Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130676 times)

Kaffo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4620 on: June 17, 2011, 03:43:35 pm »

When I was building a reactor at the bottom of a cavern which was indeed the only source of water on the map like our poor lad at the top of the page, built the reactor, worked great, after about 10 minutes started to wonder why no mining was being done, had a look about to find I'd forgotten to un-designate a section of the reactor to be dug out and all 10 of my miners had dived into the cave lake to try and dig it out, every one of them were standing on the single dry square of land where the pump was taking the water from and I had no way to get them out..... Crap

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4621 on: June 17, 2011, 05:39:05 pm »

Sending out soldiers to fight goblins (or any enemy, really)....armed with training weapons instead of their normal steel weapons.
Training weapons aren't necessary in .31. Keep them with steel.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: June 17, 2011, 06:25:44 pm »

Today I learned the reason my dwarves were not hauling bones to the refuse stockpile (and thus resulting in ratsplosions, and a lack of bones dooming my (fourth) bone economy based fortress), was due to outside refuse hauling being set to off. *facepalm*

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4623 on: June 17, 2011, 09:20:41 pm »

Sending out soldiers to fight goblins (or any enemy, really)....armed with training weapons instead of their normal steel weapons.
Training weapons aren't necessary in .31. Keep them with steel.

Goblin prisoners don't last as long in my training room when soldiers use steel.

:D

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4624 on: June 18, 2011, 12:54:14 pm »

Goblin prisoners don't last as long in my training room when soldiers use steel.
Oh yes, that. Dwarves armed with training weapons are scary. The one time I had a dwarf train on a prisoner, she battered her for 86 pages before punching her head in through her iron helm. I haven't done it since. :o

On the plus side, it's free XP so long as the attackers aren't going to be killing your soldiers in the next week or so.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4625 on: June 18, 2011, 02:23:05 pm »

How did you manage to leave the prisoner's helm on yet take away any weapons? My prisoners are all naked, which means they only last about 10 pages or so.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4626 on: June 18, 2011, 07:27:04 pm »

After you mass-dump their stuff, undump their armor from the stocks screen.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: June 18, 2011, 11:34:46 pm »

......thank you.

*Evil, evil grin*

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4628 on: June 19, 2011, 09:20:10 am »

Again.

*facepalm*

Sometimes I do that on purpose. My soldiers are so awesome that, against goblins and trolls armed with non-blunt weapons, they slaughter them even with training weapons.
They get more experience this way.
Naked dwarves remove the need to produce more clothing, which means more of your pig tails can be brewed into booze.
I think this is less a problem and more an expression of dwarven priorities.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: June 20, 2011, 07:19:02 pm »

Investigating Zone orders under the [ o ] menu.... and discovering that there's an option (I think) which prevents my dwarves from running outside and instead drink from the nice, safe well I've designated in my fort.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4630 on: June 21, 2011, 02:05:47 am »

Investigating Zone orders under the [ o ] menu.... and discovering that there's an option (I think) which prevents my dwarves from running outside and instead drink from the nice, safe well I've designated in my fort.
Yes indeed.
  • ->[z]->[d], drink from zones ONLY. Likewise, you can tell your fisherdwarves to fish only in zones.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #4631 on: June 22, 2011, 12:19:15 pm »

If this is an ongoing problem with your forts, you really need to brew more booze..
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4632 on: June 22, 2011, 03:02:02 pm »

A
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:43:58 am by Benedict Hardy »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: June 22, 2011, 03:55:10 pm »

If this is an ongoing problem with your forts, you really need to brew more booze..

Indeedy. I always make a 3x3 square of 6 breweries and 3 craftsdorf's workshops (Hooray rock pots!). Booze for the booze god!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: June 23, 2011, 09:13:18 am »

Whilst trying desperately to finish as much of my sucession turn in Crewtowns, I found time to check on one of my many hunters.

The moron is standing at the edge of the river, firing bolts at the fish swimming by. *Facepalm*
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 729