Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2131056 times)

Boost One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4995 on: September 09, 2011, 04:51:59 pm »

One of my dwarfs died of drowning after heroically sealing off a flooded cavern apartment block. A while later he comes back as a "Ghostly Plant". I sit there staring at him for a while, a) thinking thst if I could choose any ghostly form to come back as, I'd pick a badarse ghost train and not some ghostly plant, and b) wondering if I can farm him.

Took me a long time to figure out DF had cut off the "-ter" in "planter" due to lack of space.

AaronLS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: September 10, 2011, 03:00:11 am »

One of my dwarfs died of drowning after heroically sealing off a flooded cavern apartment block. A while later he comes back as a "Ghostly Plant". I sit there staring at him for a while, a) thinking thst if I could choose any ghostly form to come back as, I'd pick a badarse ghost train and not some ghostly plant, and b) wondering if I can farm him.

Took me a long time to figure out DF had cut off the "-ter" in "planter" due to lack of space.

LOL funny

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: September 10, 2011, 02:42:34 pm »

Just flooded my fortress. Got a nice waterworks set up, huge system of floodgates, etc. Several holding tanks. Finally the top holding stank starts filling instead of draining into the plumbing to fill it. I suddenly realize there's water coming down the access tunnel on level 2. Not good! I had a stairwell carved on that level that had been inadvertently dug out on the level below, making me forget about the hole. When the holding tank finally filled it started going up out the open stair. Between when I noticed and acted the water had cut off the lever and tunnel making stopping it impossible. It then flooded the dining room and would have pushed dwarves off my natural waterfall if I had not turned it off.

Going back to a prior save... That pissed me off.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Frosty_Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling DFer, Legendary Lazy, Proficient Sleeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: September 11, 2011, 02:52:07 am »

Within 12 seconds, 2 of my dwarves were dead, and a 3rd was running for his little bearded life. A friendly alligator had popped out of the river to say hello.
I facepalmed, then told the rest of my dwarves to haul the bloody limbs away from the wagon.

No more peasents vs random assorted undead in the tundra... the zombie moose... I dont care if people say undead = pushovers, they maulinated 6 starter dwarves, the last one was stuck in a sandy grave, the !@#$%^ers just roaming wherever they cared... and one next to a haunted lake... I think I had 5 attempted reclaims due to the wildlife [IIRC I was bringing axe dwarves on the 3rd attempt, and tested with the 2nd to see if food left in the wagon spoil...] before I gave up... on the bright side I found out gear left in the wagon on abandon seemed to stay in good shape on the wagon... if only the undead tigers hadn't shown up so fast [and mauled half the camp ever time] I might have has a shot at amassing a huge stockpile to start with, or just been able to start a fort period. As it stood, my 3rd attempt went spiral-tantrum and turned up the wagons... a full embark and then some of food spoiled...

honestly, that was a ragequit moment.  The friggin thief just walked on past and grabbed it.  There were like 100+ floors yet to be placed.
My computer struggled to load all the demons.  Then, next frame, I check the unit list....
The last.... 4+ pages.... all demons.

igmas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4999 on: September 12, 2011, 07:33:22 am »

I flooded my second forts second floor by assign channel on the wrong z-lvl when removing a hill close to a river. I noticed it pretty fast that one tile had changing water lvls from 6-7-6-7  constantly + waterfall effect . I didn't realize then that changing numbers in the river meant that something was flowing downwards I thought it was the current that did it. :D

In my newest fort were 3 diggers stopped moving after I the removed all but one ramp so they could get up but they refused to use it. Took me a while to figure out that the magma glass furnace was blocking the ramp :D

Undercroft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5000 on: September 12, 2011, 12:42:39 pm »

First time making a waterfall. With pressurised magma. Perhaps diggin the sleeping quarters and food stores in the lower levels wasn't such a good idea. I learnt the value of adding in a sewer system between each level though :P

KalLaba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5001 on: September 12, 2011, 02:15:49 pm »

Realised my miners were trapped when I saw one of the rooms wasn't being dug , quickly made a pick and set a random dwarf to dig them out (They were too busy looking for bugs to eat). got one out , he started running to the well\booze, while I was getting to the second I got the message Urist Mcminer has died of thirst , dammit I thought then I double checked and it was the other one who didn't make it to the well in time  and died running along one of the hallways :'(

Iren

• Bay Watcher
  • I BREW THE BEER I DRINK
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #5002 on: September 12, 2011, 10:47:34 pm »

I had this huge, wealthy fortress embarked in a zone with almost no enemies (besides the eventual forgotten beast or rampaging badger boars), I excavated to the lower levels to reach the magma and (praise the gods!) the adamantine tubes. Yet when I was excavating one, Fun is almost unleashed, which I managed to stop by constructing a floor tile over it.

So there was the richest fortress, about 220 in population, soon I was able to buy an entire caravan with a couple adamantine crafts, the Dwarven Queen arrived and set the fortress as the new Mountainhome. An army of 50 adamantine-clad infantry men trained day and night and were capable of easily killing several forgotten beasts, some of them getting processed at the butcher shops, while the engravers recorded the events on the fortress walls for future generations. A golden colossus was built on the outside for wonder of travellers and merchants, since gold veins were around and massive quantities of gold bars were smelted on the magma shops.

So...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:52:26 pm by Iren »
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5003 on: September 12, 2011, 11:41:02 pm »

"What's this damp stone nonsense? The lake is two Z-levels up! DIG, YOU IDIOT, THAT DAMP WALL IS CLEARLY INSIGNIFI-"

Urist McMiner has drowned!

All dwarves cancel every task: Unable to make path.

"...why is my fort instantly flooded? D:"

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: September 13, 2011, 09:26:26 am »

Goblin grinders worked great, but I need all the iron I can get (and they're only bringing two pieces on each goblin!), so I planned to flush a crossbow regiment into my death plumbing. Turns out you need more than one pipeline to flood a tunnel. They basically outran my "flood".

PATHETIC.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Fahgo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5005 on: September 13, 2011, 01:51:04 pm »

For once i Facepalm due to my Dorfs being too awesome.

I'm running an above ground fort. No magma so I'm entirely reliant on coal (luckily lots of Bitumous Coal available). This means I'm carefull about how much smelting I do. And I keep running out of bolts for my MarksDorfs.
A Siege arrives. Mostly melee but there's 1 squad of CrossbowGobs. "Excelent! Loadsa free bolts!" I think to myself. After some shenanigans with the Gobs chasing after the resident undead wildlife they eventually start marching towards my forts entrance, all rather helpfully formed up as Trolls>Melee>CrossbowGobs. I station my squads (mostly legendary) round the corner of my fort near the entrance out of sight. Trolls arrive and get dealt with. First Melee squad arrives and suffers the same fate. Second squad arrives closely followed by the third so things start to get messy. One wounded Gob makes a break for it followed by one of my AxeDorfs. Runs round the corner straight into the last 2 Melee squads and the all important Crossbow squad. So I send all my squads charging round the corner hoping to cut through to the Crossbow squad before they break and run. Nope. Siege breaks and all the Crossbow squad escapes (the only Gobs that do). I really wanted those bolts too.  :'(

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: September 14, 2011, 05:08:34 am »

Being confused why my miners are dying of thirst because they trapped themselves when removing the upward ramps around the hills to stop goblins from getting in. Oops...

Urist Mc U-man stabber

• Bay Watcher
  • They appear as U's. What would you call them?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5007 on: September 14, 2011, 07:08:06 am »

my wagon spawned on a couple fire snakes and burst into flames. I lost everything but a copper pick, a copper battleaxe, some bolts and one dwarf butcher. *facepalm* I made it till migrants though.

breadman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5008 on: September 15, 2011, 04:17:26 pm »

As for my own... hmm. Seeing the merchants come in to the depot, moving goods, noting that the trader was on break, intending to watch for it to end (or free the depot for trading by anyone if the merchants gave a departure warning), and going off on a grand construction project and completely missing the merchants getting ready to go and leaving might qualify. I was short of booze, too...

This matches my second major faceplant.  The first was that I had ignored the aquifer warning due to having read that one was great for Nist Akath.  Unfortunately, my embark was much warmer, so I wasn't finding any stone that didn't immediately get buried under 7/7 water.  Plenty of wood, but nothing fire-safe from which to build a furnace, so I couldn't collect the plentiful clay and sand.  I had been planning to buy some clay or a block from the merchants... and blitzed.

Fortunately, the outside water froze for a month or so soon after they left; just enough time to build a kiln out of ice.
Quote from: Kevin Wayne, in r.g.r.n
Is a "diety" the being pictured by one of those extremely skinny aboriginal statues?

Sleziak

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: September 16, 2011, 01:14:52 am »

The other day I was making a channel of water to go from the nearby river to under my hospital so I could build a well. Well I dug a 1 square channel in the middle of the hospital, dug out a path to the river, and unleashed the water. Well, turns out I forgot to remove the upward slope right under my hospital and in comes a massive flood of water. Luckily there was nothing in there at the time and it was doored off so I could contain it. Shrugged it off and moved the hospital up a level.
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 729