Change it to a Jester with the loss of the Next Day phase
- 4 (16%)
Remove it entirely
- 9 (36%)
Other (explain)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 117

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion  (Read 135063 times)

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion
« Reply #1425 on: December 13, 2010, 05:00:11 pm »

I've decided to add a nice ability to the Sentry Guns. They can now be programmed with Facial Recognition that allows the Scientist to put people on a 'safe list'.

I like this. A lot.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: December 13, 2010, 05:00:53 pm »

That seems...

Like a pretty good idea.  Not so great towards the start, much better towards the end.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: December 13, 2010, 05:05:52 pm »

Sign-ups for Bastard Paranormal have started.

This...is going to be interesting.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie thinks you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: December 13, 2010, 05:18:59 pm »

Stun Bomb:  [...]
Good point. It was originally made for the Watcher, who didn't do anything at night anyway. Might need to tweak it a bit.
Who is this Watcher of whom you speak? I don't see it in the role list... only one that watches seems to be the reporter, and he doesn't get tech. Though the Kook description does say "The Kook also talks to himself a lot, and will always show up to a Watcher as having communicated with someone that day." Does this refer to the reporter watching the Kook, or to the other Watcher you mention?

Holoform modulator:[...]
Yeah, it is currently an as-needed item. I probably won't change the normal one. Making the Advanced one trick EVERYONE is probably a good idea. Might also add in a Permanant Holoform as well. Which is just the basic one that never goes away.
I like the permanent one. I don't understand how the advanced one would trick everyone, though. Do you mean everyone who targeted him on the one night it is used? (not many inspections/scans overlap on the same night, I'd think); or maybe that it trumps the scanner tech/others?

I've decided to add a nice ability to the Sentry Guns. They can now be programmed with Facial Recognition that allows the Scientist to put people on a 'safe list'.
Yeah, I also like this a lot, particularly for the late game. It would remain one-shot, though, yes? I'd still like it better if two-shot, but that may be too much.

My soul has been freed by the King of the Mafia.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: December 13, 2010, 05:23:10 pm »

Stun Bomb:  [...]
Good point. It was originally made for the Watcher, who didn't do anything at night anyway. Might need to tweak it a bit.
Who is this Watcher of whom you speak? I don't see it in the role list... only one that watches seems to be the reporter, and he doesn't get tech. Though the Kook description does say "The Kook also talks to himself a lot, and will always show up to a Watcher as having communicated with someone that day." Does this refer to the reporter watching the Kook, or to the other Watcher you mention?

Oh. The Watcher was an Alien at one point. He saw everyone who communicated in the night. His goal was to stretch the game out to x number of days, at which point some huge event happened that made everyone else lose.

Holoform modulator:[...]
Yeah, it is currently an as-needed item. I probably won't change the normal one. Making the Advanced one trick EVERYONE is probably a good idea. Might also add in a Permanant Holoform as well. Which is just the basic one that never goes away.
I like the permanent one. I don't understand how the advanced one would trick everyone, though. Do you mean everyone who targeted him on the one night it is used? (not many inspections/scans overlap on the same night, I'd think); or maybe that it trumps the scanner tech/others?
[/quote]
By that I mean it'd also manage to foil Telepaths and Scanners and the like.

Yeah, I also like this a lot, particularly for the late game. It would remain one-shot, though, yes? I'd still like it better if two-shot, but that may be too much.
[/quote]
We'll see how this goes. One change at a time.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: December 13, 2010, 07:04:53 pm »

A handful of new questions (get them in now before Bastard Paranormal starts, or it would look fishy/scummy to carry out a conversation here!):

1. If a spore-spreader is lynched, up to two townies get turned into spore-spreaders. Do they know each other's identity? Is there any way for a spore-spreader "masonry" to be formed? Since they win if the town wins, they are reasonably town-friendly to be called masons, yes? Can they make a quicktopic mason chat (whether by being informed or deducing each other's identity)?

2. If a spore-spreader is targeted by a NK, the killer is infected only if he's human. That means only a Vig, yes? Is any other human able to NK a SS? Not a PWV/Sentry guns, since the SS can't visit them... On this note: if an assassin bot hits a SS, the bot owner doesn't get infected, yes? If dopp/alien, he's immune, if Mad Scientist, he's not present...

3. A Hivemind is likewise restricted to humans as targets; do they get a cult-chat? Know each other?

4. The Zoologist needs to get a dopp, an alien, and two townies (psychic and non) to win; can he still win if the game rolled no psychics? or if all psychics are dead? Does a townie with a natural mindshield count as a psychic for this? How about a tech-based mindshield built by a MS?

5. Can we assume for the Bastard Paranormal that the previously discussed "all aliens can share tech at will" rule is active?

...more as I think them up.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 07:16:14 pm by Zathras »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: December 13, 2010, 07:11:19 pm »

1. If a spore-spreader is lynched, up to two townies get turned into spore-spreaders. Do they know each other's identity? Is there any way for a spore-spreader "masonry" to be formed? Since they win if the town wins, they are reasonably town-friendly to be called masons, yes? Can they make a quicktopic mason chat (whether by being informed or deducing each other's identity)?
They don't know the other's identity, no. I suppose they could tell people that they're a spore spreader and hope they told the right people, but it's not automatic or anything. Anyone can make a quicktopic if they want, they just have to send me the link.

2. If a spore-spreader is targeted by a NK, the killer is infected only if he's human. That means only a Vig, yes? Is any other human able to NK a SS? Not a PWV/Sentry guns, since the SS can't visit them... On this note: if an assassin bot hits a SS, he doesn't get infected, yes? If dopp/alien, he's immune, if Mad Scientist, he's not present...

Yeah. Currently, a Vig is the only option for that. I just made it a blanket rule to allow for future developments.

3. A Hivemind is likewise restricted to humans as targets; do they get a cult-chat? Know each other?

Yes, the hivemind gets a quickchat. And they know who they all are.

4. The Zoologist needs to get a dopp, an alien, and two townies (psychic and non) to win; can he still win if the game rolled no psychics? or if all psychics are dead? Does a townie with a natural mindshield count as a psychic for this? How about a tech-based mindshield built by a MS?

Natural mind shield or anti-tech field count as psychic. Tech based ones do not. A Zoologist wouldn't be in the game if there wasn't a way for him to win. He can't win if all psychics (or dopps, or aliens) die before he snatches them.

5. Can we assume for the Bastard Paranormal that the previously discussed "all aliens can share tech at will" rule is active?

You can assume for the Bastard Paranormal that all rules are in force...except for specific exceptions that I won't tell you about. ;)
Come play Mafia with us!

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: December 13, 2010, 07:31:28 pm »

Natural mind shield or anti-tech field count as psychic. Tech based ones do not.
OK, are the Mad Scientist's MS/ATF the only human tech-based shields? The rules say Mad Scientists "can build them", but I assumed it meant they have the same chance as anyone else to roll for one or not; it's just that if, say, a reporter, rolls a mindshield, it's natural and he's psychic, but if a Mad Scientist rolls one, it's tech-based and he's not... am I reading this right?

You can assume for the Bastard Paranormal that all rules are in force...except for specific exceptions that I won't tell you about.

And thus the bastardry commences... 8-)
There's nothing (I can find) in the rules as posted on BP that say an Agent-Op or Hivemind can share tech with anyone. I ask, before the game starts: can they? with whom? If you can't answer, then please explicitly say "I can't answer"...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: December 13, 2010, 07:34:32 pm »

A Mad Scientist can roll a natural Mind Shield/Anti Tech Field. He can also choose to build one as his tech choice if he doesn't start with a natural one.

All aliens can share tech with anyone they like at the moment. We'll see how that goes.
Come play Mafia with us!

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: December 13, 2010, 07:54:35 pm »

A Mad Scientist can roll a natural Mind Shield/Anti Tech Field. He can also choose to build one as his tech choice if he doesn't start with a natural one.

Hmmm.... so, a MS has equal chance with everyone else to be psychic and have a mind/tech shield; but if he didn't roll one, and he really wants a shield he can forgo his assassin bot/other cool tech to get a tech-based shield instead? Boooring... I'm willing to bet that has never happened in the last 17 Paranormals.

Unless I'm reading it wrong and he can build it in addition to his bot? But then it'd be free and they'd always take it...

I'm glad to hear the new "tech sharing Aliens" rule is in effect; that ought to prove interesting and will make for some innovations, I'm sure.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: December 13, 2010, 08:06:05 pm »

Nope, never happened. But, since they can upgrade a natural mind shield to an Advanced Mind Shield I couldn't see any reason why I should disallow it. *shrug*

Also, Paranormal has evolved a LOT over the various games. A lot of stuff that's in place now wasn't even in the game for the first few. And a lot of stuff has come and gone over the course of the series.
Come play Mafia with us!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: December 13, 2010, 10:38:19 pm »

Um... Here's a standard question: Agent Op scans Agent on First Night. If he's a Dopp, it's a free lynch. If he's a Human, he has about a 1% chance to be turned into a Dopp later. Either way, it's either a freelynch or masons.

It's kinda like the Disciple of Truth.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #1437 on: December 13, 2010, 10:45:30 pm »

He doesn't know who the Agent is until the end of the first night.  Although that could work on Night 2.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: December 13, 2010, 11:20:16 pm »

Um... Here's a standard question: Agent Op scans Agent on First Night. If he's a Dopp, it's a free lynch. If he's a Human, he has about a 1% chance to be turned into a Dopp later. Either way, it's either a freelynch or masons.

Not exactly.  A dopp detective could get lucky the first night and BS the agent around a bit.  If the agent gets suspicious, knock him off the next available night.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: December 13, 2010, 11:42:57 pm »

Hmmm. I could have both Operatives only flip Operative on death. That would prevent the whole 'confirmed' human aspect, since the town now needs to worry about it being an Exterminator cover instead.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 117