Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130669 times)

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #300 on: July 02, 2009, 04:08:15 pm »

Discovering that I have to add the Captain of the Guard to the Fortress Guard.

Wut ._.

*slightly off topic*

personally i havnt played the 2d version but since the move to 3d i think you always asigned book keeper, sherrif/captian of the guard, broker and manager. but i started with 40d so i dont know when it was actually implemented but in the 2d version as far as i know the captian of the guard was an immigrant noble

*slightly off topic*
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 02, 2009, 04:21:58 pm »

trying to remember.. i think the sheriff would come, and would be promoted up to higher ranks like captain as your fortress grew in population.  same thing for the mayor.  you could assign dwarfs from the military into the fortress guard, or into the royal guard.  i never bothered.

but the royal guard axedwarfs that came with the king, those guys were badass.  only thing that saved my fort from a rampaging bronze collossus that had bypassed all my traps.  these days, you have to cheat just to get a bronze collossus to survive worldgen.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 02, 2009, 04:34:15 pm »

another facepalm monent for me was a tantrum spiral of 69 dwarves caused by a champion who was a legendary wrestler/hammerlord  :o who was armed with steel plate and an artifact iron warhammer who went on a rampage because she had been adopted by 7 cats including kittens 8) which i dumped into the magma masher (magma garbage dump) and killed the mayor who happened to be friends with more than half the population which set the ex-mayors wife to beat up the animals etc and it turns out that the pesky champion survived till the end while only suffering a broken upperbody 2 fingers on her left hand loped off and her right hand loped off. in the end she went mad and jumped in to the magma masher. never before have i seen so much dwarven death by tantrum.  :o
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 02, 2009, 05:25:48 pm »

Discovering that I have to add the Captain of the Guard to the Fortress Guard.

Wut ._.
When the population is high enough, the sheriff promotes to Captain of the Guard.

Except it doesn't automatically put him in the Fortress Guard. He's technically not a guard. I look at him, and it gives me the option to put him in the guard. If I don't, I think he just mills about, not doing much. Doesn't spar, I think.

Might be a glitch. Might.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 02, 2009, 05:27:50 pm »

The nice thing about leaving the Captain of the Guard out of the Fortress Guard is that then he actually does work.  He still hunts down and beats up or jails criminals.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 02, 2009, 05:45:43 pm »

The nice thing about leaving the Captain of the Guard out of the Fortress Guard is that then he actually does work.  He still hunts down and beats up or jails criminals.

Oh okay.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 02, 2009, 07:11:44 pm »

I decided I wanted nice, tall cliffs, and since the fractal map generator was introduced, it never gives them to you.

So I made them. Not the hard way. The DWARF way.

By which I mean, I udermined the outlines of the cliffs I wanted, set up a lever and supports, channeled out so that there were gigantic plates of rock suspended by only a few supports like a wedding cake.

Then I PULLED THE LEVER..

Actually, pulling the lever worked perfectly well - in fact, it even saved me the trouble of finding the magma pipe, since it revealed it for me.

What did not work so hot was the fact that there was a plateau on one of the levels, unsupported by the rest of the level, but accessable from the level below. I forgot this, forgot to (a) support it to the rest of it's Z-level or (b) to leave out a square to be left alone.

Resulting in the idiot who undermined it squishing himself dramatically.

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 02, 2009, 09:20:36 pm »

When I first discovered the joys of a bin.

"Oh Armok damn it, stupid finished goods stockpile filling up too quick...hey, whats this, bins?" *Makes some* "...Oh you have to got to be carping me." *facepalm*

When I first discovered noise.

"Why does my dwarves complain of sleeping uneasily due to noise?" *Checks the wiki* "..." *facepalm*

When I first discovered mass dumping.

When I thought that traps would spring on your dwarves if they walked over them, so I didn't bother with them.

Those are about the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 03, 2009, 02:46:04 am »

The largest face palm moment I ever had was when I channeled the sea into my gem stockpile while trying to set up a desalinization pump.

Jordo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 03, 2009, 10:11:12 am »

In one of my earliest forts, I dug into a small dirt hill. A stockpile in the back was dug in such a way that it left a diagonal opening. I ignored it, and my dwarves paid dearly. The goblins made it inside before I even knew there was an ambush! Plus, I had no army.

Ralith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 03, 2009, 11:00:37 am »

I was angry with the inefficiency of a fort.
SO, I tried to flood it from a brook.

The first death was from dehydration.
Sig to be updated momentarily.

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 03, 2009, 06:06:10 pm »

My best facepalm moment was this:

Thinking I was clever to "attempt" (yes its in quotes D: ) a "controlled" cave-in to make my fort look nicer.  There was a cave in allright, that dropped all of my miners into my moat, destroying the ONLY entrance to my fort (a draw bridge). I then carved out another entrance to go save said dwarves. This isnt the face palm moment yet. The face palm moment comes when I forgot to un designate the rest of the channeling on the parts that didnt cave in yet...

Which of course led to one dwarf rebuilding the bridge, going and saving one dwarf that didnt drown yet (SOMEHOW?), crossing the bridge at the EXACT time the other miner dwarves finished the "controlled" cave-in. YET AGAIN destroying the bridge, and falling into the EXACT same moat, but now with an extra casualty. The dwarf that tried to save the first one that almost died.

Amazingly none of them died! I <3 DF. ;)
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 03, 2009, 06:22:17 pm »

I sometimes forget when I'm making moats that channeling digs the tile below too.  Water or magma(!) floods my beloved fort.

*cries at lost forts this way

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 04, 2009, 01:00:37 am »

I decided I wanted nice, tall cliffs, and since the fractal map generator was introduced, it never gives them to you.
Oh, it will, just not by default.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 04, 2009, 01:11:30 am »

I was going to build an underwater glass fortress. It was my first time working with glass. I created about 200 raw glass, only to find that you need GLASS BLOCKS to build constructions out of glass.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 729