Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126677 times)

Charlylimph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #6585 on: July 05, 2012, 11:27:36 am »

The moment I realized how to use the manager and did not have to remember to turn of repeated orders after a random period of time.

Phillammon

• Bay Watcher
  • Taunt ye not the artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6586 on: July 05, 2012, 12:05:39 pm »

The moment I realized how to use the manager and did not have to remember to turn of repeated orders after a random period of time.
For me, it was realizing you could set order directly at the workstation instead of using the manager...

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6587 on: July 05, 2012, 04:33:55 pm »

Been playing for about 4 years now. Just tried the manager today. My life is so much simpler.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6588 on: July 05, 2012, 04:37:24 pm »

Been playing for about 4 years now. Just tried the manager today. My life is so much simpler.

Only been a few months for me.... But I felt the same way whe I needed army uniforms made...

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6589 on: July 05, 2012, 06:20:08 pm »

Only been a few months for me.... But I felt the same way whe I needed army uniforms made...
OMFG I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT. Just start using the manager but THAT WOULD ROCK hahahah yeah. Sweetness.

XDXD ;D

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6590 on: July 05, 2012, 06:22:47 pm »

Dig! Just order however many of each piece you need made and you're good. Remember to include socks. Otherwise they'll forget they're wearing boots...

Frontestro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6591 on: July 05, 2012, 06:50:32 pm »

Second Real fortress. (I am new to the game as of a few month, read a lot on the forums figure might as well join. Getting off topic...) Position my marks dwarfs I had been training for about 2 years on a completely safe bridge to shoot down on the incoming goblin seige. They see the goblins coming. They run, off the bridge, down the stairs, to engage the crossbow goblins, (who couldn't shoot back when they were on the bridge) in Melee... no one else could fight them and I went from 90 dwarves to 60 with 30 of them being children and one in a fey mood about to zerk.... yeah...

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6592 on: July 05, 2012, 09:23:47 pm »

Second Real fortress. (I am new to the game as of a few month, read a lot on the forums figure might as well join. Getting off topic...) Position my marks dwarfs I had been training for about 2 years on a completely safe bridge to shoot down on the incoming goblin seige. They see the goblins coming. They run, off the bridge, down the stairs, to engage the crossbow goblins, (who couldn't shoot back when they were on the bridge) in Melee... no one else could fight them and I went from 90 dwarves to 60 with 30 of them being children and one in a fey mood about to zerk.... yeah...

You probably already know this, but dwarves are either suicidally overconfident or insipid cowards. Usually the opposite of what you want at the time. Also, faced with the choice between getting a single step closer to an enemy behind a wall, while managing to reach safety, and running the opposite way, getting chased down and brutally mutilated and murdered, they WILL choose dying tired.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

sisok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6593 on: July 05, 2012, 09:31:13 pm »

when I realized there was an ecosystem inside. Before I didn't understand the point of grazing stock, I figured they were just tribute for the eventual seige. Now I'm creating vast clay meadows and power-levelling 10 miners at a time.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6594 on: July 05, 2012, 11:37:15 pm »

when I realized there was an ecosystem inside. Before I didn't understand the point of grazing stock, I figured they were just tribute for the eventual seige. Now I'm creating vast clay meadows and power-levelling 10 miners at a time.
Aren't they for eating?

Anyway, my facepalm moment was when I wanted a fairly deep pit dug. Let's do a side-view (X is undug).

Figure 1.

XX
XX
XX
XX
XX
XXX

Figure 2.

XX
XX
XX☺
XX
XX
XXX

Figure 3.

XX
XX
XX
XX
XX *snap*
XXX

I lost four miners this way before one managed to defeat this bloodthirsty chasm. (Have I already posted this in another thread? I'm posting it again.)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 11:40:37 pm by GoombaGeek »
My wooden badge was delicious.

sisok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6595 on: July 06, 2012, 03:31:09 am »

^The first time I tried to build a well over a cavern I did this. I decided to use Therapist to find the least skilled dwarf capable of 'doing the honors'. I didn't pay enough attention. She had a baby with her. Now I just make sure to make a ton of booze.

Frontestro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6596 on: July 06, 2012, 08:41:09 am »

You probably already know this, but dwarves are either suicidally overconfident or insipid cowards. Usually the opposite of what you want at the time. Also, faced with the choice between getting a single step closer to an enemy behind a wall, while managing to reach safety, and running the opposite way, getting chased down and brutally mutilated and murdered, they WILL choose dying tired.

Yeah... it just surprised me. Cause the same dwarfs when they weren't in the army and had their hunting labors turned on pincushioned plenty of goblins and kobold thieves and the moment I actually train them up, specifically tell them to stand on the damn bridge, and have it so that plenty of ammo is stockpiled with them so they don't need to move, they decide the shiny copper and iron sword will do more damage than the piles of *Silver Bolt*[25] lying right next to them.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6597 on: July 06, 2012, 11:01:16 am »

Dwarven logic:
Enemies ahead. I have a crossbow with tons of ammo. Do I shoot them, or socks? Socks? Socks.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

person012345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6598 on: July 06, 2012, 11:34:44 am »

A) it's hard to fight a FB when it's accompanied by a webspitter
I had a web spitting titan recently. I literally had to conscript the entire fort to pick up whatever weapon was lying around and zergrush the thing just to get at it.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6599 on: July 06, 2012, 12:11:15 pm »

Those darn elves.

An elven trading caravan arrived with a bunch of crap. Well, and a little booze - I wanted that. Value 183 in total.

I had a crap load of goods because I'd reclaimed twice and a couple of large trading caravans had come a cropper in the earlier incarnations. So I basically wanted to clear space and offered 22,000 value of stuff.

I forgot to exclude everything with wood. >_<

So the elves went off in a huff leaving behind the biggest profit any trader could expect to make ever.
()==[:::::::::::::>
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 729