Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130889 times)

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3705 on: January 24, 2011, 12:04:33 pm »

I had thought that buildings on top of ice did not collapse when it melted?

Cannot speak for buildings, nor do I know if things have changed since this happened (back in 40d), and honestly I don't even recall if my wagon was definitely 'destroyed', though I think it was, when it fell.. But I can assure you that at some point in this games development (two points actually) if your wagon was parked on a frozen lake when it unfroze it and everything on it would sink to the bottom, including any unlucky dwarves.

-MB

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: January 24, 2011, 12:36:36 pm »

Fire imp killed workers of my magma industry. Including my armor/weapon smith.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: January 24, 2011, 10:27:50 pm »

Cave-in based sky defense system + fort rooms directly below the surface = FUN.

Whoops. There goes half the fort. At least we killed those buzzards!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: January 25, 2011, 11:45:13 am »

Cave-in based sky defense system + fort rooms directly below the surface = FUN.

Whoops. There goes half the fort. At least we killed those buzzards!

Sigged!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: January 25, 2011, 01:16:30 pm »

discovering the d->b menu.

oh god, the finger-destroying ages spent with the k tool manually dumping individual stones

Well, i just learned something new from reading just the first couple posts in this thread. Thank you.

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: January 25, 2011, 04:03:13 pm »

My fort's very first snatcher. Is a dumbass. Was spotted by my militia commander who was about to go training. :D
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

UristMcMoron

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: January 25, 2011, 04:27:25 pm »

Just spent the better part of a week ramping up steel production and carefully digging out cotton candy for my first HFS assault.  Spent hours building a nice long maze of levered masterwork steel spike traps. 

Promote an expendable miner to breach the pretty tube, two squads of legendaries at the ready behind the traps.

Nothing. 

I seem to have generated a map without the extra Fun.  I spent two years getting working booze production on a tundra map with exactly one underground murky pool and no trees above the third cavern for that?  Doh.

Soapalope

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Soaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: January 25, 2011, 04:44:15 pm »

My best axelord, with skilled armour use and shield use, has just grown attached to...

A cedarwood training axe.

This is not a good day.
FB: I was thinking Facebook. Oh well, I guess killing a Forgotten Beast is cool too.
Note to self: Devise methods of dropping Liaisons down pits during meetings. Yell, "THIS IS SPAARRTAAAAA..." at my monitor.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: January 25, 2011, 04:49:06 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
look for another tube. you breached the wrong one  ;)
ans spoiler that please.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: January 25, 2011, 05:11:34 pm »

You still get the screaming and the spawning. Exposing the hollow also exposes the area beneath it.

UristMcMoron, have you tried running dfprospector on the site?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: January 26, 2011, 08:42:36 am »

You still get the screaming and the spawning. Exposing the hollow also exposes the area beneath it.

UristMcMoron, have you tried running dfprospector on the site?
no that's not true. yes it exposes the area beneath it, but not all tubes are spawned under. try dumping cats in there, or better yet make a staircase down. let them explore...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

indigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: January 26, 2011, 01:51:35 pm »

Trading with elves, and I somehow amassed an enormous supply of obsidian which, after covering my nobles' rooms with, I made into swords and tried to sell about a million of them to the elves. "Little did he know" obsidian swords are the ONLY non-wood weapon made using wood. At least they haven't declared war on me... yet. They did leave rather huffily, though.

Also, my current fortress area thinks good things are better in twos. Whenever I get a goblin ambush, I get another goblin ambush literally seconds later, to the point I was convinced this was a feature until I learned it wasn't. Okay, no big deal, just set lots of cage traps and put them in the stripper cages.

But when the same principle applies to forgotten beasts who exhale noxious fumes? Fun ensues. And the facepalm factor comes into play after I had walled off so I could be invincible temporarily hold them at bay until I was ready and then immediately dug a tunnel out for diverting the cavern lake into my underground shroom farm, allowing them to just waltz in through the water main. They both struck probably within five minutes of each other. Fortunately, my mighty dwarf militia killed them off with only about 8 deaths total.

Oh, and checking the justice screen and seeing the people being beaten and caged were being punished for vandalism or fist fights, and my Captain of the Guard had a massive jail time racked up for 5 or 6 murders (I'm sure it had nothing to do with beating people with an obsidian sword). Nobility at it's best.

Soapalope

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Soaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: January 26, 2011, 04:06:48 pm »

Oh look, fifteen immigrants at once!

-checks stats-

STRAND EXTRACTOR!?!?!?!?!
CLOTHIER?!?!?!?!?!
******* HIGH MASTER ******* TRAPPER?!?!?!?!?!

Oh, novice small animal dissector.

Wait.

NOVICE SMALL ANIMAL DISSECTOR?!?!?!?!?!?!?
FB: I was thinking Facebook. Oh well, I guess killing a Forgotten Beast is cool too.
Note to self: Devise methods of dropping Liaisons down pits during meetings. Yell, "THIS IS SPAARRTAAAAA..." at my monitor.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: January 26, 2011, 04:37:54 pm »

I had one high master milk, proficient dyer and talented cheese maker. As one dwarf.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: January 26, 2011, 08:05:11 pm »

no that's not true. yes it exposes the area beneath it, but not all tubes are spawned under.
I've breached one tube and had them spawn in sight somewhere else. They're probably there, even if you can't see them.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 729