Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126546 times)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #180 on: May 23, 2009, 03:28:35 pm »

Trash compactor.  Powered by nobles!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

LostNumber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 23, 2009, 05:33:13 pm »

When my ultra-strong drowning trap of drowning hit a small flaw.
There were 3 levers, one to block access to my fort, one to seal the enemy in and one to unleash the water.

Guess who accidently pulled the wrong lever (I sealed them in) and then forgot about it until 30 dorfs were dead?

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 23, 2009, 05:49:59 pm »

YOU CAN MASS DUMP?!?!?!?

Brb i need to attend my fortress...

URIST, YOU HAVE A JOB TO DO!!
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 23, 2009, 05:58:44 pm »

YOU CAN MASS DUMP?!?!?!?

Brb i need to attend my fortress...

URIST, YOU HAVE A JOB TO DO!!
And mass forbid, and mass claim.  Useful for atom smashers, certainly.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 23, 2009, 07:33:52 pm »

d, b, d, specifically.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 23, 2009, 09:48:14 pm »

When i accidentally dug upwards into the bottom of an Aquifer i didn't even know was there.

"Why the fuck is my dining room full of water!"

Worst part is i had a waterfall in my dining room, so i thought it was overflowing :\

bokbon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 23, 2009, 11:04:27 pm »

I decided to expand my entry defenses, and as part of this cut away all the ramps around the back of my entrance area, forcing enemies to cross the open ground in view of my marksdwarves etc.

Later on, I wonder why the merchants aren't leaving, even though it's been a couple of months since they said they were setting off. Eh, whatever, they operate at their own pace I guess.

Later on again, I notice a bunch of hungry dwarfs wandering around aimlessly outside. Figuring some kind of borked pathfinding is the culprit, I draft one guy and station him progressively closer to the entrance. Once I get close enough that the next station is one level down, he promptly freaks out and runs off in the opposite direction. Only THEN do I notice that I'd cut away the ramps from the entrance as well.

*face palm*

fungee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 24, 2009, 07:29:42 am »

Just when my fortress survived a torrent of tantrums I forgot to lock my backdoor and orc invaders poured in... Lost or crippled most of my workforce, 7 champions and 2 non-disabled dwarves alive + 5 lying in bed...  :'( :'(

*Funkytrix is stricken by melancholy...*

EDIT: Right after that I get immigrants yay! But most of them are children... *facepalm*
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 07:33:18 am by funkytrix »
It's easy being an experimentalist. If you fail try again.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 24, 2009, 07:33:28 am »

That's a good thing!  I could never get my dwarves killed!

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 24, 2009, 11:17:29 am »

I take it you have NEVER played on a tropical river with an aquifer, have you? Try saying those words when you do that.

As for me: forgetting to lock the front doors when an orc invasion came-and i had no more than five dwarves (two lost to carp), NONE of them military. Cue slaughter fest.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 24, 2009, 12:49:16 pm »

Just had a new one recently.

Did not realize you could easily drain water off the map by carving fortifications into an edge tile.

fungee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 24, 2009, 12:59:29 pm »

I take it you have NEVER played on a tropical river with an aquifer, have you? Try saying those words when you do that.

As for me: forgetting to lock the front doors when an orc invasion came-and i had no more than five dwarves (two lost to carp), NONE of them military. Cue slaughter fest.

I lost 30 dwarves though. And that includes all my 10 legendary non-military dwarves
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 01:01:20 pm by funkytrix »
It's easy being an experimentalist. If you fail try again.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 24, 2009, 08:31:02 pm »

Putting a fortress into a small canyon with a little hillock in the center, I first dug down through the hillock for my main dwarf entrance, then dug a passage into a canyon wall for wagon access.  Then I began to remove all the ramps in the canyon and hillock.  After a while, I began wondering why my dwarves were pathing through the wagon access instead of down the stairs in the hillock.

Yes, I forgot to remove the designation from the stairs.

WHY did you make your miner a mason?

EVERYONE is a mason in my forts.  And a carpenter, and a butcher, and a tanner, and a fish cleaner, and a miller, and a thresher.  If necessary, glassmaker, mechanic, strand extractor, and/or pump operator, too.  What time I lose in setting up immigrants I make up in not having to track down a loafer when I need one of those jobs.  If I need high-quality stone furniture, I can always set a workshop to skill levels or specific trained masons.

What does "remv cre" do anyway?
Pulls the current dwarf off the job it's working on and tells it to find something else to do.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #193 on: May 25, 2009, 06:48:25 pm »

I embarked on a map with no river and pools that dry up in the summer. Fortunately, there was an aquifer in one corner, so after I got the fort up and running and a few immigrants arrived, I dug a long tunnel into that corner looking for water. Finally found it, and after fiddling with a pump for a while, I realized it was easier to just channel a long water-trench back toward the general vicinity of the fort's dining hall. From said hall, I ran a tunnel a ways and began digging a well-shaft down to meet the trench, four or five z-levels down. Two z-levels down.. damp walls. Turns out my dining room was right on the edge of the aquifer all along. Sigh. At least I didn't flood the place while digging the dining room.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 729