Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130961 times)

Loof

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4080 on: March 22, 2011, 06:38:23 pm »

Just realized gobbos with croc mounts still can swim, and went straight down into the murky pool supplying the well in my meeting hall. My militia was on the other side of the fortress, dealing with the land-locked invaders. Much fun ensued.

This'll hopefully teach me to use floor bars.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #4081 on: March 22, 2011, 07:23:12 pm »

Accidently hitting the 'u' key...

Any other top-level commands that arn't listed?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: March 22, 2011, 08:12:47 pm »

but for some reason there is this single sock sitting there... can't build the trap with that sock the way... nope.
Dwarves will move owned objects in order to build things. As with any object on a building site, it must be unforbidden and able to be moved orthogonally.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Spyton

• Bay Watcher
  • Red Harvest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: March 23, 2011, 10:28:12 am »

specificaly choosing volcanoe for easy magma forge access, then realizing i didnt even check to see if there were any metals in the map, and not having found any.....
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: March 23, 2011, 10:31:32 am »

Spent some time digging a flush trap, using water to knock enemies into a colossus pit. Finally I dug up to the aquifer for the water supply...

... and went all the way to the surface without striking water. Turns out the 2Z thick aquifer that caused me so much trouble on embark only covers half the map!
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: March 23, 2011, 11:51:06 am »

Sent a squad to fight a forgotten beast, and in its wake follow half a dozen children that happily run into the spreading fire to die. At some point it's just not quaint anymore. I need a break.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: March 24, 2011, 03:56:20 am »

I have two FP's

1. Not realising until now (after playing DF for years) that I could build aboveground crops belowground so long as I channeled out above them. There goes all my frustration at not being able to place nice, regularly shaped gardens aboveground (because of rocks, boulders and trees)

2. My latest version magma pipe discovered and now is draining into the magma sea ~ 50 levels below.. I liked that magma on the surface and its slowly draining away!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 04:18:32 pm by gordy »

rangarkash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: March 24, 2011, 10:49:58 am »

Build a long narrow corridor of spike traps and forget to add a trigger.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: March 24, 2011, 12:39:43 pm »

2. My latest version magma pipe discovered and now is draining into the magma sea ~ 50 levels below.. I liked that magma on the service and its slowly draining away!

Does your map have large elevation changes?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: March 24, 2011, 04:23:20 pm »

You could say that. The majority is flat and wet but the volcano extends aboveground about 12 z. The mama was just under the surface when the map started and has been slowly draining away ever since. The volcano is kinda squareish so it might cross a biomedical 

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: March 24, 2011, 05:01:15 pm »

Everybody from my 7 is weak, clumsy and without willpower. And the most social of them likes adamantine.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: March 24, 2011, 05:54:43 pm »

You could say that. The majority is flat and wet but the volcano extends aboveground about 12 z. The mama was just under the surface when the map started and has been slowly draining away ever since. The volcano is kinda squareish so it might cross a biomedical

Actually, your magma sea is quite possibly draining off into some special features due to a glitch with map generation.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: March 24, 2011, 06:26:41 pm »

Is it normal to have a groom of a night creature as a king? I just got an artifact that told me one of my civ's kings was the groom of a shadow woman...
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: March 24, 2011, 09:56:23 pm »

Is it normal to have a groom of a night creature as a king? I just got an artifact that told me one of my civ's kings was the groom of a shadow woman...
This issue has been discussed previously, and if memory serves, it stems from the fact that after a creature is converted by a night creature, all historical references to them change to reference their new state.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: March 26, 2011, 12:35:22 am »

From what I've seen in Legends Mode, your civ should have "hired" a new king the year after that one became the shadow woman's husband.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 729