Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130792 times)

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2505 on: September 08, 2010, 05:49:20 am »

I think it's always been the same for me.

"Ten levels should be enough."

It never is, and I never learn.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: September 08, 2010, 05:53:08 am »

The mason fell asleep while the magma was coming his way.
In TWO DIFFERENT FORTS.
 >:(
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: September 08, 2010, 05:54:17 am »

In TWO DIFFERENT FORTS.

Magma is very soothing. I often fall asleep next to magma. It's like the rainforest, or the ocean. :P
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: September 08, 2010, 05:56:49 am »

In TWO DIFFERENT FORTS.

Magma is very soothing. I often fall asleep next to magma. It's like the rainforest, or the ocean. :P
His upper lip fat also burned off.
Proud of my heritage.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: September 08, 2010, 12:46:34 pm »

In TWO DIFFERENT FORTS.

Wait a minute, how do you fall asleep in front of an approaching wave of magma and only burn your upper lip? Dude must have a hell of an overbite.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: September 08, 2010, 02:53:07 pm »

In TWO DIFFERENT FORTS.

Wait a minute, how do you fall asleep in front of an approaching wave of magma and only burn your upper lip? Dude must have a hell of an overbite.
I also had a Jesus mouse, who was alive in 2/7 magma.
Proud of my heritage.

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: September 08, 2010, 05:16:56 pm »

I have had a history of naming one of my first miners Neil Patrick Harris. They always die incredibly early on xD. This last one fell into an empty cistern... that he wasn't even mining from xD

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: September 08, 2010, 06:28:35 pm »

I have had a history of naming one of my first miners Neil Patrick Harris. They always die incredibly early on xD. This last one fell into an empty cistern... that he wasn't even mining from xD

Name him Dr. Horrible, and see how that goes. Maybe he'll build a magma powered death ray?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: September 08, 2010, 11:03:32 pm »

Losing 7 Master Hammer Dwarves in full steel armour with masterful steel warhammers to 4 goblins with copper maces and lashes because they only use the crossbows I gave them for training.

Shagomir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: September 09, 2010, 12:21:24 am »

I had a facepalm moment today. I forgot to create a proper dining room for my dwarves, and instead got cooking on a megaproject before making sure to have everything set up properly. Now my dwarves are tantruming because I decided to expand my military and recruited 30 recent migrants. Then I ran out of booze somehow, despite having a fully functioning, super efficient farm burrow designed only to produce 1000s of booze per year. One of the recruits went crazy, broke some stuff, got himself killed, and set one of my masons to tantruming, and well you know how that goes. I'm in the middle of it now, and I'm only down 5 dwarves so far...

I am digging out a 30x40 2 z-level columned marble dining hall with fully engraved walls, to be lined in gold and platinum masterwork statues, but I don't think it's going to be finished in time to prevent it from my dwarves from emoing themselves to death.

It was a sweet embark, too. Sand, limestone, and marble, all in a plateau with a 12 z-level waterfall. Next time I want to megaproject, I'm sticking with a 50 dwarf maximum population and invasions off.
Take a look at my fancy North America Worldgen!

Duriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: September 09, 2010, 08:20:57 am »

So, a Forgotten Beast arrived to my fortress. It was a tortoise with a deadly dust attack. I thought that the military could slay the beast, and they did.

But I had underestimated the power of deadly dust.

Everyone in the vicinty of the beast started rotting alive, and clouds of miasma filled the barracks. Then the hospital as soldiers moved to rest. I thought I'd lose them to the disease, but they stayed alive after some medical treatment.

End result: 6 blind dwarves, a dead dog and lots of forgotten beast meat.
An invisible lurker.

I have a YouTube channel!

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: September 09, 2010, 08:21:45 am »

Digging out a pump stack from the magma sea to my factory layers.  Had to pass through cavern-2 on the way up, thanks to me not planning the stockpiles' position around this eventuality.  Figured it'd not be a big deal, since there were no Forgotten Beasts around and I'd explored most of cavern-2 with catanaut exploration crews.  So guess what happens when I'm installing the *last* wall before the whole thing's safe again... and guess exactly when the mason crew in charge of this all suddenly turn out to be on break/sleeping/drinking/partying...

Now down to 3 dwarfs of working age, and about 15 children.  And no immigrants; I'm playing a dead civ.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: September 09, 2010, 09:29:35 am »

Digging out a pump stack from the magma sea to my factory layers.  Had to pass through cavern-2 on the way up, thanks to me not planning the stockpiles' position around this eventuality.  Figured it'd not be a big deal, since there were no Forgotten Beasts around and I'd explored most of cavern-2 with catanaut exploration crews.  So guess what happens when I'm installing the *last* wall before the whole thing's safe again... and guess exactly when the mason crew in charge of this all suddenly turn out to be on break/sleeping/drinking/partying...

Now down to 3 dwarfs of working age, and about 15 children.  And no immigrants; I'm playing a dead civ.
I think that is a new kind of record regarding the lazy-dwarf-killed-my-whole-fort thing

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: September 09, 2010, 05:18:26 pm »

Rhesus Macaque ninja'd his way through my cage traps, bit a weaponsmith in the face, and then escaped off the map with a legendary, artifact platinum shield. Best part: the thing had engravings of dwarves striking down macaques on it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 05:40:21 pm by mrtspence »

KaunMoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: September 09, 2010, 06:08:51 pm »

Being a new player I don't quite understand how to build pumpstacks properly, so instead of bothering to do that I decided I'd just tap the river and make a waterfall out of that, and instead of having a pool for the water to gather in and be pumped around I decided to dig into the river again... 3 levels down.

My dwarfs got a crash course in swimming and they all failed. Except for the mayor, he was hosting a party upstairs in his room all alone.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 729