Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 638 639 [640] 641 642 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126556 times)

Trappington

• Bay Watcher
  • Micromanager for Hire
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9585 on: January 07, 2016, 10:54:32 am »

I'm trying to built a fort that grows its population mostly through births (migrant cap of 25). So I'm being really careful about losing dwarfs and encouraging pregnancies and whatnot.

A year in, a wereraccoon attacked and only infected one soldier before going down. That soldier now resides inside a tiny lockbox on the surface, waiting for when she's needed for defense.

Finally, the fortress had its first birth. Of course, it was the wereraccoon's.

(Strangely enough, once transformed the wereraccoon did not tear her babby to shreds as expected. So I guess I may have the fun of coaxing the child from the werebox a year from now.) EDIT: Nevermind, the valiant baby fell in battle :(

This is why I try to never put female dwarfs into the military.  Well, not the exact reason, or at least not the one I was originally thinking of, but ya know...it all comes with the territory right?

alexs2112

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't remember what that lever is supposed to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #9586 on: January 07, 2016, 05:27:50 pm »

After almost my entire population of animals starved to death underground (around 200) I realized that my pasture was left unactive after a recent siege

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9587 on: January 07, 2016, 08:43:13 pm »

It seems ice is maybe not the best material for building dams (bridges) in the river.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Trappington

• Bay Watcher
  • Micromanager for Hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9588 on: January 08, 2016, 11:15:13 am »

So I had a trapped ettin, and I was planning on training up some marksdwarfs, so I contrived a live target shooting range using fortifications, a spot for the ettin to be released from its cage, and a drawbridge to seal everything up before the release.  Unfortunately, I got things a little mixed up, and the result was the ettin escaping the enclosure.  Fortunately my militia responded quick enough and the foul beast was slain after bashing one of my legendary cook's fingers.   While things ended up O.K., I still could kick myself for messing up with the levers.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9589 on: January 08, 2016, 07:10:21 pm »

Due to a error i think on the raws and a 10000 embark point shopping spree (apparently i have impossible things from the mountainhomes, like pig chitin in the place of silk bags) my future laboratory with my horribly deformed camel people assistants i set out with 20 live uncaged fire snakes without realizing until my wagon and everything around it (including my specimens for a secret project i might post on the forums for science about) were incinerated in heat on level par with dragonfire.

Back to the drawing-board.  >:(

(2nd attempt, fudged it up badly by turning all my dwarfs into useless fish men - not related to experiment, can't access the labours but atleast the embark fishmen are intelligent enough to commit to jobs, raws messed up bad, commiting to reinstalling backup and recommencing experiment)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 07:18:49 pm by FantasticDorf »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9590 on: January 08, 2016, 07:22:59 pm »

Due to a error i think on the raws and a 10000 embark point shopping spree (apparently i have impossible things from the mountainhomes, like pig chitin in the place of silk bags) my future laboratory with my horribly deformed camel people assistants i set out with 20 live uncaged fire snakes without realizing until my wagon and everything around it (including my specimens for a secret project i might post on the forums for science about) were incinerated in heat on level par with dragonfire.

Back to the drawing-board.  >:(

(2nd attempt, fudged it up badly by turning all my dwarfs into useless fish men - not related to experiment, can't access the labours but atleast the embark fishmen are intelligent enough to commit to jobs, raws messed up bad, commiting to reinstalling backup and recommencing experiment)
WTF did you DO?!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #9591 on: January 08, 2016, 09:52:39 pm »

Raw duplication?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9592 on: January 09, 2016, 06:39:28 am »

Raw duplication?

I embarked with the fire snakes paid for (and bolstered the numbers to 20) because i thought they would be caged.  :P

No just a nasty case of getting my custom RAW code modifications wrong (for science & personal reference)

BNDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9593 on: January 14, 2016, 03:20:57 am »

Just recently

'Remove construction' on a 2x1 tower of up+down stairs. Suddenly.

"Something has collapsed on the ground."

Puff of dust on the ground, I think, OK!
Then:
"Urist McTrademaster has been found dead."

2 levels underground I see my master Trader and broker mangled crushed lifeless and dead, slammed thru the floors and crushed by everything possible that came down on him. God damn it.

Then the caravan comes. Needless to say, caravan made a lot more money than they should've that day.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9594 on: January 17, 2016, 06:13:48 am »

... I think I might have 'reclaimed' weapons militiadwarfs were attached to.  :-[
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #9595 on: January 17, 2016, 12:36:26 pm »

trying to make water via magma + ice the wrong way, i froze 4 dorfs

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #9596 on: January 17, 2016, 10:46:04 pm »

I got my militia commander and a marksdwarf killed after they tried to fight a werebeast. 2 dwarves in the squad were observing the lockdown I had put in place and didn't die.

The werepig transformed into a dwarf. I had the two remaining dwarves fight it.

One hit caused the dwarf's neck to fly off in an arc.

If only I had waited instead of panicking...

EDIT: New facepalm moment:

Misspelling "Martial" as "Marital" on the forums. Twice. Three times, in fact!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 10:25:16 am by AzyWng »

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9597 on: January 18, 2016, 04:12:07 pm »

saw on youtube video that you could embark with training axes instead of copper ones to save points.
Removed copper axes. Never added training axes. Dur.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9598 on: January 18, 2016, 06:25:12 pm »

saw on youtube video that you could embark with training axes instead of copper ones to save points.
No need to worry
  • Deconstruct your wagon to get 3 wood.
  • Use one wood for building of carpenter's workshop.
  • Use one wood for crafting of training axe.
  • Enjoy your wood cutting tool and spare wood.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9599 on: January 19, 2016, 09:24:39 am »

No need to worry
  • Deconstruct your wagon to get 3 wood.
  • Use one wood for building of carpenter's workshop.
  • Use one wood for crafting of training axe.
  • Enjoy your wood cutting tool and spare wood.

oh, didn't think of that. Waited until autumn and traded for training axe.
Pages: 1 ... 638 639 [640] 641 642 ... 729