Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126644 times)

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #555 on: November 17, 2009, 05:54:46 pm »

realising closed wooden doors catch fire T_T.

this happened in thunderforests my elven fort. twas vury fun.
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 18, 2009, 09:30:51 am »

realising I'd left adamantine unlocked as a non-economic stone 10 minutes after I restarted my catapult training area..... about 20-30 raw adamantine stones got thrown against walls  :'(

rubberduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 18, 2009, 12:17:39 pm »

My haulers have suddenly decided to show the countess who really makes the rules around my fortress. After her promotion from baroness I'm moving the countess into her new and improved quarters. As part of this, I'm deconstructing the furniture in her old quarters. All of which is masterwork stuff, of course. Suddenly I see one of the haulers tossing the cabinet he had been carrying off the dump point over my bottomless chasm. And the message pops up that a masterwork has been lost.

I scratch my head. Go back to the noble's quarters. Everything looks perfectly ordinary. Seems to be no reason why it happened. Maybe a glitch? I unpause and continue elsewhere. Then he receive the message that 3 more masterwork objects has been lost. This time they dumped the bed, a chest and a table. An uprising of the downtrodden!

Or maybe not. Turned out that I'd designated all the items in that area to be dumped, back when the place was filled with rocks. Hadn't considered that the constructed furniture would also be designated. *Face Palm*

Luckily my legendary mason has built so many masterwork items along the years that he doesn't seem to care the least if a couple of them got tossed into the pit.

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 18, 2009, 12:52:45 pm »

When I lost my entire fort because of I didn't want to leave puppies outside to be slaughtered by orcs  :'(
It really made me sad...
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

SomethingCreative

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 18, 2009, 01:28:25 pm »

"Hm, this area is pretty heavily forested. Better build a paved road so the wagons can reach my depot."

The road hasn't been used in the ten game years since I built it.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: November 21, 2009, 07:47:43 pm »

Learned today that blocks are not only useful for making megaconstructions since they can be stored in bins, but walls made of blocks are actually worth more.

*facepalm*

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: November 21, 2009, 10:06:40 pm »

I don't bother making megaconstructions out of blocks because blocks require the masonry skill and my masons are more helpful building things than carving the rocks into aesthetically pleasing cubes. Cubes seem like a rather elfy invention.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: November 21, 2009, 10:54:47 pm »

blocks require the masonry skill
Just set every dwarf to be a mason and profile the workshops you make other things in to only accept good masons.
Then make another (or multiple) workshop and set it to only accept "bad" masons.  Assign blockmaking to repeat on these.
Eventually every single dwarf will be a good mason, but is that a problem?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 22, 2009, 12:18:13 am »

blocks require the masonry skill
Just set every dwarf to be a mason and profile the workshops you make other things in to only accept good masons.
Then make another (or multiple) workshop and set it to only accept "bad" masons.  Assign blockmaking to repeat on these.
Eventually every single dwarf will be a good mason, but is that a problem?
Agreed. I set "training" workshops to be usable only by the less-competent dwarves and have them crank out crap products using crap materials. Mechanics and masons produce blocks and non-bauxite mechanisms, glass furnaces produce raw green glass, miners dig through bulk stone, etc, etc. Extremely useful in terms of economic production and pre-military skill-ups.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: November 22, 2009, 12:32:49 am »

The main problem with this solution is, there's nothing keeping the good masons from building the walls.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: November 22, 2009, 12:46:13 am »

The main problem with this solution is, there's nothing keeping the good masons from building the walls.

well... they'd be building the walls anyway, so now there's a chance that they aren't the ones that build the walls because there are apprentice masons that might do the work instead...
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Weeaboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Anime Trolling Detected.
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: November 22, 2009, 01:21:28 am »

I built a windmill operated pump. it froze. i sat there for about half an hour and built and rebuilt it tons of time. i realized it was winter. i facepalmed. it hurt too.
Damnit Dwarfs! Stop flooding the mines with lava.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: November 22, 2009, 07:20:21 am »

but walls made of blocks are actually worth more.

I think that's only true when comparing to unengraved walls (or perhaps shoddily engraved ones).

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 22, 2009, 09:58:53 am »

COnstructed walls can't be engraved, and he was referring to megaprojects, which are constructed.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: November 22, 2009, 10:15:28 am »

COnstructed walls can't be engraved,

Which is exactly why I posted what I posted, i.e. that a "natural" wall will still usually end up more valuable than block one.

and he was referring to megaprojects

He claimed they were useful outside of said megaprojects, because of their value, with which I only partially agree.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 729