Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130738 times)

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5565 on: January 09, 2012, 03:42:02 pm »

Today I started a brand new fortress to test a new layout I thinked off. As I was working on the metal industry floor, I noticed the following message:
Urist Mc4YearOld has suffocated
I started wondering how as no announcement or reports was speaking of him being attacked or hurt.
After searching for a while I discovered several over dwarfs unconscious or hurt, and following a trail of blood from one of them I found what had transpired:
    My cart was not far from a 2z level high cliff I dug to make the entrance to my fortress, as more and more immigrant arrived the default meeting area got cluttered and some people started pushing others, causing some to fall off the cliff... *facepalm*

Needless to say, I changed the meeting area and started working on the hospital sooner than I thinked I'd have to ::)

And this is why I always either place meeting areas enclosed in walls and with a ceiling or enclosed in at least 2 z-levels height of walls.  I don't know how, but if I only have 1 z-level tall walls, people will somehow end up on top of them and tend to die because I never notice they're there.

anzelm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5566 on: January 09, 2012, 04:53:31 pm »

I once bought 7 or 8 Dwarven caravans full of large <insert colour> diamonds, decorated them with small cut <insert colour> diamonds, gold and platinum spikes, only to realize that you use small cut gems to make gem windows. Now I have a heap of brilliant gems only movable by dumping, due to the 'no large gem stockpile option' bug.
And they raise their wooden pints
And they yoik and sing
And they fight and dance till the morning!

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5567 on: January 09, 2012, 06:53:14 pm »

I once bought 7 or 8 Dwarven caravans full of large <insert colour> diamonds, decorated them with small cut <insert colour> diamonds, gold and platinum spikes, only to realize that you use small cut gems to make gem windows. Now I have a heap of brilliant gems only movable by dumping, due to the 'no large gem stockpile option' bug.
If I remember correctly, setting "large gems" under "finished goods" should work.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5568 on: January 09, 2012, 07:13:13 pm »

I've also had the large-gem thing. Fortunately, I just use my ruby/spinel/whatever encrusted rubies (Tempted to use some more of the freakin' zinc to have menacing spikes of zinc on EVERYTHING) as trade goods.

latest facepalm moment: My only glass-maker got possessed (*PLAF*), and was asking for green glass and rock. Rocks? Easy. Sand?

....WHAT DO YOU MEAN WE HAVE NO BAGS IN THE ENTIRE FORTRESS?!!

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5569 on: January 10, 2012, 03:47:00 am »

"Okay, you miserable kobolds, the traders have arrived and we need to get some trading done. We really need us an anvil. BROKER! Go and trade with them now!"

"Yes, let me just finish these mechanisms."
"Done?"
"Yes, but let me have a drink first."
"How about now?"
"Okay, but let me go sleep first."
"Awake now?"
"Oh, I oughta conduct that meeting with the liason."

"YOU RANDOM KOBOLD, TRADE"
"Okay!"
"Greetings from the mountaincamps! What do you want?"
"Anvil."
"Anvil? We don't got any."

The traders have departed.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

kanaak666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5570 on: January 10, 2012, 08:21:20 am »

Happened just few seconds ago. My carpenter was taken by the mood. I was unable to get some wood for him, because of ambush for few months. Then when I finally gave him some wood he created a wooden crutch macing with spikes of wood and picture of goblin showing felicitate gesture... then he starved to death as he was leaving his workshop >.<

All those masterwork beds for nobles... gone.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5571 on: January 10, 2012, 12:27:21 pm »

Ghost picks up a raw turtle and idles inside a wall. He's put to rest, and now I have a wall "decorated" with raw turtle. :o
I hope you like miasma.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

backora900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5572 on: January 10, 2012, 01:07:26 pm »

When weak Urist McNoviceCrutchwalker decided to be my chief lever operator (especially to those levers that need to be pulled as quickly as possible). And then he wanted to haul ettin's corpse all the way to my refuse stockpile.

He probably saw his idol agile Urist McLegendary+5Cruthchwalker (part of my army) who was specialized on chasing and attacking humans on horses.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5573 on: January 10, 2012, 07:07:47 pm »

Thanks to some badly timed dig staircase+decide it's in the wrong place+remove staircase+dig another.....the pathfinding in my fortress is *completely* broken between the mining and habitation levels. And the miners are thus trapped down below (including my part-time broker) unable to get out.....even though there ARE stairs....I'm mounting a last ditch "dig your way to freedom" before I lose all 4 of the good miners.

Edit: Woohoo! They're safe! Unless they die on their way to the kitchens. Which would suck.

Edit: hahahahaha. miner #3 died of thirst inside the booze stockpile. Oh the irony. :D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 07:25:56 pm by Urist McKiwi »

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5574 on: January 10, 2012, 07:32:49 pm »

I dammed a river and forgot about pressure, my fortress flooded, to fix that, I made a way down the caves, and decided to drain the river from there too, my miner fell down the caves, I made a hole to retrieve him, and a hungry armorer went near hostile antmen to eat, they also killed my miner too, and I was too enraged (honey badger level of rage) to actually send my militia down there.
BAM, abandon.
and when I did I realized how stupid I was for abandoning such a good fort by losing such lives.

GODDAMIT
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5575 on: January 10, 2012, 08:48:22 pm »

well thought that 10+ z lvls would kill goblins... well not if they break each other's fall... well at least now I know that I need to use a lava traps at the bottom of my fall traps.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5576 on: January 10, 2012, 09:18:39 pm »

well thought that 10+ z lvls would kill goblins... well not if they break each other's fall... well at least now I know that I need to use a lava traps at the bottom of my fall traps.

I'm personally stocking up on huge menacing spikes specifically for that purpose.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: January 10, 2012, 09:26:55 pm »

I'm personally stocking up on huge menacing spikes specifically for that purpose.

well i'm more ashamed of the fact that the explosive limb loss did not come into effect
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

BrandonKun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5578 on: January 11, 2012, 06:59:24 pm »

One of my Miners broke his leg during a cave-in. Whoops.

Then after he fully recovered, it happened again, he broke the same leg and his arm...

Zaphod728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5579 on: January 12, 2012, 11:56:43 pm »

Upon starting my 3rd or 4th fortress I unpacked my wagon into stockpiles. I was busy digging out rooms and when I looked outside and all of my food was gone. When I embarked everything was covered in snow, and i didnt see the frozen pond under my food.

Another time I dug a fancy moat with a gatehouse and a drawbridge. I don't like slopes in my moats, and i use one staircase to get my miners out when they are done. A giant snake titan shows up and jumps in my moat and climbs the stairs that I dug on the inside of the moat.
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 729