Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130632 times)

Dachande

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5010 on: September 16, 2011, 05:34:45 am »

One of my dwarves, my already high master (or thereabouts) stonecrafter, went into a strange mood. Gathered lots of stuff, then started yelling about cloth.

He didn't go insane for several season. Like, I think almost half a year passed, so I finally opened up the caverns to see if he wanted silk cloth. He did.

He completed the artifact, a microline harp. Then he and a milker promptly got one kick in the head each from a Draltha, because like a dumbass I didn't seal the caverns, and were instagibbed.

I started crying.

Edit: Typo

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5011 on: September 16, 2011, 03:47:55 pm »

Urist McStupid has died after colliding with an obstacle.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Joël

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5012 on: September 16, 2011, 04:38:30 pm »

Is biting in a fight a normal behaviour for armed dwarves? My hammerlord keeps biting the Trolls.

Clutzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5013 on: September 16, 2011, 05:06:09 pm »

While uncaging various goblins after finally defeating their chesnut admin leader, I got distracted by an ambush. This caused me to forget about the dragon I had decided to finally kill....At least it went off map after all its mayhem.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5014 on: September 16, 2011, 06:18:07 pm »

A Vile Force of Darkness just had a date with my two beekeepers.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5015 on: September 16, 2011, 07:54:09 pm »

Face palm?  Or cause for celebration?
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5016 on: September 16, 2011, 08:15:02 pm »

"A part of the cavern has collapsed! Urist McUselessmason has died after colliding with an obstacle!"
Nothing special, there'll be more of those looking for work next year ::) I'll send my condolences to his family and remember not to build walls near bridges in the future.... so, redesignate everything, do some work here and there, look after the traders, the usual - a few weeks pass... suddenly:
"Urist McArmorsmith cancels make iron greaves: Item not accessible." Waaaait a second, there's enough iron down by the forges, at the very lowest level. Better take a look what's going on  ??? In short: The single tile cave in dropped through the farms, through an important water pipe (directly connected to the river, no floodgates) , through the stockpiles and through the dining hall without injurnig anybody. Woops. I knew I should've installed some doors... I wish I had, because the two lower levels had filled with steadily rising water without me even noticing  >:(

But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5017 on: September 16, 2011, 09:56:13 pm »

Face palm?  Or cause for celebration?

Both.

I just pulled a better one:

"A vile force of darkness has arrived!"

No prob.  I'll just activate my military and deploy them just like every other s-

"Urist McLegendaryStrandExtractor has bled to death."

*pauses game and stares at the message for about 30 seconds.*  What?

Oh, that's a troll.  Oh, that's a troll in my dining hall.

Oh, there's a few more.  Even one down in the lower dungeons smashing the prisoners and caged animals to bits.

That goblin archer just killed two of my legendary miners, the bastard.

and...

Oh, I left a door open.

Queue facepalm.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 12:07:41 am by Vehudur »

Boost One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5018 on: September 17, 2011, 06:24:13 am »

two beekeepers.

Well, there's your problem.  ;D

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5019 on: September 17, 2011, 09:02:35 am »

I recently forgot to take any cats, resulting in lots of unhappy thoughts from vermin... which combined with the fact that I wasn't paying attention and ran out of wood (and lost my only axe somehow?  I'm still not sure how THAT happened) and general mismanagement of noise levels led to a rather embarrassingly early downward spiral.
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5020 on: September 17, 2011, 12:18:12 pm »

Building a fort... nothign special.
Forgotten beast appears! Caverns are sealed, it can't get it, so it just wanders around.
Later, another Forgotten beast appears! It wanders around too.
Even later, I check unit list. Both beast are deceased.
I guess they killed eachother. Facepalm for them.
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5021 on: September 17, 2011, 03:34:34 pm »

Thinking its a good idea to build obsidian casting industry in the same room with the magma forges, water supply being from an underground lake's bottom. In 5 frames the whole forge area was submerged 40 Z levels below and face hit the palm... --> operation to rescue the pump operator and keeping out the FB that I didnt notice to swim in the same lake the moment I breached the bottom.

Managed to both rescue the operator and keep the FB out, but the forges and gold mines are now lost for good. Had about 300 bars of metals and all the charcoal there, including all of my over the years imported aluminum, platinum, bronzes and all of the steel.  :'(

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5022 on: September 17, 2011, 06:38:14 pm »

Here's one from my early playing:

Once I had my fortress get beaten back to the final defensive layer by a big siege, most of the fortress taken with just an "inner keep" left, and went to raise the draw bridge right before the first goblin crossed...

And I had forgotten to connect the draw bridge with the lever.

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5023 on: September 17, 2011, 11:56:01 pm »

In my attempts to break thought a double aquifer w/o any stone at all i made 2 huge rings to drop into the water. During the first drop the dust pushed my mason/weaponsmith/furnace guy. and my expidition leader into the pit. It was only a 2 level drop the but the mason landed in the water left over and on the other side from the only exit. Leaving him for dead after he passed out even though he only brused his liver and chest but snaped his back I turn to the other guy to find out that all of his limbs how have a 3rd joint in them, some even with 4. And yes this was only a 2 level drop. I got really unlucky with that... And later when I go to drop the other plug in my miner disides to be the one to drop the other plug in by removing a constuted wall. SOMEHOW SOMEWAY the cave-in dust managed to launch him 2 z levels UP. During the flught he must have done a flip because when he landed he landed right on his head... And to make matters worse the expidition leader then shortly died from infection later. And how in the hell do you get infections from wounds that dont even break the skin? Eather way. *Facepalm* Shortly followed by a *FACEDESK*
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5024 on: September 18, 2011, 04:18:59 am »

@Before lifer:

Y'know, you could've brought some stone with you, brought a mechanic, built a support, made some mechanisms, built a lever, then hooked up the support to the lever so you could have could have collapsed stuff from a distance, right?
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 729