Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126699 times)

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4005 on: March 09, 2011, 10:31:36 am »

My Engraver dodging from Crundle into wall.

She gently exploded after taking all power of impact on every single part of her body.

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: March 09, 2011, 11:19:27 am »

....Might there have been a drop BETWEEN THE WALL AND THE DWARF? Hm?

On the facepalm side though, my "Let's build a noble-disposer over the waterfall. Ah, let's test it. Oh dear Armok, get the kids off of the *splat*!" Tantrum spiral wasn't too intelligent either...
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: March 09, 2011, 02:20:15 pm »

....Might there have been a drop BETWEEN THE WALL AND THE DWARF? Hm?

On the facepalm side though, my "Let's build a noble-disposer over the waterfall. Ah, let's test it. Oh dear Armok, get the kids off of the *splat*!" Tantrum spiral wasn't too intelligent either...
I swear those little bastards can sense impending doom an have an instinct to run right at it.

Then again, my fortress seems to worship the god of suicide.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: March 09, 2011, 02:55:12 pm »

Try giving your captain of the guard a training weapon.

Thanks for the advice. There were a whole bunch of guys with disorderly conduct charges, and the new captain decided they should take their beating before he swapt his bronze axe for the wooden one.

They're all dead now.
i like to keep captains in limbo when that happens - assign one and lock him in his room for a bit (don't forget about him!) while the usual trades weapons. then assign back and free old one.

now: try savescuming?

I don't savescum. Especially when whatever went wrong is funny.
neither do i. unless of course my brother comes on and wrecks the shit out of my fort >:(
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: March 09, 2011, 03:42:08 pm »

She gently exploded after taking all power of impact on every single part of her body.

This is probably the greatest thing I have ever heard of happening in this game.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: March 09, 2011, 04:39:02 pm »

You can make a wood furnace out of ice! But if its inside, it'll melt, because its too warm.  ???

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: March 09, 2011, 04:45:22 pm »

If you caught it, what will you do with it?

Going to build a labyrinth in the bottom of my fort to dump annoying migrants. using a system of flood gates and levers hopefully i can keep him in. If goblins appear then ill use them but i have yet to see any goblins or humans on this map
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: March 09, 2011, 05:41:21 pm »

I ROFL'd.
For real.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: March 09, 2011, 08:41:50 pm »

I recently found out that the upright cotton candy stick hidden in certain maps shows up on the screen for linking upright spears to levers...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: March 09, 2011, 11:00:09 pm »

I recently found out that the upright cotton candy stick hidden in certain maps shows up on the screen for linking upright spears to levers...
Stop that. No more clown references.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: March 10, 2011, 12:58:26 am »

Stop that. No more clown references.

Bit late for that, old chap. clownite has entered the DF lexicon, and it has stuck
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: March 10, 2011, 05:25:31 am »

Phoenixuk, it is stories like yours that make me think that Dwarf Fortress is actually triple-distilled cruelty absorbed transdermally through our fingertips whenever we play. It simultaneously inspires and terrifies me. I feel very sorry for any goblinoid alien race that attempts to attack Earth, knowing that there may be DF players in strategic positions worldwide.
sigged!  8)
... or maybe not(damn 500 letter space.)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 05:28:15 am by antymattar »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: March 10, 2011, 05:30:32 am »

Phoenixuk, it is stories like yours that make me think that Dwarf Fortress is actually triple-distilled cruelty absorbed transdermally through our fingertips whenever we play. It simultaneously inspires and terrifies me. I feel very sorry for any goblinoid alien race that attempts to attack Earth, knowing that there may be DF players in strategic positions worldwide.
sigged!  8)
... or maybe not(damn 500 letter space.)

Erase date and link code from quote, saves around 50 letters.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: March 10, 2011, 07:14:10 am »

Marksdwarves. These goddamn assholes. They have exactly two modes:
A) "My quiver is empty, guess I'll just fuck around the front lines for a week anyway"
B) "Hmm, a crucial high priority military operation and my post is twenty yards away. Oh whoops, I'm missing like two bolts, better go back to the armory, it's only a mile walk"
-->
"Ahaha, whoops. I took only one arrow, I was missing two! Good thing I only walked half way to my post!"

Point A just killed nearly half my archers. I had neatly positioned them at the end of a hallway after an FB with poisonous vapors had camped behind a door on the other side of it. You know, so that they could fire a volley of death before it got close. Instead the morons had no ammunition (which I have in the hundreds, none assigned to hunters or other squads) and ran right at it. Guess how that worked out?
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Valguris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: March 10, 2011, 10:50:07 am »

Marksdwarves. These goddamn assholes. They have exactly two modes:
A) "My quiver is empty, guess I'll just fuck around the front lines for a week anyway"
B) "Hmm, a crucial high priority military operation and my post is twenty yards away. Oh whoops, I'm missing like two bolts, better go back to the armory, it's only a mile walk"
-->
"Ahaha, whoops. I took only one arrow, I was missing two! Good thing I only walked half way to my post!"

Point A just killed nearly half my archers. I had neatly positioned them at the end of a hallway after an FB with poisonous vapors had camped behind a door on the other side of it. You know, so that they could fire a volley of death before it got close. Instead the morons had no ammunition (which I have in the hundreds, none assigned to hunters or other squads) and ran right at it. Guess how that worked out?

How many bolts have you assigned to that squad? Once i caught myself, that I left my squad of 10 marksdwarves with only 100 bolts assigned total (relic from times I had 1 marksdwarf). So some had ~20 bolts, and others ~1 bolt and were rushing to fight in melee.
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 729