Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126486 times)

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1440 on: April 12, 2010, 10:04:19 pm »

I just got attacked by a forgotten beast that's composed of living silver.

Turns out that whatever makes bronze colossi nearly immortal also applies to this thing.  Squad of legendary swordsdwarves hacking away at it for half an hour; they've removed every limb it has and it's long since been rendered harmless, but it's not dead.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: April 12, 2010, 10:33:54 pm »

So, I started a new fort in the new version, and I had a good location and everything was going well, I decided to start up my farming, so I dug to a place where I had sandy soil and dug out a space for a farm.

Yeah, despite having read about it around here, I forgot that the new version requires the ground to be muddied even when it's soil. *facepalm*

So I dug an irrigation chamber next to the farm with a hole to the surface for filling, set up a door and linked lever and all, and set a pond zone to fill the chamber.  The chamber filled up to 3/7 and then... the dwarfs started filling the pond zone from itself *facepalm*

I quickly designated two drinking zones and set dwarfs to only use designated zones and filling resumed

Oh, by the way, those two zones are from murky pools about 10 squares away from my irrigation chamber to the north and south, which I hadn't noticed, so I could have just channeled the water to my farm zone, except I didn't notice they were there until I'd already had dwarfs filling the irrigation room, and at this point I was too stubborn (and in a bit of a hurry, since two migrant waves had shown up and were taxing my stores) *facepalm*

and I didn't know migrants would now show up before teh first caravan visit, which deserves another face palm.

So I let my irrigation room flood the farm and then it turns out that you can't designate a farm on a square taht has more than 1/7 water.  I don't even know if that's new of if it's always been like that, but... *facepalm* I have the second door to my farm removed so the excess can spill out into the main hall so I can get the farm built.  Then my farming enables dorf takes his sweet time building the farm, and again takes forever planting the first seed.

Yeah, I blame part of it on using the play now option and not knowing who has what skill... it didn't help I had only one pick and one miner who wasn't the highest skilled to begin with.

Lots of face palm.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: April 12, 2010, 11:20:09 pm »

Been trying to work on a "sustainable" fort with a few mini-mega-projects, living pods, legendary dining rooms, etc - mostly to get hospitals and barracks up and running for 31.02 testing purposes.

Ending up deciding to reroute a brook underneath my fort (a net movement of about 6 map tiles) as the first step in the mini-mega-project (a rounded dining room was also an attempt, but we shall not speak of that).

Ended up deciding to do it right - make it drainable in the event of an emergency, prevent attackers from crawling into it, prevent trees from growing into it...
Spent more than an in-game year digging it out, and dumping the stone out behind the miners. Ended up building a grating system to filter attackers.

Decided that I should smooth the inside of it to prevent trees from growing (dumb in hindsight, I know).

Got an ambush during the middle of the smoothing. Maul-equipped goblins. My smoothers didn't stand a chance.

Decided to test out the river-rerouting system - activated the grates, lowered and raised the associated bridges...

The goblins murdered the heck out of my dwarves, but the slowly advancing wall of water caught up to them.

And they ran...
and ran...
and ran...
back to the other side of the brook.

The water slammed into them, drowning 5 of them...

And 2 of them phased through the grate due to the well documented water-pressure critter glitch.

And by that point they had enough points in swimming to stop drowning.

Of course, I didn't realize that until I decided to try and put more water into the system by changing the routing scheme, and I let them free.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: April 13, 2010, 02:13:00 am »

discovering the d->b menu.

oh god, the finger-destroying ages spent with the k tool manually dumping individual stones

Oh man same here for me.

I remember digging out a large room, and then sighing as I would press 'k' then I'd press right, D, right, D, right, D etc etc until i marked like 200 stones for dumping.

Then someone showed me mass dumping...  I love that man.

NO ONE SHOWED ME THAT.

FreakyCheeseMan cancels Do Homework: Throwing Tantrum.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Tallim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: April 13, 2010, 05:10:06 am »

Real stupid one this, setup a series of floodgates to transport water from the brook into the deep part of my fortress. All worked perfectly except I had forgotten to block the initial access point for my miners/mechanics by the brook. Area filled up with water then flowed back into my main access shaft and proceeded to dump water straight into my deepest level.

I relearned the lesson, safety first!
Cats always land on their feet, finding the feet after is the trick.

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: April 13, 2010, 07:09:15 am »

Just built a massive windmill tower, wide at the bottom, thinner at the top, rounded(ish) roof, set up all the gears and axles, a couple of millstones, next to a large above-ground barn full of storage areas.
Put the windmill turbine as the large moment of triumph and completion.

Trust my map to not have any wind.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: April 13, 2010, 08:03:55 am »

Just built a massive windmill tower, wide at the bottom, thinner at the top, rounded(ish) roof, set up all the gears and axles, a couple of millstones, next to a large above-ground barn full of storage areas.
Put the windmill turbine as the large moment of triumph and completion.

Trust my map to not have any wind.

This is the best thing I have heard all day.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: April 13, 2010, 08:50:45 am »

All I can say to that, sir, is XD.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: April 13, 2010, 12:24:34 pm »

Related to DF, so I'll post it here.

As running community fort, I'm doing a lot screen capturing to record the events and dwarves. Now, don't know where it originates to, but I'm used to do WinKey + PrintScreen combination. This results capture of the whole screen, which then goes:
Screen capture -> paste to Paint -> copy the section containing the game screen -> start new picture (and answer no to the saving question) -> paste the copied section -> save.

A lot work for one picture.

Now, I just learned that if I press the PrintScreen button alone, it will take screenshot from the active window only... ::)

*facepalm*

Now, I do know thing or two about computers (studying IT at the university). I just haven't used screen capturing much before DF (actually, I think only twice as far as I remember), so that may explain this. I found it out when I tried to find a way to get a screenshot from secondary screen (running in dual monitor atm) and the DF is running on the secondary screen.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: April 13, 2010, 12:38:43 pm »

In my first .31 fort, I defended my initial entrance with a few stone-fall traps.  That was plenty early on, but goblin attacks kept getting past them to kill (literally) half my military each time.

After three or four ass-kickings, I suddenly realized, "wait...I can build more traps."
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: April 13, 2010, 02:10:17 pm »

In my first .31 fort, I defended my initial entrance with a few stone-fall traps.  That was plenty early on, but goblin attacks kept getting past them to kill (literally) half my military each time.

After three or four ass-kickings, I suddenly realized, "wait...I can build more traps."
You're gonna need a bigger trap.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: April 14, 2010, 08:48:38 am »

Oh, some cave creatures. I'll just build a door to keep them out of my main stairwell.
 ::)

!!Zombie Carp!!

• Bay Watcher
  • Look into my eyes... you must give cooookieesss...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: April 14, 2010, 11:46:59 am »

Oh, some cave creatures. I'll just build a door to keep them out of my main stairwell.
 ::)

Even though your fortress is in a state of emergency, don't forget that dwarves will trap themselves behind constructed walls fully half the time. They aren't clever enough to figure that they will die if they are on any one particular side of it on their own.  :(

Urist McLegendaryMason has been struck down.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 11:50:37 am by !!Zombie Carp!! »
[pizza=omnomnom]

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: April 14, 2010, 01:12:52 pm »

I embarked on a cold forest.

Everything was frozen, which is fine.  I found the perfect area for defenses, so i get set up, and begin digging out a massive supply area, but first i start to get my industry set up. 

Then the thaw hits.

Turns out that my wagon was on top of a frozen lake, dumping all of my supplies into the water, and drowning 3 dwarves, including the expedition leader. >.<

Hangedman

• Bay Watcher
  • Here, at the limit of this quiet world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: April 14, 2010, 02:48:39 pm »

This, over and over, no matter how elaborate an irrigation system I cook up:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=87

Can't the soil AROUND the water said to be muddied as well?
No, I am not ready to embark, thank you very much
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 729