Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2131046 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1245 on: March 07, 2010, 06:12:05 pm »

Best use of bone IMO is to decorate crap or make bolts. Just leave the task on repeat. An item can be decorated by many different types of bone, leading to some items with the entire screen filled with descriptions of the stuff decorating them.

Also, I was recently sieged by an army of monsters I modded in, called great demon spiders, and for some inexplicable reason my dwarves would run out to meet them. After one third of my fort died and another sixth died to the resulting spiral, I realized that the cause of the rush were human, orc, goblin, and spider leather and bone trinkets dropped by the spiders when they arrived.

Because the spiders couldn't wear the items due to lacking the appropriate bodyparts, they'd fall off when the spiders arrived. Then, my greedy dwarves would automatically detect them and rush out to grab them, leading to their unfortunate demise.

TL:DR - Spiders dropping loot outside my fortress to lure my dwarves to their silky doom.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: March 07, 2010, 11:37:41 pm »

I'm starting to suspect I broke my dwarves' brains somehow... 

I'm finally back up to the "Dragon attack" (resulted in running straight into a cage trap because I removed ramps until creatures had to march in along just a couple predictable paths), and when the dragon hit, I once again hit "only soldiers go outside".

My dwarves pretty much dutifully once again hid themselves from harm.

Except for one character, who is my second-best cook.  She was carrying a bag of rat weed seeds from the earlier tradesplosion.  Her job was listed as "dump item".  This was odd because she was sitting right at the enterance to my fort, doing nothing.  I mean, sitting there watching the dragon walk by as it went and got itself stuck in a trap, doing nothing.  When I let dwarves back outside, she immediately ran outside to just go toss the seeds onto the grass.

What's worse is that this stack of seeds had to have come from inside my fort, and I have NO outside dump sites, meaning she's sitting out in the open waiting for the green light to march out in the open when I have the "outside forbidden" to do something she's not even supposed to do.  I have NO idea what my dwarves are thinking anymore, and I'm really starting to suspect that the large number of random trash items is starting to cause severe AI bugs.

edit:  There were actually several pages of seeds sitting on a single tile in the grass near my enterance.  Apparently, my farmers have been dumping seeds here ALL YEAR without my knowledge.

There does seem to be a bug where dwarves will treat any bag/barrel which contains seeds exactly like a seeds stockpile. This means that they will go as far as to pile vast numbers of loose seeds in a single place despite you never having designated that area as a stockpile. This is especially annoying if, for example, a caravan drops a barrel of seeds far from your entrance during an attack, then ALL your dwarves rush out to dump seeds there for no reason.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: March 07, 2010, 11:50:40 pm »

I'm finally back up to the "Dragon attack" (resulted in running straight into a cage trap because I removed ramps until creatures had to march in along just a couple predictable paths), and when the dragon hit, I once again hit "only soldiers go outside".

Except for one character, who is my second-best cook.  She was carrying a bag of rat weed seeds from the earlier tradesplosion.  Her job was listed as "dump item".  This was odd because she was sitting right at the enterance to my fort, doing nothing.  I mean, sitting there watching the dragon walk by as it went and got itself stuck in a trap, doing nothing.  When I let dwarves back outside, she immediately ran outside to just go toss the seeds onto the grass.

What's worse is that this stack of seeds had to have come from inside my fort, and I have NO outside dump sites, meaning she's sitting out in the open waiting for the green light to march out in the open when I have the "outside forbidden" to do something she's not even supposed to do.  I have NO idea what my dwarves are thinking anymore, and I'm really starting to suspect that the large number of random trash items is starting to cause severe AI bugs.

edit:  There were actually several pages of seeds sitting on a single tile in the grass near my enterance.  Apparently, my farmers have been dumping seeds here ALL YEAR without my knowledge.

There does seem to be a bug where dwarves will treat any bag/barrel which contains seeds exactly like a seeds stockpile. This means that they will go as far as to pile vast numbers of loose seeds in a single place despite you never having designated that area as a stockpile. This is especially annoying if, for example, a caravan drops a barrel of seeds far from your entrance during an attack, then ALL your dwarves rush out to dump seeds there for no reason.
Annoying in some contexts, certainly, but not a bug. See the init.txt file for information about bin preferencing and how you can change it.

teloft

• Bay Watcher
  • We found the zirilid stream
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: March 08, 2010, 04:35:27 am »

it would be so nice if the d. would stop running to the corner of the map to do silly things.
We found the zirilid stream

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: March 08, 2010, 11:26:43 am »

I'm happily watching my one not wounded champion knock a bunch of ambushers into pieces with his steel hammer, and when I get back to my fort, I notice that my dwarven reactor has stopped working, which caused my mist generator to fail, which put mud all over my nice floors. 

Then I realized that while 1 tile wells are easy to fill, they empty really quickly, and I guess that they drank up my reactor fuel?
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: March 08, 2010, 12:19:40 pm »

Weaponsmith got possessed and rushed off to make his artifact.  I see him grab some bars from the nearby cluttered smelter and he begins his work, so I don't worry about it after that.

I have a number of modded metals, one is starmetal (from Order Of The Stick) that starmetal is heavy as all get out and rare as hell. and like bismuth, you can't make anything with it, just alloy it.  The alloys, stariron and starsteel, are quite nice, almost 2x iron.  I was saving some up to make a starsteel greatsword for one of my champions.

The weaponsmith takes all 3 bars of starmetal I collected in 4 years of fortress life and makes a solid starmetal warhammer.  For one, it's really heavy.  For 2 Pure starmetal has no weapon or armor stats, making it as good as wood, and for 3, the big one.  My modded fortress race cannot use warhammers!   ...At least it's worth alot.

I have now learned to lock up my expensive super rare metals.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

OldManNeck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: March 08, 2010, 07:55:07 pm »

This just happened recently. My entire fort is going insane for one reason. I didn't know that drinks were made by the barrel. I thought that they could be added to barrels separately. So, my dorfs get ambushed drinking from the river, a lot of them die, and the friends of the dead dorfs tantrum. The miasma isn't helping either.
"We sell products and get in fights"-Saxton Hale

Set_Beadra

• Bay Watcher
  • The one, and only, Beadra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: March 08, 2010, 11:29:20 pm »

Just, this....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We all die eventually, though more so for dwarfs.

An insane child kills the remaining group of spine injured dwarfs shortly before starving to death himself. Thus ended Weightknives. May the souls of the fallen rest in every level of Armok's 1000 hells.

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: March 09, 2010, 03:14:12 am »

I just pressed "Shift + >" to move the page down in firefox...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: March 09, 2010, 03:27:28 am »

Just, this....

Many-pointed stars?  Haha, it's a thong of CHAOS.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: March 09, 2010, 05:10:42 am »

My latest:

I had nice little fortress running, very self sufficient with only 10 dwarves. The I get Orc siege. No problem, I just pull the lever that raises the bridge to my fort and wait the orcs to leave.
What, the bridge doesn't rise?!
*facepalm*
Forgot to link the lever to the bridge. At the point when my mechanic was starting to do the linking the orcs were over my bridge already...
All the blood everywhere...
So beautiful... *sniff*
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

belannaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: March 09, 2010, 06:01:03 am »

I was melting crap I had made for mandates and happened to melt a masterwork of my legendary weaponcrafter who went to tantrum and broke a fishery and promptly got his skull smashed in by the captain of the guard...

Gculk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: March 09, 2010, 12:00:04 pm »

Urist McWoodcrafter has created Uselesswood, a Shitty Wooden Idol!
Urist McWoodcrafter cancels Store Item in a Stockpile: Interrupted by Cave Swallowman
Urist McWoodcrafter has fallen down a deep chasm.

Useless/worthless idol, and the loss of a useless legendary in seconds.  Hurrah.

John Keel

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_AVATAR:ALWAYS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: March 09, 2010, 03:27:07 pm »

So, I'm in the middle of an Orc siege. I have about 40 dwarves. They had done a lot of damage in other sieges, but it was only around 7 dwarves total. There had been 2 others, the first with no ranged, the second with a single boworc (who killed 3 crossbowdwarves.) This one, though, had about 15 crossboworcs. I did fairly well from my fortified walls, and killed off a bunch. But there was a problem: the rest of them were behind my fort at a point where I had only walls, not fortifications, due to a height difference. "OK," I thought. "I can build ramps up on to the walls. After all, one of my (4) marksdwarves has an artifact crossbow!" But no, it was not to be. Two died, and when I tried to get them to retreat, they held their ground. 6 other dwarves came up to grab their items, and 5 died instantly. The last one fell off the wall into the fort, and was constantly spamming "Urist McWounded cancels Rest: Interrupted by Orc Wrestler" for some stupid reason until he died later. Thinking that I could kill them with a little magma, delivered piping hot, Fuck the World style, I set up my pumps and windmill. Everything was in place except for the final wall to prevent it from spilling into my main fort and the final access channel to allow in the magma constantly pumped into my furnace area.
This was where things went even more completely and horribly wrong. In order to prevent myself from killing everyone, the upper one of two pumps had a door in front of it, connected to a lever. However, because the orcs would murder anyone who tried to build in their sight (which I wasn't quite stupid enough to do) I had to remove a section of wall in plain sight. I removed one section of wall in the tube that connected the upper pump and replaced it with a door. Orcs hadn't been able to destroy my test door for the lower magma flooding channel, so I assumed I was fine. I wasn't.
Turns out that they can destroy wood doors, but not rock ones. They got into my fort and basically started killing everyone. My four champion hammerdwarves killed only two of the 20ish remaining orcs before dying, and all I had remaining was a bunch of dwarves out in the main fort (who will be referred to as "Acceptable Losses" from now on) and about 10 dwarves locked into their bedrooms, which I always door off so that I can have a massive dining hall without overlapping. I figured that I might as well kill as many orcs as I could (they were just standing around in the main halls after killing everyone) and my one dwarf with a pick digs out the final magma channel. Magma zooms over to my secondary pump. My fortress starts burning.
Eventually, the orcs have all either died or left. My miner and a single peasant have died (I accidentally unlocked one of the doors in their wing without noticing) and my remaining 8 dwarves, in various states of woundedness, are walled off in the final bed wing after the door jammed on a piece of clothing. My glassmaker is in possession of a pick after a daring run just allows him to make it past the magma and orcs about to kill him and remove any hope of survival after a reclaim. All my food and booze is gone.
Currently, all but 2 of those 8 are dead, and 2 of the 5 migrants that arrived just in time to save my ass are dead to either smoke or orc wounds leaving them in bed with no buckets.

I think I need to build some sort of facepalm machine for myself.
King of the Onslaught of Narwhals

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: March 09, 2010, 08:52:43 pm »

Just, this....

... It's a thong with SPIKES? 

I suddenly think of that episode of the Simpsons, where Homer keeps putting on more thongs that get sucked into his rolls of fat and dissapear, prompting him to say, "Oh, I hope that's going somewhere good..."

... let's just hope the spikes pointed OUTWARDS.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 729