Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126693 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7680 on: May 12, 2013, 07:02:50 am »

Hello!

There was a big face palm for me today when I noticed that trousers and loincloths were listed in the trading list much, much later than all the other clothes. All the time, I thought the traders didn't bring any, while I simply did not look in the right place (the goods surrounding them are of no interest for me at the moment) (T_T).

Yours,
Deathworks

Graf Zeppelin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7681 on: May 13, 2013, 06:56:44 pm »

One of my hunters was naked except for a tiger leather quiver.......he was not even unhappy. >>

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7682 on: May 13, 2013, 10:31:22 pm »

I felt like starting a fortress in one of them fancy-shmancy evil biomes where it's also cold as Northern Canada. Which is to say, damn cold, and perpetually covered in snow.

The birds, I could deal with.
The skeletons too, natch.
Even the stuff from underground... olms, trolls, rutherers, etc. Forgotten Beasts with paralyzing extract? Set up a cordon, no further problems.

BUT THE RAIN. It wasn't even the actual effects of the rain. Oh noez, everyone outside gets briefly dizzy, whatever shall I do. Answer: ignore it like a boss.
No, I ended up abandoning that fort because I got sick and tired off the fact that the whole map looked like it was perpetually covered in urine. If the dizzy rain had been literally any other colour...  :'(
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7683 on: May 14, 2013, 05:48:45 am »

I had tried an embark in an evilish savanna once. As soon as we arrived, it started to rain acrid muck and all pools dried out. The muck, like above, only caused a bit of dizziness, but being unfamiliar with evil biomes at the time, i quickly got sick of it and scrapped the fort. Then i embarked in a tundra/frozen ocean, with lots of minerals (apart from iron, of course) ...
and got some migrants. From the mucky savanna fort. That had carefully avoided washing on their travels and promptly brought some of the muck to the new fort. And since it's permanently frozen, dwarfs won't clean outside and contaminants are buggy and eternally spread, the stuff slowly spread, until after a few years, several hundred tiles of surface were piss-yellow. Building kennels and demolishing them helped keep the stuff out of the main area, but there was no getting rid of it, ever.

r4NGe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7684 on: May 15, 2013, 04:47:39 pm »

30 z dodge pit is a smashing success. Who knew if you add a butcher shop at the bottom, they mop up the corpse, chop it up and whip up some delicious pretzels, chips, and bruschetta from it. [Masterwork].

AutomatedGoldfish

• Escaped Lunatic
  • All my migrants are soap makers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7685 on: May 15, 2013, 08:33:44 pm »

Hm, this isn't a major facepalm moment. When I started playing DF I had setup a nice enough looking area, about 2 hours in. So, after a while, I tried mining, I went to the mining designation and it wouldn't work. I though it was something wrong with the save, so I deleted my world entirely. It turns out that I was hitting space other than enter. . . . 

3iff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7686 on: May 16, 2013, 05:18:53 am »

I was going to make a comment that in the 4 years of this new fortress I haven't had ANY dwarf attempts at making an artifact...but checking the wiki, I've probably turned artifacts OFF.

Actually, Artifacts were ON, so I went 4 years with no attempts at artifact building. I did only have 14 very busy dwarfs though. Once the numbers got bounced to 25 then strange moods started, two so far.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 02:19:59 am by 3iff »

Tinyheavyistiny

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is wasted on the living.
    • View Profile
    • Thoughts of Magnus
« Reply #7687 on: May 17, 2013, 04:30:42 pm »

I didn't know about dumping objects so I thought that you had to dig out an area to store the stone in, so I was creating these massive underground stockpiles for stone. I felt so stupid when I learned how to dump things, now stone management is a breeze.
A large mammalian herbivore. It has long fur and curving horns. It can be found it the mountains.
Her right floating ribs are broken. Her nose is broken. her head is dented. She is gigantic and muscular. Her hair is white. her skin is pale chestnut. Her head bears a very short straight scar. Her eyes are black. Her teeth is gone

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7688 on: May 17, 2013, 10:03:16 pm »

I was going to make a comment that in the 4 years of this new fortress I haven't had ANY dwarf attempts at making an artifact...but checking the wiki, I've probably turned artifacts OFF.

Actually, Artifacts were ON, so I went 4 years with no attempts at artifact building. I did only have 14 very busy dwarfs though. Once the numbers got bounced to 25 then strange moods started, two so far.

Dwarves do not produce artifacts until there are at least 20 dwarves.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7689 on: May 20, 2013, 07:06:45 am »

"Farmworker has been missing for a week!"

Mind you, I had two farmworkers, my fort is rather smallish at the moment (though I have big plans for it!), and no combat logs.  I searched the entire fort twice over, even looked in the river, no dice.  I then had a strange foul suspicion, so I went up a z-level and yup, there he is.  On top of a wall with no access to it, and he doesn't have wings either.  I imagine he dehydrated, which must have been doubly depressing since said wall was immediately adjacent to a stream full of nice, clear, refreshing water.

Serves the idiot right. *facepalm*
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #7690 on: May 21, 2013, 03:05:20 pm »

I'm mining a huge underground hollow where the only things in the end will be the tower structures my dorfs live and work in. I'm going to fill up the entire hollow in magma at the end, which my dorfs can admire behind the gem windows I plan to have everywhere.

So far, I've had 2 miners die during the ramp-digging. One legendary, another decent miner. Both died from walking on a tile that was then dug from below them, and they bumped their head, bruising the brain.

Damn it.

EDIT: Now up to 3 fucking idiots who fell over their beards and bashed their skulls open, splattering their brains all over the rock floor. Voidstone has also claimed 2 miners, and a vampire ate up another, so my previously 20-strong minerforce is slowly but surely being used up. At least there will be kids growing up in a few years so there's a workforce, should the project take that long to finish mining.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:18:01 am by Ieb »

kilozombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7691 on: May 21, 2013, 06:25:22 pm »

Somebody said earlier that blocks were more efficient for building, because they gave more.

Then somebody else called them out because it wasn't true. Double facepalm, right?

I just tested it and each rock gives 4 blocks in a Mason's Workshop.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7692 on: May 21, 2013, 07:14:26 pm »

Somebody said earlier that blocks were more efficient for building, because they gave more.

Then somebody else called them out because it wasn't true. Double facepalm, right?

It's only true for rock blocks. Wood, metal, glass, and ceramics only give 1.

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7693 on: May 22, 2013, 03:30:13 pm »

Trying to build a watchtower when a wild groundhog scares your mason off of the wall.

Got to watch out for those groundhogs.
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."

kilozombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7694 on: May 22, 2013, 10:13:54 pm »

It's only true for rock blocks. Wood, metal, glass, and ceramics only give 1.

Oh, even.

...Damn. Well, then what's the point of making wood blocks? Lighter weight? I suppose you can store them in bins.
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 729