Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126481 times)

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7470 on: March 01, 2013, 11:08:35 am »

That change itself caused me more than one facepalm. It used to be that I'd mark out the rectangle on the floor above (or below) the one I wanted to dig, and then jump down (or up) one floor before pressing Enter. And then this change came in and I found myself accidentally digging out internal walls all over the place.

I did the same thing! Multi z-level designations are one of my favorite recent editions, but they were quite a shock at first.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Giver99

• Bay Watcher
  • self destruct..5..4..3..2..1..Oops
    • View Profile
« Reply #7471 on: March 02, 2013, 02:17:52 pm »

How do you find the vampires in adventure mode they are never at the place i am told to go there is no cottage there!. there is only a bridge Please Help i whant a vampire adventurure!!
Oop's Wrong Lever!

MattStriker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7472 on: March 02, 2013, 05:50:15 pm »

How do you find the vampires in adventure mode they are never at the place i am told to go there is no cottage there!. there is only a bridge Please Help i whant a vampire adventurure!!

1.) This is the wrong thread (and wrong forum, really) for this. There's an adventure mode forum, you'll get more help there.

2.) The quest marker points to a general area, not the exact location. Any civilian NPC within that area could be the vampire. Which means that if it's a town...yes, you'll have to go through it and accuse every single one of the bastards. Which is likely going to take about an in-game week for a smaller settlement, cause you no end of frustration and might still miss the target because he just wasn't around when you tried his house.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #7473 on: March 02, 2013, 06:31:12 pm »

2.) The quest marker points to a general area, not the exact location. Any civilian NPC within that area could be the vampire. Which means that if it's a town...yes, you'll have to go through it and accuse every single one of the bastards. Which is likely going to take about an in-game week for a smaller settlement, cause you no end of frustration and might still miss the target because he just wasn't around when you tried his house.
Nah, it's not that bad.

In towns with potential vampires, you can go from house to house and ask people for quests. They'll say "Urist McVampire can be found to the *insert direction here* of here" or something along those lines. Keep following their directions and narrow down what house the vamp is in until you find the legendary flashing fish cleaner/farmer/potash maker/etc. Boom, target found.

As for bridges, I just bail those quests and move on to other civs with other quests. I think there's a glitch with a certain kind of vampire-hunting-quest that results in you being directed to a random bridge that doesn't have the vampire showing up. I assume it's a similar glitch to the ones that make the mountainhomes/forest retreats empty sites in adventure mode.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7474 on: March 02, 2013, 10:32:19 pm »

Di  you look under the water? There may be a sewer exit connected to the river, and the vampire could be hiding down there.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #7475 on: March 02, 2013, 11:18:17 pm »

Then there's the lovely issue of possibly having to explore the sewers. That seems more trouble than it's worth to kill one vampire. I never thought of checking for sewers though, I'll have to keep that in mind for my next adventuring.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Bar_Barian

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7476 on: March 04, 2013, 05:31:25 pm »

The first time I discovered that you can't lock a door that has a sock propping it open...

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7477 on: March 04, 2013, 10:26:34 pm »

Just had a birdsplosion
I wondered why my frame rate had dropped
Its because I have too many chicks
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7478 on: March 04, 2013, 10:35:49 pm »

In a recent fort, I had everything smoothed/engraved and lots of other high-value things, but I still had people throwing tantrums and going insane. When I checked for the reason, I discovered that survivors of my previous fort were migrating and arriving miserable. From their history (and one dwarf dropping dead after entering the map), I realized they were from my previous fort, which had ended with most dwarfs dead, but I had ended it before the clowns killed everyone, thus letting a few dozen miserable and bruised/armless/legless migrants go to all my other forts. I had to work carefully to avoid a tantrum spiral, and I don't think I'll be letting any dwarfs survive the fall of my next fort.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #7479 on: March 04, 2013, 10:40:01 pm »

I divided my pony post-apocalypse fort into two parts: A wastelander town above, and a secret black-ops training facility below. I forgot to provide the top with a military. Oops. Then a feral minotaur reaver showed up, and layed waste to the town. When a wastelander caravan showed up, they got slaughtered, and their diplomat too. Now I have the wastelanders after me. And then, the slavers took it down with their puny little peashooters. That was embarassing. Now to buy slaves from the slavers to repopulate the surface town.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Shazial

• Bay Watcher
  • *hic*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7480 on: March 05, 2013, 11:27:38 am »

I was curious about how the water flows from the big river next to my fortress and started a little winter project, where I dug into the river and tried creating an artificial lake into the middle of the river. Needless to say, spring arrived before I managed to block (read: paid enough attention to) the hole in my wall, and I flooded my main carpentry center, a big food storage, part of my grave yard, and about 1/3rd of the busiest dwarf production area. Ops.
I'm surrounded by lunatics who don't even need a moon.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7481 on: March 05, 2013, 04:06:58 pm »

This Kobold Camp packaged with masterwork had me curious. "I get to play as cutebolds and inhabit caves and build little mud huts and everything?  YAY!"

So I embarked on a cave and had the little buggers head down to the caverns, figured I'd start a little cutebold village down there.  Yay!

The facepalm came when I forgot that caves often had inhabitants.  I imagine it went a little like this:

"We're in the caves, yay!  We're building huts out of fungi, yay! We're OOHHHMMARGGGERLLL BLEERGGGHHL PANDA DEMON AUUUUUGGGGHHH."

Remaining population: 1 horribly scarred, terrified little cutebold huddling up on a small platform above the cave floor, in his bed, sobbing uncontrollably at the horror of having witnessed his fellow 'bolds being brutally beaten to death by a rythmically undulating panda demon with their own slings, while the panda demon has returned to its lair on a lower level to feed on the remains of the tribe.

EDIT: inb4 "Can't sleep, clown'll eat me."
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7482 on: March 06, 2013, 03:29:11 am »

The last human siege gave me more stupid I could handle. I lost 2 legendary fighters because as soon as I gave a station order because they needed to "pickup equipment" and "Go to individual combat drill" at the opposite corners of the map. They got torn apart by panthers.

Turns out they were not wearing any armor. If they dropped it on the corners, why the hell didn't they pick it up during the whole year during the training? Seriously why is that so hard to get your dwarves to wear they bloody uniform?

In comparison, one of the very non legendary sworddwarf kept 10 panthers at bay until his squad got there. At least he was wearing his armor!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 03:59:09 am by Boltgun »

MattStriker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7483 on: March 06, 2013, 08:51:40 am »

Put together an embark profile of my own for the first time. I figured I'd thought of absolutely everything this time and was quite happy with it.

Found a good spot to embark and went to strike the earth...

Yeah. No pickaxes.

I'm not sure how that happened, must have accidentally deleted them from the profile somehow. So until the first dwarven caravan came in, my dorfs were stuck aboveground, living in wooden huts. One of them was eaten by a bear, but I'm fairly sure what he actually died of was embarrassment.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7484 on: March 06, 2013, 03:44:50 pm »

Put together an embark profile of my own for the first time. I figured I'd thought of absolutely everything this time and was quite happy with it.

Found a good spot to embark and went to strike the earth...

Yeah. No pickaxes.

I'm not sure how that happened, must have accidentally deleted them from the profile somehow. So until the first dwarven caravan came in, my dorfs were stuck aboveground, living in wooden huts. One of them was eaten by a bear, but I'm fairly sure what he actually died of was embarrassment.

Hahahahaha!

I shouldn't read this thread when I'm eating. I nearly choked.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.
Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 729