Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130887 times)

BladeBerserker

• Bay Watcher
  • BladeBerserker cancels Life; Interrupted by DF
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1965 on: June 26, 2010, 09:54:09 am »

1:Spent an hour preparing the perfect embark.

2:Got there.

3:Realised I forgot the axe.

4:FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
If it doesn't work, apply magma. If THAT doesn't work, apply Artifact Gabbro Cabinet

heuristicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: June 26, 2010, 10:10:18 am »

Not so much a facepalm as a pretty funny and relatively stupid thing:

I did a controlled collapse on the floor above what is to become my statue garden, open to the skies.  I didn't realise that when collapsing things, they can break through the floor.  I now have a huge hole leading into the second cavern layer.  Ah well, time to floor it over.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: June 26, 2010, 10:25:44 am »

wooden training axes cut trees.
No forge required.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

AntiSheep

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: June 26, 2010, 02:08:43 pm »

My first fort to last about two year. I had only just figured out the metal industry and equipped my 4 legendary wrestlers with iron armor. I had my first goblin ambush, so no big deal I send out my squad... who all die within about 4 seconds. They make it onto my fort and the first person they run into is my legendary miner, who kills 3 of them.

heuristicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: June 26, 2010, 02:11:18 pm »

Today is turning out to be a pretty fun day.

Currently building an obsidian factory, so I was a little distracted.  Designated some trees to be cut down in a cavern I opened up, and got back to the water channels.  First facepalm is when I start to dig out the last layer above the magma.  Naturally, some idiot decides to channel the wrong bit of floor, and 2 of my legendary miners fall to their fiery demise.

Not that I minded too much, still got 5 legendary miners.  At this point, some people got a little upset, because one of those who died turned out to be one of the original 7.  Not great.

Anyway, after deciding to give up the channeling and get on with setting up levers and floodgates and so on, I notice a pink message.  Oh?  None of my dwarves recently went into strange moods.  I go to the announcements, and it turns out a bloody GCS spawned somewhere in the caverns and has now ravaged 5 or so dwarves who were hauling wood from the cavern.  Luckily, none of them particularly useful (ok, a legendary + 5 gem setter, but I never do anything with gems).  I get my militia down there, and the spider is dead within 5 seconds or so.

Anyway, the aftermath is that someone goes insane, one dwarf suffocates a few steps from the hospital, and my legendary weaponsmith who singlehandedly forged every weapon my fortress possesses, decides to go on a tantrum, although luckily this doesn't cause any problems (it seems).

Also, I get my first fell mood.  The dwarf that he grabs is some useless planter with almost no skills whatsoever, so that's fine.  I'm hoping I get something reasonably nice, although my hopes aren't particularly high. He ends up making this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hooray.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 02:14:11 pm by heuristicus »

KitsuneStudios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: June 26, 2010, 02:21:17 pm »

The engineer/architect/administrator of my starting team was injured in the spring of the first year in a mining accident removing hillside ramps. He looks to be winded and with only minor injuries so I leave him to recuperate.

When the caravan arrives and he's not showing up to the depot, I start to worry. So I check on him. He looks healthy! Get out of bed you... oh...  wait, I can scroll down the injuries. Mangled spine. Lovely.

Of course, since I was waiting for him to get back up, I hadn't converted the others to do his jobs, like setting up the irrigation pumps for the farms. Not a good winter.

The Tyrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Si non confectus, non reficiat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: June 26, 2010, 06:31:25 pm »

wooden training axes cut trees.
No forge required.

Well that just boggles the mind  :o

Wish I'd known that before, would have saved some time from the time's I've done this *facepalm*

Now I know to dismantle the cart and make some wooden wood choppers!  :P
Stove has created The Consequences of Biting, a legendary MSPaint engraving. It is studded with pixels, encrusted with pixels, and menaces with spikes of pixels and hanging rings of pixels. On the item is an image of SOME SERIOUS SHIT.

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: June 26, 2010, 06:59:37 pm »

Open succession save:
Master glassworker carring a baby walking past my sparring forces dodges a dodging swordsdwarf and falls 29 levels. I don't like it when I aren't told about these stupidly deep chasms my friends keep digging.

DerUbermensch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: June 26, 2010, 08:44:17 pm »

I recently built a moat around my newest fortress, when I noticed something:

The land covering below my bridge was solid, making it so easy for invaders to slaughter my dwarven resources. So I sent a miner to clear it out, and with the pressure of a caravan, it collapsed under itself. carrying my Dwarf and the Elf Caravan into the enraged river I used to feed my moat. The Miner shall be missed in his time, but for now, I need to arm the Ballista.

In short, I mined out the space under my bridge but forgot to finish the top part. So when I sent a Miner to fix it, a Elf Caravan rushed by and collapsed the tunnel below it, effectively ruining my defense.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 08:46:40 pm by DerUbermensch »

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: June 26, 2010, 08:49:13 pm »

I got an embark site with a 3-z waterfall. I was so excited that I dug an entrance that went down, and built a bridge spanning the waterfall. Then I realized that there wasn't enough room on the other side of the waterfall to build much of anything. Oops. Next embark site...

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: June 26, 2010, 10:44:30 pm »

Finding out after 4 million created wealth (without adamantine) and a heck of a lot of other stuff, that the reason I wasn't getting a Baron was no roads.

Oops.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: June 28, 2010, 08:13:49 am »

Got bored with a fortress so decided to kill it with lava from the volcano.  Badly miscalulated size of required tunnel, so magma creeps into the fortress incredibly slowly.  It took about 5 game years for every dwarf to die, with some horrific moments along the way.

Such as the mother carrying her baby under a staircase where gobbets of magma were falling down.  One blob burned the bottom half of the babe clean off, causing her to go berserk.  And she was my embark woodcutter......

I have a feeling a lot of very disturbing art will be turning up in the next fort.  :o
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

godlyhalo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: June 28, 2010, 04:17:30 pm »

Earlier today I was building a fortress in an underground cavern system about 50-z levels down. It had a magma pool so I used that to set up some natural defenses to keep the constant invasions of cave creatures at bay. Although my fighters kept getting injured, and I didn't have a water source. I had a frozen river that I thought would melt in the summer, but it wouldn't melt so I had to find alternative means of getting water. I had found an underground cavern systems about 20-z levels above my base which contained a huge supply of water. So I figured I would use that to get a constant supply of water. I started digging out a reservoir but I forgot to add a critical door. When I dug the final piece out into the cavern water supply, the small shaft I was in instantly filled up with 7/7 water, luckily my miner was able to make his way the 5 or so space to climb up stairs. Then I noticed purple text on the bottom of the screen, and I went to check it out. What I saw was halarious, literally within about 10 seconds my ENTIRE main base area was filled with 7/7 water, and my entire cavern was flooding quickly. Within about 1 min 90% of my population had drowned, except for a miner or two, the king who sat in his throne room till his doom (Funny how he starts looking for small creatures for food in a 5x5 room), and a smelter that somehow managed to survive for 10 min while submerged in 7/7 water while he was at a magma furnace.

I never thought you could flood your entire base in less than 10 seconds.....guess I was wrong.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: June 28, 2010, 04:43:21 pm »

the very last item this moody dwarf needs is shells...

I'm in a sealed fort, underwater. interestingly this makes getting shells harder...

First death in this fortress. Generational's can be so nerve wracking
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 04:57:04 pm by lanceleoghauni »
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: June 29, 2010, 06:25:41 am »

You know, with the simple addition of a little pond somewhere inside the underwater sealed fort, you'll get a nice self-sustaining population of turtles...
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 729