Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2131025 times)

Urist McCheese

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2850 on: October 19, 2010, 06:57:31 am »

Well i just had this cancellation message:

Urist McNurse cancels give food: eating

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: October 19, 2010, 07:47:44 am »

I should bring one of the patients this cheese roast. Cheese is awesome, I bet he'd like it. I love cheese! OMNOMNOMNOM...oops.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: October 19, 2010, 11:06:32 am »

I just tried to use a wooden pump stack to pump magma.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: October 19, 2010, 12:56:40 pm »

Congratulations. I bet it took very long to build the pump stack and setup all the water wheels, axles, gear assemblies and such.  :D
One DFologic question: How high did the magma go?

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: October 19, 2010, 01:31:13 pm »

Congratulations. I bet it took very long to build the pump stack and setup all the water wheels, axles, gear assemblies and such.  :D
One DFologic question: How high did the magma go?

It got up 15 z-levels.  But that was as high as the pump stack went, though, so...
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

madmaxxam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: October 19, 2010, 01:39:37 pm »

Mine:  When I finally found out what the CLT in all of my workshops meant, and the ramifications of it. 
I thought I had enough stockpile space and haulers... really.

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: October 19, 2010, 04:44:05 pm »

Just channeled my defensive non-flying-pathing-blocker (think moat but with no water) into my underground treefarm. Commencing massive-scale wall-off.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: October 19, 2010, 06:43:06 pm »

It was just a little farm. The first one was'nt big enought for all the population. I was just supposed to open that damn floodgate. Urist Mcyouronlyjobistopullthelever pulled the lever. Every thing good. Then, where there is enought water, i call for my lever puller to pull the lever.
Sleeping. The level of the farm (AND the lever) is already flooded.

On 21 levels of fortress, 17 are flooded. A hero mason blocked the path to the lowest level with a wall, but sealed himself in the water and died. On 200 dwarfs, 48 are still alive. 21 are at the surface, trying to survive alone (no miners or picks, impossible to reach food or important ressources). I think they could search some food, do some workshops and build picks... Yea. They can survive.
At the four last levels, i have 16 others dwarves. Masons, metalsmiths... People that were near mining zones when it all begun. They have no stockpile, no way to find ressources, and the miners died after saving a part of the population (i'll come to that) and they bringed the picks with them.
The 11 others are at level 15. My miners were diging a channel to slow down the water, and because of these miners i got a chance to reach the doors and build one in front of the last food stockpile.
The plan is to build a pick at the surface, did down to the food stockpile and then go get the survivors of the low levels.

If that dumb dwarf did’nt went asleep while i got a phone… Hell…
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 06:45:03 pm by Shootandrun »

DumbfoundedElf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: October 19, 2010, 09:43:35 pm »

My militia commander decided to go into a fey move near the ending of my big stone hauling job which took the whole population to finish.  I went "oh crap", and made a group of recruits to wait outside the meeting area(where the commander was).  I waited awhile and decided to disband the group and just wait for him to go crazy.  I finish the huge hauling job, and most of my dwarves went into the meeting area.  Then the commander went insane.  He chased everyone so I decided to try and kill him with my squad of four.  One idiot decided to go as fast as he could, ending up being trampled by the commander as she took her clothes off at the same time.  All the weapons I had were training spears, so all I could do is poke her a bunch.  she killed ALL four of them, so I decided to swarm her. that ended p injuring one to the point where he couldn't walk but she was dead.

What made me facepalm was a couple of things: my meeting area was right next to the highest traffic area in the fort, I didn't have a hospital so I had to make a makeshift one, and the fat that soon after the injured got to the hospital, my only water supply froze, so all one of them died.

Raufgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: October 19, 2010, 10:04:46 pm »

My militia commander decided to go into a fey move near the ending of my big stone hauling job which took the whole population to finish.  I went "oh crap", and made a group of recruits to wait outside the meeting area(where the commander was).  I waited awhile and decided to disband the group and just wait for him to go crazy.  I finish the huge hauling job, and most of my dwarves went into the meeting area.  Then the commander went insane.  He chased everyone so I decided to try and kill him with my squad of four.  One idiot decided to go as fast as he could, ending up being trampled by the commander as she took her clothes off at the same time.  All the weapons I had were training spears, so all I could do is poke her a bunch.  she killed ALL four of them, so I decided to swarm her. that ended p injuring one to the point where he couldn't walk but she was dead.

What made me facepalm was a couple of things: my meeting area was right next to the highest traffic area in the fort, I didn't have a hospital so I had to make a makeshift one, and the fat that soon after the injured got to the hospital, my only water supply froze, so all one of them died.

Hmmm, didn't have the right workshop built? If not why do you wait for him to go insane? I usually have most of the workshops built right from the start. Just assign your guys with the right jobs to build the workshops and take them off afterwards (This is where Dwarf Therapist shines)

Unless of course, you're like me and:

1) Embarked next to a volcano
2) Just started the building your magma furnaces and some magma channels for said furnaces
3) Urist IDecidedIAmFey wants a magma-powered forge (the game doesn't tell you he needs one, you usually only find out when you have built every non-magma workshop under the sun and he's still standing there. OR WORSE, he only wants the one you've built but have not turned on the magma yet EVEN IF YOU'VE ANOTHER WORKING MAGMA FORGE STANDING BY FOR HIM)
4) You don't have magma-safe mechanisms/floodgates.

....I sometimes think Armok has a weird sense of humour....

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: October 19, 2010, 10:07:28 pm »

Basalt is a cheap source of magma proof mechanisms and floodgates.  I usually embark with 20 uncut stones (which is fairly cheap for a really big benefit of being able to have Fun from the start, every time).

Raufgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: October 19, 2010, 10:24:36 pm »

Basalt is a cheap source of magma proof mechanisms and floodgates.  I usually embark with 20 uncut stones (which is fairly cheap for a really big benefit of being able to have Fun from the start, every time).

I usually start with 31 of each drink, 1 each of every 2 EP meat for a total of 41 meats, enough ore/material for 3 full sets of Bismuth Bronze armor + weapons (with the requisite fire-safe stones for the smelter/forge) and some the usual seeds and stuff. No picks/axes (2 wood for the initial carpenter + training axe). This allows me to fully upgrade my Dorf ForceTM.

Will see if adding magma-safe stones will change the setup much, thanks~

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: October 19, 2010, 10:29:06 pm »

Accidentally built an unsupported wall whilst making a Dwarven Landmine of epic proportions. A lumberjack was terribly wounded and her infant obliterated by the blast.

EDIT: Just lost another 3 for the same reason--that will teach me to mass-designate.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 11:02:59 pm by mrtspence »

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: October 19, 2010, 11:50:20 pm »

I usually start with 31 of each drink, 1 each of every 2 EP meat for a total of 41 meats, enough ore/material for 3 full sets of Bismuth Bronze armor + weapons (with the requisite fire-safe stones for the smelter/forge) and some the usual seeds and stuff. No picks/axes (2 wood for the initial carpenter + training axe). This allows me to fully upgrade my Dorf ForceTM.

Will see if adding magma-safe stones will change the setup much, thanks~

Obviously, YMMV, it greatly depends on where you embark -- don't bother bringing magma proof stones to an embark with no volcano. 

granzteel

• Bay Watcher
  • Humans think better than.. err, maybe dwarves do.
    • View Profile
    • Granzland!
« Reply #2864 on: October 20, 2010, 03:19:39 am »

I embarked on a land with temperature next to freezing: Cold.
So, my idea is to make ice structures since I guessed it will unlikely to condense in this kind of place.

my dwarves started mining the large central swamp, putting a floodgate connected to a lever at exit point. And yes, I've thought of making it alot bigger to make it a defensive freezing pit.

Then it rains... fills the pit... then... my dwarves... encased in ice..

maybe its still alive. Just.. frozen..  :'(

*facepalm*
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 729