Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126612 times)

DaJonkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1005 on: January 27, 2010, 05:20:26 pm »

This sounds made up but it really happened to me.. I spend hours of mining and building on my new cliff side fort when I accidentally disconnected the entire fort from the cliff and well you can guess what happened.
- Protector of those who are always used in or are victim of dangerous experiments, random acts of violence, deliberate acts of unnecessary violence, unjust punishment by false blame of error, justed punishment by blame of trivial everyday stuff, oh and mythological species racism in general. (I help them with law stuff and filing basics forms, as claws, tentacles and whatnot can make that difficult... no forms no benefits, travel coverage, ect apparantly in this world *sigh*).

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: January 27, 2010, 06:07:50 pm »

Your computer was found on the street?
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: January 27, 2010, 08:08:06 pm »

This sounds made up but it really happened to me.. I spend hours of mining and building on my new cliff side fort when I accidentally disconnected the entire fort from the cliff and well you can guess what happened.
About 1 fps for half an hour? Lots of Fun? Massive Damage?

Valdier

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: January 28, 2010, 12:54:46 am »

Just had fire imp fat smoldering in my butcher's shop and marked as dump and caught 3 dwarves on fire and burned all my liquor...... oh the humanity!!!!

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: January 28, 2010, 03:09:28 am »

Just had fire imp fat smoldering in my butcher's shop and marked as dump and caught 3 dwarves on fire and burned all my liquor...... oh the humanity!!!!
What a shame. All that booze lost, before its time. The dwarven scotch wasn't even 5 years old yet!  :'( :'( This is one of the reasons I'm very careful about dealing with imps.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: January 28, 2010, 03:50:07 am »

What a shame. All that booze lost, before its time. The dwarven scotch wasn't even 5 years old yet!  :'( :'( This is one of the reasons I'm very careful about dealing with imps.
Booze was made to burn. 8)
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Frankmanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: January 28, 2010, 02:32:14 pm »

causing a cave-in over a magma pipe to 'see what happens' then found out 10 z levels down that I had dug right up along the magma pipe, and the cave-in punctured the roof through all that magma, which sent red hot death flowing through my living quarters

Epic!

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: January 28, 2010, 03:19:47 pm »

How the hell did that happen?
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: January 28, 2010, 03:30:15 pm »

Unless I miss my guess, it was a result of trying to "prettify" the edges by mining out natural tiles and replacing them with constructed walls.  I've done this many times, occasionally dropping small chunks off the side and feeling like a fool.  To do it with a whole fort....  Spectacular.  If you have a save from a few frames before the...incident..., you should distribute it so that people can use it to benchmark processors.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: January 28, 2010, 04:39:00 pm »

Unless I miss my guess, it was a result of trying to "prettify" the edges by mining out natural tiles and replacing them with constructed walls.  I've done this many times, occasionally dropping small chunks off the side and feeling like a fool.  To do it with a whole fort....  Spectacular.  If you have a save from a few frames before the...incident..., you should distribute it so that people can use it to benchmark processors.
Well, there's always Project Cube.

Zancor Mezoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: January 28, 2010, 08:17:46 pm »

I think the most facepalm-deserving moment(s) I have had were when I had to build, and then take apart and reconstruct my magma pumping system (which ran halfway across the map) not once, but twice, even building a power plant for it, only to find that it didn't work...and that there was nothing I could do to make it work.

It took a 100+ dwarf fortress over two years of game time to do it, too. =P
Anyway, I figure that the dwarves are only marginally less wasteful of metal than they are of wood. The moody dwarf's selecting only the best 5% of each bar of metal, and eats the rest to sustain him as he works on the artifact.

Papa Cauldur

• Bay Watcher
  • Eater of Yatagarasu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: January 29, 2010, 06:31:08 am »

I had a really awesome sight once. It had a chasm, a bottomless pit, a magma pipe and lots of trees. Until my Fisherdwarf became a !!Fisherdwarf!!. the Fire imps caused a massive forest fire that made me lose all my booze (Because I was still digging out the dining room, my Woodcutter, Jeweler and Stoneworker.

But on a positive note my Fish Cleaner gave those imps a major asskicking.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #1017 on: January 29, 2010, 09:37:38 am »

I would feel silly too.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

mal7690

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a prerecorded message.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: January 29, 2010, 11:29:04 am »

Smooth and engrave, just smooth and engrave.

My latest was forgetting that magma only acts like water when it is a continuous stream to an operating pump and that a magma fall needs a drainage pipe larger than the inlet flow.

Previous to that I forgot that stone furniture melts, resulting in the loss of several ( :-\ 6) masterpiece statues.
Cat heads, cat heads, roly poly cat heads,
Biting at the dorf necks, now I have dorf heads.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: January 30, 2010, 07:16:59 am »

Not noticing why my dwarfs keep dying, then i decide to follow the odd looking parade and realize they were going across the map to fetch water for two lightly injured wrestlers, lost about five of the most important dwarwes that way, including my metalworkers, outpost broker and leader and my only expirienced bowyer.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 729