Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126623 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4260 on: April 13, 2011, 08:35:54 am »

Oh, bloody hell. Here I was, getting mad at my marksdwarves who seemingly refuse to pick up a crossbow and bolts, no matter what I do... And then I realise I'm yelling at dwarves with like, a few working arms between them. :/
I feel mean now...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: April 13, 2011, 09:00:25 am »

You don't need the statues, but i do think it'ds a nice addition since you can decorate all your statues with blood and rotate them out of the area as needed, nice work :P

yeah the statues are just for the nice work effect ... its just odd when you use the best statues in the fort .. civillians tend to walk around the beautyful statues ^^

phoenixuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: April 13, 2011, 09:04:10 am »

Urist McLazyass cancels task Admire Statue: Wooden Training spear Lodged in groin

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: April 13, 2011, 10:19:19 am »

Urist McLazyass cancels task Admire Statue: Wooden Training spear Lodged in groin
:P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Captain Mayhem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: April 13, 2011, 10:33:52 am »

First post. Here goes!

Spent such a long time yesterday setting up a proper danger room that could handle several squads at once. I believe it's 82 squares big, took hours to make all the training spears and link every single trap to a lever (kindof regret I didn't think of setting it to a repeater instead, but ohwell).

So when I finally have set it all up, dressed my 20 soldiers in full armor and all the other preparations, I pull the lever. Success! Everything worked, so I set it to repeat for a while, checked back with them a few times to look at their skyrocketing skills. All fine and dandy.

The next month, those alcoholized lemmings suddenly decided that it's bring-your-child-to-work-day. Four toddlers dead in 10 seconds flat.

great quota up that by assigning dogs and or warelefants (i used to have a fort with allmost 100 bred war elefants where 2/3rd died gruesomely in the dangerrooms :) btw you can save alotta place by making one room for each squad with a 1*1 area ..encapsulated with very nice statues and engraved walls/floor .. thats enough .. they can dodge etc even when sitting down :)

like that ..Behold great Art!!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I just tried that. It, uhm, got me some interesting results. Dwarves do kindof catapult around while trying to dodge the spears. Apparently, they're ninja enough to dodge through a locked door and on top of the statues :(

Sjotrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: April 13, 2011, 10:43:20 am »

Just got another fey mood. -.-

And once again, he picked up 1... ONE item and began constructing. This time i was lucky and got an amazing

LUCKY ME! -.-

On the plus side, i got a legendary metalcrafter. :D

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4266 on: April 13, 2011, 12:31:47 pm »

note to self:
MINERS ARE STUPID.
More then the rest of the dwarfs.
they get the degree in mining by smashing rocks with their head.
Never ever again leave a bunch of dwarfs unattended and with the purpose of digging a MOAT. NEVER. EVER.
only one survived the drowning.
and now, since they dug also too near a cliff, water is pouring down, and not even filling up all the moat. argh. and it's raining!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: April 13, 2011, 01:12:15 pm »

Oh, bloody hell. Here I was, getting mad at my marksdwarves who seemingly refuse to pick up a crossbow and bolts, no matter what I do... And then I realise I'm yelling at dwarves with like, a few working arms between them. :/
I feel mean like a DF Overlord now...

Fixed that for you.
Welcome to the land of cheerful psychopaths.
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: April 13, 2011, 01:32:21 pm »

First post. Here goes!

Spent such a long time yesterday setting up a proper danger room that could handle several squads at once. I believe it's 82 squares big, took hours to make all the training spears and link every single trap to a lever (kindof regret I didn't think of setting it to a repeater instead, but ohwell).

So when I finally have set it all up, dressed my 20 soldiers in full armor and all the other preparations, I pull the lever. Success! Everything worked, so I set it to repeat for a while, checked back with them a few times to look at their skyrocketing skills. All fine and dandy.

The next month, those alcoholized lemmings suddenly decided that it's bring-your-child-to-work-day. Four toddlers dead in 10 seconds flat.

great quota up that by assigning dogs and or warelefants (i used to have a fort with allmost 100 bred war elefants where 2/3rd died gruesomely in the dangerrooms :) btw you can save alotta place by making one room for each squad with a 1*1 area ..encapsulated with very nice statues and engraved walls/floor .. thats enough .. they can dodge etc even when sitting down :)

like that ..Behold great Art!!

I just tried that. It, uhm, got me some interesting results. Dwarves do kindof catapult around while trying to dodge the spears. Apparently, they're ninja enough to dodge through a locked door and on top of the statues :(
The trick is to keep the training area as small as possible.
Imagine a cross of 5 in diameter with armor stand sourrounded by a door each side and one spot for the spears, thats maximum to cover... supports 4 full squads. just block everything else around with natural walls and doors. :) i would graph it down but smartphoning atm :P

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: April 13, 2011, 11:08:51 pm »

My miners were chipping away the cliff-side of my oceanside fort, and I'd forgotten about the murky pool that the walls were built over. They dug it away and all five of my legendary miners were swept into the deep. :(

Sjotrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: April 14, 2011, 10:10:02 am »

Got my first goblin siege in just a minute ago. :D

I was making a strategy plan on how to survive 18 goblins and a giant toad by funneling them through the lots of cage traps, and unpaused.
A few moments went on, and my soldiers waited for the goblins. :O
Then, i saw them coming... from the DAMN WELLS!

Seems like i forgot to wall of my channels which led to my wells in the middle of my fort. -.-

/FACEPALM!

i killed all of them without casualties though. :D victory!

IcarusOne

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: April 14, 2011, 04:40:44 pm »

Mayor just forbid the export of... Wooden bins.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: April 14, 2011, 06:16:20 pm »

Well his future just got warmer...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

major_sephiroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: April 14, 2011, 06:17:31 pm »

Metal bins are worth more!
But seriously, magma that guy.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: April 14, 2011, 08:59:58 pm »

Or not. Wooden bins are easy to produce under most circumstances, and are useful things for him to mandate production of. Individually selecting items for trade just takes a bit longer, and hey, you can still export metal ones with their contents.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 729