Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 489 490 [491] 492 493 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130593 times)

MattStriker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7350 on: January 24, 2013, 09:18:36 am »

Dug a channel for a moat, then punched through to the river...realizing moments later that I hadn't put in the floodgate for the drain yet. Didn't lose anybody, but I basically set back my construction projects by about half a year.

Tosid Emulsazir

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7351 on: January 24, 2013, 04:58:41 pm »

I know the Military Tactics skill hasn't been properly implemented yet, but...

Urist McAxedwarf : All right lads, we gotta be careful on this-- OH SH** I SEE ENNEMIES I must charge and punch them to death despite the fact that I forgot my axe in the barracks and there are like 10 of them armed with crossbows and battle axes.

Urist McAxedwarf : Dar be nasty looking gobos about to attack, let's form ranks- oh wait I need to take a nap, brb.

Urist McAxedwarf On Duty : Mission accomplished!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7352 on: January 24, 2013, 08:31:25 pm »

So I have a cold zone where it's only warm enough to melt most of the river most years, once it melted all the way but usually it's cold, and I have a triple layer of aquifier.

I tried a cave in to get through it, but ended up having to channel during the times the water would run and then wait for a freeze then mine out the layer of ice and build walls and repeat for the next layer next season.
  About 20 dwarves with their picks got ice cubed while trying to complete this multi year task, but that's not the face palm , not yet.

I finally get through and am happilly digging exploratory tunnels and find 3 layers of flux, I add steel making jobs and am busy doing other things, I get a job cancellation saying there was no flux,
I check the stocks menu, there is about 10 chalk right there, not forbidded, no restrictions on where my dwarves can go, everybody hauls... so I go to look at where my miners are digging, WTF? why is the tunnel flooding?

I look at my area where I dug through the aquifier, and I see two gaps in the walls and water is cascading into the pit and filling the tunnels.

Three miners are trapped, and I first build walls in the tunnel two dwarves do it right and are standing on the dry side the third dwarf has had three tries to do it right and every time walls himself off on the wet side.
I order him to mine more area starting with a diagonal so there will not be pressure problems, and after about 20 tiles he's too sleepy to continue and I have my other two dry dwarves try to build a rescue tunnel and they break through just as the wet one drowns, now they are wet too.

I start building stairs down , offsetting 1 tile every few layers so as the dwarves climb the wet stairs they do not plummet to their doom. and after some 20 levels down I break out into the cavern layer, and water is cascading out into the caverns now but there is food to be had here I set the miners to gathering and both of them find something to bring back to the newly staked out food stockpile, yup both of them found dimple cups, and are now hunting vermin and alternately trying to drink from the water cascading from the stairs Mechanic cancels drink: water sourse has dissapeared X196.

So my starving (cause they harvested dimple cups) and dehydrated (cause they can't drink from a firehose) and furious due to the preceeding two dwarves die, the baby one was hauling around is seen later playing in some GCS webs, the baby born a few days before this one turns into a child, and then this one dies.

I now look at the now refrozen walls the dwarves had cancelled the build walls task for some unknown reason, I try multiple times to build in thoes tiles to no avail, so end up building around the two tiles.
<head shake and face palms all around>

Baccar Wozat

• Bay Watcher
  • [VAMPOW]
    • View Profile
    • My Fortresses
« Reply #7353 on: January 24, 2013, 10:44:18 pm »

Another one I had yesterday.

Everything's going well, but we don't have a dedicated hunter; we're just living off our supply of crappy meat and growing seeds (but STILL not plump helmets-- that's TWO worldgens without them in a row!) but now we are running low and someone must become a hunter.

I pick the mason, who though not very suited to it, is a better choice than anyone else since they're so overloaded with tasks.

I have a bunch of hunting dogs that I got at embark, so I assign them to the poor guy.

THEN migrants arrive, including a guy who would be perfect as a hunter!

So I go to reassign the dogs and... um, reassign the... hey, where DOES one reassign hunting dogs?

Oh, they became attached to the mason.

So I make the other guy a hunter anyway, just sans pooches. He gets very very badly injured in his first attempt. Meanwhile, my mason has a number of dogs following him around. "Get awa', will ye'? I'm tryin' mah best to dieu this construction justice! And stop poopin' on the engraved floor!"

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7354 on: January 25, 2013, 12:29:16 am »

Fun with pressurized water.

My fort is a long way from the river. I've been preparing a huge farming layer which will be watered from a large cistern. I do need to make it large because the farming layer is around 800 tiles. To get the water all the way from the river without it evaporating on the way I dug out another cistern at the river so it would be pressurized and travel the 100+ tiles in an instant.

River -> River cistern -> Water passsage -> Cistern -> Farming

And a well room above the cistern.

Due to my OCD, I had to make sure all the stone was cleared out of the cisterns and the connecting passage, the walls were smoothed, the floor nicely tiled with stone blocks so trees won't grow on it. It's now year 4 and the waterworks are finally ready. Although there are still plenty of stones in the farming level I can wait no longer: the population is too large to survive on gathered surface plants and the steady stream of dwarves fetching water from the river in buckets on 'give water' tasks is concerning me. One child has already been lost to a goblin kidnapper. The surface is about to become too dangerous.

The river cistern is full. The river intake is now closed. I give the order to open the river cistern's outflow gate. It works perfectly, and the connecting channel fills up almost instantly. One whole layer of the river cistern was drained.

Now, I order the intake for the secondary cistern to be opened. The cistern fills instantly. Except, the pressurized water creates a waterspout in my well room, flooding it, and flooding my kitchen. FACE PALM. Well, thank goodness for doors. It's only the kitchen workshop and cookable food storage that got submerged. Not a complete disaster.

But I do want to salvage things from that room, so now it's time to open the outflow from my secondary cistern into my farming level. I miscalculated the size of the cistern and instead of a farming level I now have a swimming pool level, 4 or 5 deep. FACE PALM.

The well room and kitchen are passable again so I deconstruct the well and get the kitchen running again. I designate some temporary farm plots in the storeroom. Now, I dig a new well room on a higher level and a new shaft down. Shortly after I see a drowning miner in the bottom level of my cistern. He dug out the ground under his feet, plummeted down the shaft, fell through the well and several levels of cistern and broke several bones and bruised ribs. FACE PALM.

I can't get help to him because the only way to get to him is through my flooded farming level. He drowns. I order a coffin and a slab but I can't slab him: nobody else knows he's dead yet. FACE PALM.

I start working on draining the farming level. I 'm going to have two muddy levels. Or maybe three. It'll be great for tree farms when I finally breach the caverns. It's just going to be tedious digging out 800 damp tiles. FACE PALM.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7355 on: January 25, 2013, 12:56:27 am »

Another one I had yesterday.

Everything's going well, but we don't have a dedicated hunter; we're just living off our supply of crappy meat and growing seeds (but STILL not plump helmets-- that's TWO worldgens without them in a row!) but now we are running low and someone must become a hunter.

I pick the mason, who though not very suited to it, is a better choice than anyone else since they're so overloaded with tasks.

I have a bunch of hunting dogs that I got at embark, so I assign them to the poor guy.

THEN migrants arrive, including a guy who would be perfect as a hunter!

So I go to reassign the dogs and... um, reassign the... hey, where DOES one reassign hunting dogs?

Oh, they became attached to the mason.

So I make the other guy a hunter anyway, just sans pooches. He gets very very badly injured in his first attempt. Meanwhile, my mason has a number of dogs following him around. "Get awa', will ye'? I'm tryin' mah best to dieu this construction justice! And stop poopin' on the engraved floor!"
The lack of Plump helmets is likely because you haven't genned caves or you embarked crazy early. probably the first.

MattStriker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7356 on: January 25, 2013, 07:41:06 am »

Tried to build an 'arena'...a walled area with drawbridges to lock in whatever I put there until I'm satisfied with the bloodshed (mainly intended for testing out various war animals on captured goblins).

So far so good. In goes the first gobbo. In goes a war dog. Lever is pulled...one drawbridge goes up, the other stays down, because I messed up on linking the levers. Goblin massacres war dog. Goblin proceeds to run out into my surface pasture area, gets kicked around by random farm animals and eventually escapes down the stairs into my farm/trade level...where he proceeds to cause a truly apocalyptic amount of mess by first panicking every civilian in a five-mile radius, then wandering into the chicken breeding area before finally falling to a legendary miner who'd just come up from the depths to get a drink.

Oh, and my military? Locked in at my surface fort where I'd placed them to deal with any arena combatants that got out of hand.

Not exactly my finest moment.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7357 on: January 25, 2013, 12:47:12 pm »

Oh, look, the hospital well is dry. Better open the filling valve then... *levers are pulled, well begins filling...*

A VILE FORCE OF DARKNESS HAS ARRIVED!

Seige happens.

Go back to look at hospital, which is now full of 7/7 water. Forgot to close the waterlock, hadn't I? The control levers just had to be in the now flooded room, didnt it? Cue a large upwards shaft from the caverns through the floor of the hospital being dug. Hospital now has large grate covered hole in the floor to prevent future occurance. Fortunate the ospital was empty at time of flooding, and that no one was injured (well, nobody useful) during the seige or release of water.
This is a blank sig.

protester

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Chalkies be trippin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7358 on: January 25, 2013, 08:56:38 pm »

Well, i had a very unfortunate run in with physics. We had a small pool in which dwarves were wading in and out of scrubbing blood and grime off themselves and right into the pool. Combined with the babies drinking from the bloody pool, a Kobold fell through murky pool hatch about 3 stories above the pool and landed stomach first and puked all his guts and teeth right into the water. The squad of crossbowdwarves refilling their canteens had some very sloppy target practice... I decided the miners needed some work and decided to make a well and destroy that literal bloodbath. I made a huge ornate room and set it as a new meeting hall to ease off the crowding in the first one. My triple legendary miners and my 2 newbies began working hard on the first well, and completed it within 5 minutes irl.

I decided that a second one couldn't hurt, so i began set out the plans and my minions followed. I completely forgot to restrict the actual well hole itself, and dwarves suddenly found themselves being pelted with rock 30 stories above them. A single patch was left at the top, and a single last one was at the bottom. #1, expedition leader-mayor-miner extraordinaire is suddenly smacked in the head by a boulder of galena. The extreme heavy ore of lead. His upper spine is broken and he becomes paralyzed from the neck down, and cant breath. A newbie up top who mined that bit runs away to his bedroom, and #2 runs to his best friends aid. 1 dies in 2's arms, and 2 goes up top and builds the well after hauling the body off to its tomb. 2 drinks some sunshine and gets over it.
Adventurer in training

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7359 on: January 25, 2013, 09:55:33 pm »

I embark by a volcano and try to get a little lava flowing for a magma forge. The magma promptly covers my embark site. FML.

How long does it take for a lava flow to become stone?
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MattStriker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7360 on: January 25, 2013, 10:52:56 pm »

Had my first gremlin ever today.

Two dwarves hospitalized due to a pulled drawbridge lever...from now on I'll have guard dogs on those.

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7361 on: January 26, 2013, 01:07:54 am »

Exactly as long as it takes for you to pour water over it. DF takes place in a world where magma stays hot until water says otherwise.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7362 on: January 26, 2013, 01:24:50 am »

Magma doesn't become stone, it just disappears gradually like water if it's at 1/7 depth.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7363 on: January 26, 2013, 03:26:19 am »

Exactly as long as it takes for you to pour water over it. DF takes place in a world where magma stays hot until water says otherwise.

. . . I can never go back, can I?
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Crazy Horse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7364 on: January 26, 2013, 04:55:55 am »

A Goblin ambush! Not to worry, this squad of highly trained marksdwarves should be an even match for the Goblin hammers. Sally forth and rescue the hapless woodcutters!

But why are they closing into melee range? Why are the bloodstains all Dwarven and not Goblin?

It turns out I had pressed enter once too many while recently reconfiguring the squad uniforms and left them completely without crossbows. To their credit they had no qualms about about running up to the Goblin Hammerers and punching them in the breastplate. Had no choice but turn them into civs but dwarves have stubby legs and 15 new rock coffins needed carving.
Pages: 1 ... 489 490 [491] 492 493 ... 729