Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130593 times)

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1365 on: April 04, 2010, 06:42:02 pm »

Arena mode, built a highly skilled fox to fight a kobold... without realizing the kobold also had those skill presets. Result: One strangled fox.

Tried again with higher-skilled foxes, eventually armored in an adamantine breastplate... results: three more strangled foxes.

Eventually realized I can copy multiple creatures and have them all on the same side. Result: Six heavily armored foxes and one bloody pile of kobold.

Decided to see if this kind of zerg rush would work on bigger creatures. Result: 49 foxes variously torn to pieces, incinerated, or thrown against the wall to splatter, one dragon with a dented eye, and one fox that somehow survived being hurled across the canal to where the dragon didn't want to path over to it.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: April 04, 2010, 07:23:24 pm »

In my first real game - I had a few short lived practice games but only discovered DF about 3 weeks ago - I made it to year 6 with only one justice violation, and that was due to not having an anvil when my first mandate appeared.

Sadly, as the human caravan was leaving, my tax collector issued a mandate forbidding the export of bins. 4 dead, 8 jailed.

I think it's time for this bin loving pervert to have an accident.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: April 04, 2010, 07:24:43 pm »

When I realized that frequent saving is *probably* a good idea on a buggy release.

Well, inleast the new embark site has better caverns.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

firecrystal

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: April 05, 2010, 01:42:51 am »

I have just finished dragging out the dwarf chunks from my fortress after my first goblin ambush quickly dispatched my woefully underarmored, understaffed and undertrained military force (all three of them) and got into my fortress, slaughtering dozens of dwarves, because a side door to the fort was held open with a rock. I now have about ten dwarves, but only because migrants came in to help me clean up. *facepalm*
Firecrystal cancels Engrave Signature: Interrupted by cliche.
I'm fond of the time the whole inside of the world melted and fell into the center of the world.

Psithief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: April 05, 2010, 05:01:27 am »

I just realised that to equip my military, my arsenal dwarf must NOT be in the military, because being in the military prevents the dwarf from doing civilian jobs!!!

When your Arsenal Dwarf is "Preparing Equipment Manifests", you're doing it right.

TheDancinZerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: April 05, 2010, 05:51:04 am »

I just realized that rhesus macaques will steal stuff that is not being watched.  This is significant because I made all of my dwarfs mine out my base, they stole my axe, i have no wood... No beds... Game over man game over.

And now, Urist McMiner cancels channel, interrupted by giant cave spider.... When you thought bad couldn't go to worse...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 06:21:56 am by TheDancinZerg »

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: April 05, 2010, 10:38:02 am »

I tried to dam a river using the old drain method; built a bridge to block the river, dug out the fortifications, dug out the ramps to let the river in, pulled the lever to raise the bridge. At this point I realized I did not have a raising bridge, which would stop the waterflow, I had a retracting bridge which did not a dam(n) thing. I've done this often enough I should know better.

atomicthumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: April 05, 2010, 10:15:56 pm »

forgot to build doors around my legendary miner, who couldn't get the stuff he needed for a mood.

now I've had a total of six berserk dwarves, and they're all dehydrated and starving because one of them is choking a farmer to death in the entrance of my fort.

returntonull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: April 06, 2010, 12:46:42 am »

Logistics error, resulted in my well not being done as winter hit, and the river froze. I'd just run out of booze, and thus I got to watch all 18 dwarves die of thirst.

On reclaim, I found the mechanisms I'd set up in hopes that spring would hit before they all died had delinked and I now had a well based geyser instead of drinking water.

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: April 06, 2010, 02:18:55 am »

So I was trying to figure out why there was a sea of magma at every single site, until I finally realized it's supposed to be the mantle.

You'd think that'd be my first thought...
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: April 06, 2010, 06:16:56 am »

I had moderately well preparations for my first siege. A squad of five moderately trained swordsmen in nice armor (all iron... except for the hood, which was a bad idea in itself... and the lack of a SHIELD). I stationed them in front of the entrance to greet the invaders.

Just as my last military dwarf was slaughtered I was wondering, why I didn't retract the drawbridge to force them to go over the death walk I prepared... and why I didn't train marksdwarves to shoot at them from the fortified room stocked with plenty of iron bolts.
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: April 06, 2010, 06:24:43 am »

Load up me new DF 0.3, embark on an uninteresting place, struggle through all the bugs... reallise I embarked with a rather deep aquifer and proceed to turn the entire map into a wasteland of pits where I failed to pierce the vile thing... which is everywhere, there is no room for another attempt.  The stream full of carp has leaked down into it.  There is a sturgeon trapped with my surgeon. One of my miners is carefully trying to dig UP without colapsing the entire region so he can find some food before he starves. My woodcutter is on a doughnut shaped spire of earth that is now clear of trees. And my farmer is lazy.

Asdwolf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: April 06, 2010, 08:08:06 am »

Getting my dwarf's head ripped off by a giant eagle right at the start of a fortress....the head was dropped 3 tiles away from the rest of his body, with only an ear and his nose nearby.  :-\

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: April 06, 2010, 09:37:59 am »

Learning that I can designate digs that span z levels.

Ouch...Ouch...Ouch...

I have carpal tunnel from hitting  <, d, i, i, <, d, i, i .... so many times I cannot count.  I've been playing for a year or so...
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

Asdwolf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: April 06, 2010, 12:01:51 pm »

How do you manage that? When I do that, it just designates on the level you end at.

EDIT: New facepalm: got some migrants, they turned up on the other side of the river, and I haven't built a bridge there yet...darn
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 01:20:37 pm by Asdwolf »
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 729