Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 623 624 [625] 626 627 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130930 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9360 on: August 12, 2015, 11:17:20 pm »

Hmm... maybe if you blocked the route to his destination? For instance, briefly closing the front gate might cause him to re-evaluate (rhyme not intended, but not unwelcome.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9361 on: August 13, 2015, 05:29:29 am »

Forbidding the hauled item normally _does_ cancel the job. However, when the dwarf immediately chains up a "self-maintenance" job (pick up new clothes, drink, attend meeting, possibly also sleep/eat), they'll fail to drop the hauled item and drag it along to the food stockpile or wherever they decided to go. You'll have to interrupt their _new_ job to get them to let go of the item. Fortunately, as bumber said, general pathing interruption could do this.

BTW, i often assign wheelbarrows to "animal" stockpiles. That way, dwarfs haul cages at their normal walking speed and not at a snail's pace.

PS: Urist McParttimeFisherdwarf "went missing". Dang, should've paid better attention when the last langur invasion rolled through town. The report explicitly said "The langur attacks the farmer but she jumps away!". Nothing good can come of a dodging dwarf: she had dodged into a 1-wide 1-deep channel and promptly drowned.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 05:38:34 am by Larix »

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9362 on: August 13, 2015, 07:43:13 am »

While dealing with five years’ worth of accumulated prisoners by mass-pitting them into my arena, I discovered the new bug wherein dwarves will start to pit a creature, but then change their mind and just let it out of its cage. Fun was averted by a narrow margin, and now I'm having to build dozens of cages and link levers to them individually.

Also, despite having witnessed maybe a half dozen goblin, troll and zombie deaths before the bug cropped up, none of the dwarves watching from the seating above gained even a single level of hardening, which is a tragedy unto itself.

SNV

• Bay Watcher
  • The earth just opens up and swallows goblins
    • View Profile
« Reply #9363 on: August 18, 2015, 12:04:44 pm »

The biggest casualties in this fort I suffered from werebeasts. So I built death chamber especialy for finishing the bitten dwarves. But before it was built I just kept bitten dwarfes sealed shut. After one of the four isolated dwarves starved to death I realized, that they were not infected and released them, they are still alive. But later with migrant wave heavily injured dwarf arrived. I suspected that he was bitten by werebeast and even impailed him with floor spikes once before thinking that I was mistaken and leaving him...
...Just for him to turn and kill 5 dwarves. After that I kill every dwarf who was barely touched by a werebeast.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9364 on: August 18, 2015, 09:37:06 pm »

Forgetting to brew alcohol for a few months pudding off my dwarves then forgetting the next year again and the year after that till one dwarf snaps,"I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE I NEED BOOZE AHAHAHHHHHHHHHHGGGHHHHHHHHH" he screamed as he ripped Urist's throat out in a deranged and psychotic episode
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9365 on: August 19, 2015, 02:56:09 pm »

I always thought kobolds were even smaller and sturdier versions of dwarves. But apparently, they are just intelligent reptiles. (Google image it)
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9366 on: August 19, 2015, 04:19:26 pm »

I always thought kobolds were even smaller and sturdier versions of dwarves. But apparently, they are just intelligent reptiles. (Google image it)

Well, there have been a number of different interpretations of kobolds over the years. The reptile version is based on D&D's kobolds, but the original German myths had them as a variant on goblins/brownies/house spirits, often inhabiting mines and playing tricks.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9367 on: August 19, 2015, 04:47:12 pm »

Well, there have been a number of different interpretations of kobolds over the years. The reptile version is based on D&D's kobolds, but the original German myths had them as a variant on goblins/brownies/house spirits, often inhabiting mines and playing tricks.
DF's kobolds are described as somewhat dog-like. I imagine them like RO's kobolds:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 07:38:13 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

FriarVicaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9368 on: August 20, 2015, 03:56:14 am »

My woodworker just died "fighting" a wood log.

Ridiculous, but on the other hand, good riddance. The guy was always on a break whenever I needed him the most and he also made the most awe-uninspiring artifact: a wooden cage named after himself. He was possessed when he made it so he didn't even become a legendary wood crafter.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 03:57:58 am by FriarVicaris »
WHAT'S THE MATTER ANDY? DON'T YOU WANT TO HAVE SOME !!FUN!!?

SNV

• Bay Watcher
  • The earth just opens up and swallows goblins
    • View Profile
« Reply #9369 on: August 20, 2015, 12:20:48 pm »

I tried to pit giant cave swallow recently.

StumpytheOzzie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9370 on: August 20, 2015, 02:14:26 pm »

Built a bridge over a volcano.

Tested it just as my master leatherworker decides to pick up a lump of galena from the wrong side of the volcano.

On the upside, he discovered some candy in the volcano.
Jesus doesn't embark in terrifying biomes, and these forums certainly count.

achamalacha

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi there, you might know me from other tags like..
    • View Profile
« Reply #9371 on: August 23, 2015, 09:55:29 am »

Recently I tried the retirement mechanics... The wiki states, that the position of dwarfs isn't preserved, and dwarfs are randomly distributed on unretirement, but who gives, right?

On unretirement after fooling around in adventure mode (trapped in a dwarf fortress... who would have guessed) I revisited my well running fort... just to find some semiwild crundles on the loose as well as a stray dragon.
As if this wasn't !FUN! enough, a FB murdered his way through my fortress... Well, FB positions aren't preserved as well...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 11:21:36 am by achamalacha »

Fawnek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9372 on: August 23, 2015, 05:17:59 pm »

well i had a troglodyte fall to his death in the cavern... fell about 4 z levels then slid down the ramp and fell another 2 z levels. blood is all over
We all have an Urist in our lives.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9373 on: August 24, 2015, 06:50:05 am »

DF's kobolds are described as somewhat dog-like. I imagine them like RO's kobolds:

I see them as a sort of canine and reptile hybrid, like Kangaroos or a type of alien Monotreme.
In other words: Cutebolds
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9374 on: August 24, 2015, 07:42:32 pm »

The first time i was working with magma, I didn't realize you had to use magma safe materials. I was at a volcano so my fort flooded from the top down. It was awesome. The only survivor was a dwarf who had an artifact iron door that i locked in his room. I like to think that there's still a tiny stone room holding the dusty bones of a lone dwarf somewhere in the midst of a ever burning fortress. Centuries later, archaeologists will be baffled by this lone stone room surrounded by obsidian, miles below the earth.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.
Pages: 1 ... 623 624 [625] 626 627 ... 729