Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130667 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #900 on: January 14, 2010, 02:58:59 pm »

Another modding Face Palm.

Prepping for a mod I'm working on. Made several new races with a variety of high damage melee attacks. Went into a village to test out the orc-equivalent.

Got my head punched off by a child. [SEVERONBREAKS] is a happy tag.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: January 14, 2010, 04:47:25 pm »

It takes a really long time for a diamond accidentally dumped into your magma garbage pit to stop burning.

Like a year and a half, game time. Maybe longer. I just put a door on the pit and stopped looking after a while.

EDIT: Also, I just had an entire immigrant wave wiped out by a grass fire started by a grouchy imp. It's a new fort, too, and this was the very first immigration wave. I wonder if next year I'm going to get the "no one even thought of coming to this deathtrap" message?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 12:39:46 pm by Fishbulb »

Luna

• Bay Watcher
  • [AMPHIBIOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: January 15, 2010, 06:40:24 pm »

This is less a face palm and more of a "OH ARMOK WE'RE ALL DOOMED".

My fortress recently hit 62 dwarves... The first time I've ever made it over 30. I got a screen telling me there was a seige. "Oh! Cool! I hope my military can handle it!" (At the time I have about 3 wrestlers, 2 hammerdwarves and couple of marksdwarves who refuse to train.) I zoom in on the seige. "Hmm, what's with all the Cs? Are they riding camels or something?" I take a closer look at one. "BRONZE COLOSSUS SPEARMAN" ... Yeah. 40 OF THEM. RIDING HORSES TOWARDS MY PUNY, DEFENCELESS FORT. I don't even have a front door I can lock.

I think I went wrong somewhere when I was modding them to be playable in adventure mode...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: January 15, 2010, 08:51:00 pm »

That sounds awesome.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #904 on: January 15, 2010, 08:54:54 pm »

My thoughts as well.

Urist McScout: "Olin, we have a liiiiittle problem."

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: January 15, 2010, 10:21:17 pm »

Why isn't this pump working? Is it not connected to power? No, its pumping all right. Water source at input, too... I'll disassemble it and rebuild it...

30 minutes later...

Oh, the output is right up against the wall. *facepalm*
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: January 16, 2010, 12:24:09 am »

Also, I just had an entire immigrant wave wiped out by a grass fire started by a grouchy imp.
If you allow yourselves to use exploits: Stockpiles stop grass fires. You don't even have to fill them. Just the act of a higher entity (you) thinking "There should be something there." stops the fire from progressing. Make it accept nothing, just to be safe.

Orris

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you surprised when I touch the dwarf inside?
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: January 16, 2010, 03:41:41 am »

Also, I just had an entire immigrant wave wiped out by a grass fire started by a grouchy imp.
If you allow yourselves to use exploits: Stockpiles stop grass fires. You don't even have to fill them. Just the act of a higher entity (you) thinking "There should be something there." stops the fire from progressing. Make it accept nothing, just to be safe.

That was both the funniest and most informative thing I've read today. Good show.

Mine would probably have to be equipping my legendary swordsman with an adamantite sword, and then wondering five minutes later why a crew of like four new recruits were all sickbed'd after getting dozens of Give Drink: cancellations.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: January 16, 2010, 03:55:08 am »

doesn't seem to work for me...
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

LostxInxThought

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: January 16, 2010, 03:56:51 am »

A dwarven caravan showed up, followed by a goblin siege, I watched the caravan get slaughtered, then, noticing that tha caravan guards handled the last of the goblin marksmen, decided my 1 uninjured champion, 2 sworddwarves, a swordmaster, a hammerdwarf, a spearmaster, and a marksdwarf - the only thing left of my military should handle the 3 squads of goblins, rather than letting all that experience go to waste on weapon traps.

I looked at 2 of the squads, saw lashers, axegobs, and wrestlers, then I assumed the 3rd was roughly the same thing. I was very wrong.

My swordmaster, after getting his 15th kill hit champion, then he lead the charge on squad 3... a squad of only spear gobs
he kills 4 more, then gets a spear to the chest. his lung was punctured by a poorly trained speargob.. I'm happy his family and only friends were killed in a prior incident,  saves me from dealing with the tantrum spiral.

I really should learn to check All the enemy squads...

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: January 16, 2010, 11:23:27 am »

I learned that it was blocks instead of block in the raws to make blocks, so I naturaly go to replace all and it screws up my reactions. So I have to give up my fort with awesome locations of magma, ug, chasm and HFS. And I don't no how to use seeds to get the world back.(Or the modified raws killed the possibility of getting it back.)  :'(

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: January 16, 2010, 12:19:53 pm »

I learned that it was blocks instead of block in the raws to make blocks, so I naturaly go to replace all and it screws up my reactions. So I have to give up my fort with awesome locations of magma, ug, chasm and HFS. And I don't no how to use seeds to get the world back.(Or the modified raws killed the possibility of getting it back.)  :'(

Escape > export local image > export images.

Enjoy!

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #912 on: January 16, 2010, 02:31:38 pm »

Ugh. Had a worker get stuck atop a wall, so I made a makeshift one-tile bridge for him to get off. Checked up on him some time afterwards and some helpful one-dwarf rescue party had erected the bridge, and the worker was gone. Fine, I think, I remove the bridge and go attend to other matters.

Just now I checked to see if the the makeshift bridge had been removed. It had - and the wall was now occupied by a trapped Town Liaison and a child.

:jawdrop:
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: January 16, 2010, 03:02:20 pm »

use a ramp instead, as they're one of the few fixes that cannot go wrong in this regard.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: January 16, 2010, 10:08:55 pm »

Finding out that i can remove natural ramps with d-z instead of digging out the natural walls that the ramps are ramping on...
Just figured that out now...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 729