanted nice, tall cliffs, and since the fractal map generator was introduced, it never gives them to you.
Oh, it will, just not by default.

What must I do to make that accursed piece of ramptastic nonsense give me sheer, tall the cliffs I crave?

I'm trying to get these as well. I think turning off erode extreme cliffs and increasing the elevation variation helps.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 05, 2009, 03:02:29 pm »

today took the sheer cliffs out because it was screwing with world gen. Races weren't able to build roads like they should have been. 

but damn, i remember the last version when i had a river 27 z levels above my fortress.  I completely forgot about booze production, and about 40 dwarves died before i could get up there. *rolls eyes* My caravans were supplied quite well from that point on, tough. 

and in that same fortress, i wanted to water to all the dried up lakes on the bottom, so i built a channel from hte lake, to the bottom. i didnt' want the water to run out, and so i build a FOUR tile wide channel. I would up flooding the entire lower level, including where my fortress was. >.<

nymersic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 07, 2009, 05:43:18 pm »

causing a cave-in over a magma pipe to 'see what happens' then found out 10 z levels down that I had dug right up along the magma pipe, and the cave-in punctured the roof through all that magma, which sent red hot death flowing through my living quarters

I redirected a river into a volcano very early in my DF career to see what happens.  It took me about 30 seconds to realize that map was now completely useless and I'd have to start over now.  [lag]

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 07, 2009, 06:06:59 pm »

When I learned about the existence of mass claim/forbid/dump/etc. commands.

nymersic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 07, 2009, 08:01:35 pm »

Embarked on freezing biome. The glacier never thawed naturally, so I set up a system to melt the ice with magma and direct the melted ice to the well, via waterfall.

Except I crossed the magma lines and the melt lines. And didn't use magma-safe materials on what should have been the water side of the line. And put all the levers to the magma supply in a little closet behind the well room, which is now full of magma.

Also: Mass construction?!?

Your fault; you should have paid attention when watching Ghostbusters.

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 07, 2009, 09:59:08 pm »

I'm not sure I get the Ghostbusters reference.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 07, 2009, 10:01:45 pm »

DON'T CROSS THE STREAMS!

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 08, 2009, 02:47:40 am »

For a while now I've only started with one miner(often, an unskilled miner, 'cause they're so easy to train), but brought 7 cheap copper picks - no worries about lost picks, and I can retask other dwarves to mine temporarily if I want to quicken my start.

Also: emergency weapons. Enable mining befor conscription and recruits should use the pick and their mining skill to attack.

Chalk

• Bay Watcher
  • oh dear
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 08, 2009, 03:45:36 am »

For a while now I've only started with one miner(often, an unskilled miner, 'cause they're so easy to train), but brought 7 cheap copper picks - no worries about lost picks, and I can retask other dwarves to mine temporarily if I want to quicken my start.

Also: emergency weapons. Enable mining befor conscription and recruits should use the pick and their mining skill to attack.
I like this idea! I've lost one too many forts to the nasty locals. Damned skeletal critters...

Papa Cauldur

• Bay Watcher
  • Eater of Yatagarasu
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 08, 2009, 07:06:20 pm »

Miners digging channels out from beneath them and drowning.

People pulling switches connected to bridges and then running over them.

Dwarven Darwinism. I never try and save them.

SomGuye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 11, 2009, 02:41:36 am »

I'm gonna go ahead and post this story from my other thread.

I tell a miner to carve out a tunnel to the volcano to flood a small area with magma.
Well, the miner decided that he would rather stay and watch the show and soon finds himself waste deep in magma.
No burning, no tortured screams.  He is just standing there leveling up his Swimming ability.

I find out that Temperature was turned off in the Init file.  ( You see where this is going )

I correct the issue, suddenly a food stock pile is on fire, 5 dwarves, a cat and a baby are dead, the fortress is full of smoke and HALF the country side is caught up in a massive prairie fire.

So, as Hyndis said "business as usual."
People burning, booze exploding, the fort is on fire, the countryside has turned to ash.  Its business as usual.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 729