Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 553 554 [555] 556 557 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2137334 times)

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8310 on: February 14, 2014, 06:54:28 pm »

she was diagnosed by a dwarf with no eyes. I fear her condition immensely.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8311 on: February 14, 2014, 07:06:16 pm »

Doctor: Tell me, does it hurt when I touch here?
Mace Lord: Gahh!
Doctor: Okay, great. Tell me, which part of your body is 'here'?

She has three fractures and three shattered bones (the missing foot doesn't really count here, since stumps don't get infected). Based on a bunch of run-throughs with a dwarf with eight shattered bones, she'll probably be fine if you have soap and a table.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8312 on: February 14, 2014, 09:07:23 pm »

she'll probably be fine if you have soap and a table.
Dwarven healthcare people: tables, cloth, thread, water and soap can cure all your wounds...

ColdOneK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8313 on: February 14, 2014, 09:55:26 pm »

I didn't know there was a way for dwarves to get caught in traps...that they make..
~likes grizzlies for the epicness - dwarves for their melee - prefers to drink bourbon and coke when possible - needs alcohol to get through the working day - a fat stubby creature prone to arrogance and bouts of insanity~

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8314 on: February 14, 2014, 11:25:57 pm »

if dwarves are stunned or webbed, they are vulnerable to their own traps. (I don't think they can dodge either. this was a legendary mace lord with godly stats, legendary shield user and talented dodger yet every attack hit)

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8315 on: February 15, 2014, 07:05:26 am »

When I realized you need to assign high boots, gauntlets, gloves, and socks twice for the militia to equip 2 of each
What... uh... crap. *facepalm* D:

EDIT: This thread says it is needed only when assigning single items, not general uniform.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 07:16:31 am by reality.auditor »
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8316 on: February 15, 2014, 07:54:47 am »

if dwarves are stunned or webbed, they are vulnerable to their own traps. (I don't think they can dodge either. this was a legendary mace lord with godly stats, legendary shield user and talented dodger yet every attack hit)

Learned it when I had the "genius" idea to build my silk farm at the fortress entrance trap corridor, so I can repurpose it with the help of a drawbridge as a web trap. Then my legendary squad arrived to fight the invaders right there on top of the webbed traps. Ouch.

Second facepalm was when I sent in the clean-up crew later to take care of the mass: only mistake was that I forgot to raise the drawbridge that separated the tame spider and the bait goblin from the fortress proper. By the time I noticed that all my dwarves freaked out because of the goblin, and were waltzing up and down in the entrance corridor it was too late to find someone to pull the lever...
Palm hits the face through the spectacles bruising the brain.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8317 on: February 15, 2014, 08:17:36 am »

this is why I put cage traps at the entrance and weapon traps far away from the fort. It just happened that my GCS followed a caravan guard outside.

I made a masterwork platinum crutch for the macelord. with that equipped, I honestly think it might be deadlier than the silver mace she's holding.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8318 on: February 15, 2014, 10:04:20 am »

and the gem cutter tried to suture with adamantine strands, instead of the thousands of units of silk/plant thread in the hospital.

luckily i forbade it before anything bad happened.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 06:56:13 pm by PDF urist master »

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8319 on: February 15, 2014, 06:52:06 pm »

and the gem cutter tried to suture with adamantine strands, instead of the thousands of units of cloth in the hospital.

luckily i forbade it before anything bad happened.
Indestructible stitches sounds like it would be annoying for a demon to pick out of their teeth...

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8320 on: February 15, 2014, 09:08:34 pm »

I forgot to use magma safe materials in my pump stack. Whoooops.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8321 on: February 16, 2014, 04:08:56 am »

I pulled what I thought was the lever to open the drawbridge leading to the cavern. When I started getting spam about job interruptions, I learned that I had actually pulled the lever that released two yak thralls from their pit... Bye bye fortress.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8322 on: February 16, 2014, 06:04:01 am »

Why did you have that as an option?

Also, finished my magma cart relay. Cart goes down, fills with magma, empties itself into a pit, is dropped, and the process starts again. This was all well and good until about half the fort thought it was a good idea to walk to the magma forges through the minecart track after I started up the quantum stockpilers.

Nuffin like the smell of melting dwarves to make you want to shoot the bastards that survived.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8323 on: February 16, 2014, 10:07:10 am »

Why did you have that as an option?

Because some things, like having a lever to open the door to certain death at the hands of unstoppable undead beasts, only looks like a bad idea in retrospect.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8324 on: February 16, 2014, 10:46:07 am »

big problem with my mace lord. she's not using the crutch I assigned her. by which I mean she's not using any crutch at all. so far her broken bones are healing nicely, status going from red to yellow. she still has 4 infections though.

I forbade, dumped and reclaimed the crutch I want her to use. hopefully it will solve the problem.
Pages: 1 ... 553 554 [555] 556 557 ... 729