Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126473 times)

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2700 on: October 02, 2010, 02:02:15 pm »

Goddammit. Was digging out a reservoir behind my walls to feed my pressure washer (that will wash enemies down 60 z levels onto a steel spike--the water drains into my first cavern). Designated the entire job to be done at once. 3 miners have broken legs, and another has died (Neil Patrick Harris III). WHY WON'T THEY DIG OUT THE TOP LAYERS FIRST!!!!

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: October 02, 2010, 06:41:25 pm »

It takes me a long time to scroll through lists -- the stocks list, the units list, etc. -- because my laptop doesn't have page up and page down keys. So I'm always hate having to scroll through the lists, because I can only use the arrow keys and it is soooo slow.

I've owned my laptop for over four years. Minutes ago, I noticed for the first time that the arrow keys say "page ^", "page v", "< home", and "end >". I can press fn + up/down to do page up or page down. It took me four years to notice this. Granted, I didn't have much need for page up or page down until I started playing Dwarf Fortress a few months ago, but still -- four years!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 10:17:08 pm by DuckThatQuacks »

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: October 02, 2010, 11:06:38 pm »

It takes me a long time to scroll through lists -- the stocks list, the units list, etc. -- because my laptop doesn't have page up and page down keys. So I'm always hate having to scroll through the lists, because I can only use the arrow keys and it is soooo slow.

I've owned my laptop for over four years. Minutes ago, I noticed for the first time that the arrow keys say "page ^", "page v", "< home", and "end >". I can press fn + up/down to do page up or page down. It took me four years to notice this. Granted, I didn't have much need for page up or page down until I started playing Dwarf Fortress a few months ago, but still -- four years!

Umm... I'm pretty sure you can also reassign the scrolling to other keys than PgUp & PgDn from the keybindings menu in DF...

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: October 02, 2010, 11:11:36 pm »

Wondered why Urist McUselessPeasant was so happy, and was leading in kids produced.  Turns out I gave his tiny hovel my first artifact - a 'shell opal door', worth 1/2 the total value of the fort.

What's be bet if I remove it, he will commit suicide or something...

Be better if this was the first time I've done it - gave a farmer a dog bone bed (artifact) - 8 kids later....

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: October 02, 2010, 11:12:22 pm »

Wow, his wife must've really liked that bed.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: October 02, 2010, 11:37:32 pm »

So, wait, you're saying valuable artifacts make married dwarves more 'productive'?

Congrats.  You've discovered Dwarven Prozac and kicked off the Dwarven Selective Breeding Program.
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: October 02, 2010, 11:56:16 pm »

Mayor: I grant this newlywed couple a masterwork table as a wedding gift.

Couple: Oh, thank you, ser, we appreci...

Mayor: And in return, the Fortress expects no less than a dozen new workers from this couple. Off you go, for the good of the Mountainhomes.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: October 03, 2010, 01:01:05 am »

Eh, being kinda nooby and fresh to DF, my facepalm moment is kinda tame I believe.

It was winter and some dwarves had gotten the bad habit of using the iced over river as a shortcut while carrying cut wood.  Then the ice poofed and I'm short two more dwarves.  Ug, it wouldn't be so bad if hadn't immigrants stopped showing up.  Why?  I have a stable economy [not for long if some dwarves don't decide to quit their "break" and get back to work] and a bunch of wealth and more booze then the mountainhomes themselves of a dozen different varieties.

All the idiots probably decided to go to Boatmurdered instead....
Cage traps are my magma.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: October 03, 2010, 03:55:22 am »

My immovable fortress was almost ready. Strong fortress on ground level, lots of traps, dug deep and still lived.

I finished channeling my moat and went back to mining (as my magma forges had to be expanded) a minute later i came back to ground -1 level to order more Still's constructed and.. Yes.. The moat..  :P

I keep owning myself with channel command

Not to mention dwarves walling themselves on the wrong side of hell...  ::)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 04:09:12 am by Stworca »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: October 03, 2010, 04:45:08 am »

Given the typical dwarven fort, wouldn't YOU prefer hell?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: October 03, 2010, 04:47:49 am »

A fair point!  :D
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

hvlkn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: October 03, 2010, 04:48:29 am »

definitely

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: October 03, 2010, 05:29:32 pm »

I just had a tremendous one that made me actually facepalm. I got a message saying that an Ettin had come. I immediately mobilized my military to deal with the new threat, giving them a kill order to stop the Ettin. And then... they went to the statue garden. And sat there... and that's not even the facepalm. I proceed to panic, only to then realize with a mix of relief and feelings of stupidity that apparently Ettins are vulnerable to cage traps. I now have a caged Ettin.
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: October 03, 2010, 08:15:07 pm »

Embarked on a map that is partially aquifer, and digging out the first rooms I discovered damp stone.  Since it is actual stone and not soil I'm thinking the aquifer itself is in the soil layer above and the indicators are just there because it's adjacent to water, not actually part of the aquifer.

I dig a little test channel into the soil above and sure enough, it fills up with water.  Which I falsely believed confirmed my hypothesis.  And then I carried on with the workshop room digging as normal.

I was wrong.

Fortunately I was paranoid and kept a close eye on the mining, spotted the water immediately, and evacuated all floors at and below that level so no one died from the mistake.  But that big oddly shaped half-fortress full of water directly under the main entrance is going to be pretty hard to explain to the mountainhome.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: October 04, 2010, 08:12:41 am »

I just had a tremendous one that made me actually facepalm. I got a message saying that an Ettin had come. I immediately mobilized my military to deal with the new threat, giving them a kill order to stop the Ettin. And then... they went to the statue garden. And sat there... and that's not even the facepalm. I proceed to panic, only to then realize with a mix of relief and feelings of stupidity that apparently Ettins are vulnerable to cage traps. I now have a caged Ettin.

I had a similar instance with a wombat clown in hell, it's the only variety that has poisonous blood, so I naturally freak out when they start pathing my way.

She went from the northmost tile to the southmost to scratch an elven trade liason in half and then exited the map on the north side. I'm not really sure if I should honor her or what.
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 729