Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130948 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5910 on: March 05, 2012, 04:48:08 pm »

Not a facepalm for me but for one of my (modded) Skaven.
'Risen' just got a quintuplet. While this wasn't very weird, a few other things are.
- He has been and still is in a coma for years. So I kinda doubt they are really his kids..
- He named one of his new daughters 'Renal'. Which would be a nice name, if he didn't already have a son with that name >.>

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5911 on: March 05, 2012, 06:31:32 pm »

Up to 169 immigrants, needing to finish off the last block of bedrooms to accomodate them. So I order the manager to make 30 cabinets and 30 coffers.

I come back over later, start building... For some reason, not a single coffer.

Then I notice all the coffins in my stockpile.

I'm trying to imagine the dorf making these coffins...looking around...thinking... "Why in Armok's name is the manager having me crank out THIRTY coffins???  OOH! Break time! Off to the bottom of the rum barrel!!! ^,^"

LOLOL, I can just see the paranoia going around the fort, as everyone sees haulers carrying all these coffins to the stockpile, lolol.

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY COFFINS???? WHAT IS HE PLANNING??? lol
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5912 on: March 05, 2012, 10:49:04 pm »

Started a fortress. Going well. Managing things well. Main idea, is to have a zombie arena for training, with an area out of the biome where I can kill them if needed. First wave of migrants, remember the main goal. I figure I should double check to see if this is a zombie zone, since I haven't seen any corpses yet... Well, it's not.

/facepalm
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5913 on: March 05, 2012, 11:29:46 pm »

Made quick Aliens mod, but embarked as dwarves since though world didn't gen with aliens it had a damn good spot with Joyous Wilds on one side of a major river and Terrifying on the other. Wagon started on Terrifying bank. Then I got the announcement: "It is raining Xenomorph blood!"
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #5914 on: March 05, 2012, 11:33:38 pm »

Up to 169 immigrants, needing to finish off the last block of bedrooms to accomodate them. So I order the manager to make 30 cabinets and 30 coffers.

I'm trying to imagine the dorf making these coffins...looking around...thinking... "Why in Armok's name is the manager having me crank out THIRTY coffins???  OOH! Break time! Off to the bottom of the rum barrel!!! ^,^"

LOLOL, I can just see the paranoia going around the fort, as everyone sees haulers carrying all these coffins to the stockpile, lolol.

Coffer = Chest

Coffin = Coffin

The second one is for holding the dead. And I don't think production will stop just because the stockpile is full, if you have ordered the worker to work and materials are in reach.

Kronos

• Bay Watcher
  • Diorite Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5915 on: March 06, 2012, 01:40:40 am »

EDIT: Bah; meant to post in the 'what's going on in your fort' thread >_>
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:29:28 pm by Kronos »

Nemica

• Bay Watcher
  • Prefers to consume diet coke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5916 on: March 06, 2012, 08:22:29 am »

Okay, so I genned a new world which, FINALLY, had a tower. And embarked almost right next to it. Here come the facepalms:

I dug a staircase downwards, waking up a bunch of troglodytes. So I drafted my three miners into the military, told them to use picks and kill them. They go and try to wrestle them to the ground. One of those things died (probably of laughter), all my three miners too.
Later, a cave crocodile comes up and goes after my woodcutters. It kills them, but is axed up bad enough for my other two guys (the new miners, ha ha) to punch it dead. Whoo!
So I'm down to two dorfs, but the fort is still standing. Migrants arrive. The dorfs become happier.
I tab over to Firefox and read that thread about how vampires are a bad addition to DF. I tab back, only to see my dorfs slaugthered by corpses. Remember those troglodytes? And the cave crocodile? Yes. These corpses. Also, dorf skeletons.

So the fort died. I checked in legends mode and found out that a human necromancer must have snuck around in my fort and reanimated the corpses. Well, crap.

edit: I reclaimed. Turns out the necromancer sits in the cavern, is friendly and... just mills about. Seriously. What the fuck.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:33:55 am by Nemica »

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5917 on: March 06, 2012, 11:27:47 am »

Okay, so I genned a new world which, FINALLY, had a tower. And embarked almost right next to it. Here come the facepalms:

I dug a staircase downwards, waking up a bunch of troglodytes. So I drafted my three miners into the military, told them to use picks and kill them. They go and try to wrestle them to the ground. One of those things died (probably of laughter), all my three miners too.
Later, a cave crocodile comes up and goes after my woodcutters. It kills them, but is axed up bad enough for my other two guys (the new miners, ha ha) to punch it dead. Whoo!
So I'm down to two dorfs, but the fort is still standing. Migrants arrive. The dorfs become happier.
I tab over to Firefox and read that thread about how vampires are a bad addition to DF. I tab back, only to see my dorfs slaugthered by corpses. Remember those troglodytes? And the cave crocodile? Yes. These corpses. Also, dorf skeletons.

So the fort died. I checked in legends mode and found out that a human necromancer must have snuck around in my fort and reanimated the corpses. Well, crap.

edit: I reclaimed. Turns out the necromancer sits in the cavern, is friendly and... just mills about. Seriously. What the fuck.

Collapse the roof on him to at least get the satisfaction of knowing the bastard doesn't live.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Nemica

• Bay Watcher
  • Prefers to consume diet coke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5918 on: March 06, 2012, 11:32:26 am »

Collapse the roof on him to at least get the satisfaction of knowing the bastard doesn't live.

But where's the !!SCIENCE!! in that?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5919 on: March 06, 2012, 12:10:42 pm »

Then I got the announcement: "It is raining Xenomorph blood!"
Beautiful.

If you want to start over on that site, make sure that the biome selected with the F keys is one without acid rain. So long as there's a tile somewhere in the middle of the embark, odds are that the wagon will start there.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5920 on: March 06, 2012, 12:45:44 pm »

Coffer = Chest

Coffin = Coffin

The second one is for holding the dead. And I don't think production will stop just because the stockpile is full, if you have ordered the worker to work and materials are in reach.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5921 on: March 07, 2012, 01:36:44 am »

Decided to try my first "Terrifying" embark. Found a good one I liked, glacier over an aquifer with a sliver of untamed wilds. Quickly selecting it, I selected my standard embark set, filled in the gaps, and went to strike the earth!

Surveying the land, I quickly remembered my standard embark set includes copper and trees, to make my own picks and axes, along with a dozen animals, and 75 barrels of various animal parts...

OH S....

--------------------------

That being said, my dwarves punched in the brains of the 5 zombies, dug in, made a decent fort, and kept the map clear of zombies with a small militia and a couple weapon traps. I just abandoned from boredom after 3 years :p

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5922 on: March 07, 2012, 01:43:01 am »

Not so much for me, but a moment for my enemies.

Sealed the gates of hell with a drawbridge, but a tantruming dwarf pulls the lever to open it. Luckily, the demons decide that the quickest route to my halls goes under the magma piston  8)
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5923 on: March 07, 2012, 04:57:18 am »

Mine is i get 7 snatchers four and 4 thiefs then find that 4 trolls have snuck in form the caverns and are killing my Dwarfs.
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Ghizz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5924 on: March 07, 2012, 05:18:46 am »

Danger Room......made out of menacing spikes instead of training spears...

and then i AFKd for a bit to let them train....= endless cycle of training/dying <- then haulers go to remove corpses and die as well -.-
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 729