Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126715 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5640 on: January 29, 2012, 02:35:03 pm »

long time now i figured. some phrases are even credited to DF
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

erissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5641 on: January 29, 2012, 02:39:18 pm »

Hell, that's how I found out about DF.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 02:47:34 pm by erissian »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5642 on: January 29, 2012, 06:04:51 pm »

Hell, that's how I found out about DF.

I found out about DF on a video where someone threw a wave of magma against water :/

*facepalm*

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5643 on: January 30, 2012, 08:41:57 am »

Well, let's see... The mass (un)forbid realization gave me a minor one. And then there's the whole "look before you channel" issue that ruined the security of a couple of forts, and the thing with leaving one (1) ill-placed ground tile or missing floor tile at a remote location that lets the enemy right past the defenses.
A bigger one was in my previous fortress, where I'd set up a floodgate of DOOM to be used in case of an impending goblin apocalypse. Right next to the main entrance staircase. Then a cyclops came calling, and I decided to entice it into the entrance corridor so my marksdwarves could use the murder-holes there to fill the thing with bolts. Only the thing is, cyclopses destroy buildings... floodgates included. !!Fun!! ensues.  :-[ (Luckily, I at least managed to trap the cyclops in a dead end with some fortifications so it drowned too.)
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5644 on: January 30, 2012, 11:36:38 am »

Hmm, let`s see...

• "An ambush! Curse them!"
  • Raise the drawbridge!
  • Hah! The 2 goblins fell into the pit!
  • Go, my squads! Finish the last few goblins!
  • Snatchers too? Damn!
  • 3 minutes later and they still are chasing that pikeman!
  • Oh god! Every dwarf is running around outside like an idiot! Gah, I forgot to set them an area to stay in! *facepalm*
  • Eh, the pikeman still is being chased
  • WHAT THE F*CK!? MY DINING AREA IS FLOODING!
  • Wait, I forgot to close the floodgate *facepalm*
  • Wait, he`s STILL not dead? And you`re injured, too? Screw this *Abandons fort*

And thus "Knightrings" was abandoned, now inhabited by some forgotten beast who made it in my fort from the outside.

Should have tried to get it back in working shape, but I abandoned it. Oh well...
Pff, you abandon due to that? Pah, I say. Pah.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Hybrid

• Bay Watcher
  • Strife M.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5645 on: January 30, 2012, 01:14:26 pm »

Yeah, compared to other forts, that's nothing. Still, I wanted to get out of that fort for some reason. And realising that such things aren't that hard to fix as I suddenly thought then. *facepalming at self* I need to play DF more. And with real fun. Come to think of it, I wonder is that FB still there :p.

pugsly

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5646 on: January 30, 2012, 02:36:39 pm »

Ok, first off I am bad at this game and haven't played for about six months or so.  First fort I tried to get back into the swing of things was coming along slowly when a cyclops named Abil somethingorother showed up and in between tearing through seventy something of my dwarfs took breaks by eating a goblin siege and snacked on an elven caravan (hey, guess she wasn't that bad afterall).

I was kind of miffed at this and liked the layout of that fort.  I never tried a reclaim project and didn't know much about them but I figured what the heck, pick up the pieces of that broken fort and start it up again!  I startd with a (probably poor designed) axesdorf and send him into the main entry hall to do some scouting and uncover the map.  He just made it past the trade depot when he was ambushed by...  that damn cyclops Abil!  Guess she was still hungry after all the terror she caused earlier.  Seven more dwarfs down and that fort abandoned...  for now.

My real face palm just happened and inspired me to come here to share it, probably lame by some of the tales you guys have spun here but lessons were learned from what is now Abil's fort.  Building a wall around my main gate which has a drawbridge that can be retracted and if so it leads to a winding, twisting hall filled with traps.  Just cage traps and stone fall traps so far...  magma scares me.  I have a bunch of dwarfs working on the wall when I see this message which is my long winded face palm moment...

Azum Eskib Trapper cancels Construct Building: Interupted by Doe Rabbit

Really Azum?  a rabbit??

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5647 on: January 30, 2012, 06:14:37 pm »

Massive siege, too big even for my twenty well trained dwarves in candy armor. I sound the alert, get the bridge pulled up to protect us all and

URIST MC SOLDIER HAS BEEN CRUSHED BY A DRAWBRIDGE x8.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU--

Savescum.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5648 on: January 30, 2012, 06:22:44 pm »

Really Azum?  a rabbit??

You'd be suprised. As I recall someone lost a dorf to a sea lampray. Mabye it had rabies or something.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5649 on: January 30, 2012, 10:26:15 pm »

There was an aquifer on my map, I only had two layers of soil to work with.

So with some creative channeling I opened some of the aquifer up to the sky, then started to dig down.

Urist McMiner has been encased in ice x3

*facepalm*

Then a carpenter went axe crazy and killed four people and a war dog, and the mechanic that had been running around with all his cloths off finally starved to death.

I abandoned after that.

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5650 on: January 30, 2012, 10:37:15 pm »

Evidently gigantic Kinglets made of grime and filth are immune to magma.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5651 on: January 31, 2012, 12:53:50 am »

Really Azum?  a rabbit??

You'd be suprised. As I recall someone lost a dorf to a sea lampray. Mabye it had rabies or something.
Those gigantic leeches can grow up to 35 or so inches long. That would be frightening at best.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5652 on: January 31, 2012, 02:36:49 am »

Really Azum?  a rabbit??
"He's got huge, sharp... er... He can leap about. Look at the bones!"
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5653 on: January 31, 2012, 02:53:19 am »

This post intentionally left blank.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 03:09:35 am by Flandre »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5654 on: January 31, 2012, 03:07:48 am »

Those gigantic leeches can grow up to 35 or so inches long. That would be frightening at best.

Last time I checked leeches sucked blood, not smack dorfs in the face and insta-kill them.

No body of water is safe it seems, except for marksdwarves. Since they can, you know, pin cushin Carp/Sturgeon/Sea Lampray/whatever other horrible fish.

Recent facepalm: I was ambushed by goblins, and for some reason or another thier marksgob leader was already dead. Like a pile of bones on the floor dead. How the fuck this happened I dont wanna know.
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 729